FreeGo Folder slipping gears

Mrs Iffacus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 17, 2016
Donisthorpe
I've only had this bike a couple of months but done over 150 miles. I practised around the local roads before cycling to work. I like to ride on power 1 or 2 to work and ride it almost like a normal bike. Then on the way home I use far more battery power and have a rest. The problem is that I need to use the gears a lot on the hills on the way in and when I stood up to pedal up the hill the gears were slipping. In fact the pedals even got stuck halfway up a hill and I had to get off and move the chain manually to carry on.

I took it back to the shop to get them to adjust the gears but It was still the same. Is there anything I'm doing wrong or will the gears settle down after a while.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if its slipping over the cassette gears ie not griping the teeth and slipping over them then it needs replacing with a new chain and new cassette.

if its not staying in the right gear and moving around over the cassette then it needs indexing and the hi lo settings checked.

Mrs Iffacus

Jun 17, 2016
Donisthorpe
if its slipping over the cassette gears ie not griping the teeth and slipping over them then it needs replacing with a new chain and new cassette.

if its not staying in the right gear and moving around over the cassette then it needs indexing and the hi lo settings checked.
It's not staying in the right gear. I did take it to be adjusted but maybe it needs looking at again.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

if a bike shop cant do that id not bother to go back tbh.

D

Deleted member 4366

The problem is most likely with the bike shop rather than the gears. You need a proper bike technician to sort it. It's not difficult - probably only a turn on the cable adjuster, but somebody, who knows how it should be, needs to confirm what needs adjusting. If you have any mechanical ability, the video above will help. Also have a look at any other Youtube videos on the subject.

This one shows how to adjust the idler gear at 4:15, which is missing from the above one. The idler adjustment might be contributing to your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs Iffacus

Jun 17, 2016
Donisthorpe
Problem solved! Today I was cycling home and the chain snapped. When I arrived home I had a look and one of the pins that hold the chain together was not in properly which is where it had snapped. Chain fixed and no more rattley gears! So after all that it wasn't the gears it was the chain.

Reactions: VictoryV and mw1

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Problem solved! Today I was cycling home and the chain snapped. When I arrived home I had a look and one of the pins that hold the chain together was not in properly which is where it had snapped. Chain fixed and no more rattley gears! So after all that it wasn't the gears it was the chain.
Chances are it will do it again. Been there, done that.
Be prepared to have to replace the chain.

D

Deleted member 4366

It should last forever now. Bikes with hub-motors suffer very little chain wear problems. Mine has done 4000 miles so far and will probably do at least the same again before I look at it. It was the cheapest one I could find on Ebay too. I think you must have been just unlucky to have a faulty chain.

Reactions: Mrs Iffacus

Mrs Iffacus

Jun 17, 2016
Donisthorpe
It should last forever now. Bikes with hub-motors suffer very little chain wear problems. Mine has done 4000 miles so far and will probably do at least the same again before I look at it. It was the cheapest one I could find on Ebay too. I think you must have been just unlucky to have a faulty chain.
Yes you're probably right. I've got other bikes with derailleur gears and only replace the chain occasionally.