Freewheel to cassette conversion?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Hello,

I've had experienced such a pain to remove freewheel once they are on the bike for a little while that I'd like to convert all my motors to cassette...

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have any simple solution for that...

Would... to some extend, having a single speed conversion an alternative to that?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/A2Z-Mountain-Single-Speed-Conversion/dp/B0071A3W7K/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430874406&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=single+speed+conversion+kit+freewheel

Something like this would make changing the gear easy? Or is it a wrong solution?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
wrong solution.
You need an adjustable wrench with a long handle. I use one with 250mm handle, not specially long but long enough, and step on it with my foot.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
As far as I know it's not possible to convert a motor from freewheel to cassette - it's new motor time. The single speed conversion you link to is for a freehub anyway, i.e. it fits on to the same splines as a cassette and isn't a freewheel which is what you would need.

C

Cyclezee

Hi cwah,

It's not that difficult, all you need is a removal tool and spanner with long handle. See this video

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The reason conversion isn't usually possible is that most hub motors uses 12 mm spindles to allow for the hole through the centre for the electrical cable going in.

Cassettes are only suited to the normal 10 mm bike spindles and won't fit over 12 mm ones.

D

Deleted member 4366

What about cassette motors? They have a 12mm axle with the wire up the middle.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I take it that it's a different cassette for those though, I was thinking of the usual Shimano etc which are for 10 mm spindle mounting.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I haven't found any decent tool to remove it easily. I'm not a strong guy either and every time it was such a pain I gave up.

I can't change all my motors to cassette it would be too expensive!

Last edited:

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
cawh go on to youtube and type in RJ THE BIKE GUY. shows how to take them off, even without the proper tools how to strip + rebuild them +brakes ,wheels ,converting from 7 to 10 speed even how to expand the rear stays

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
If it's a problem just take it to a bike shop to undo. It can't surely be a very common task for you to have to do? If you're mostly using high power hub motors the sprocket's not doing much at all, so ought to last many thousands of miles.

Michael

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't found any decent tool to remove it easily. I'm not a strong guy either and every time it was such a pain I gave up.
If right handed, use your left arm over the wheel to pin it down onto the floor and hold a ring spanner end in onto the removal tool with that hand. Then with a hammer in your right hand strike the outer end of the ring spanner sharply to break the initial bond of the thread. The tool will then spin off the freewheel easily.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
I clamp the tool in the vice on my work bench. I leave the wheel nut or skewer keeping a slight tension on the tool. I then grasp the rim and jerk it anti clockwise to break the the initial tightness. Very rarely fails.

D

Deleted member 4366

I take it that it's a different cassette for those though, I was thinking of the usual Shimano etc which are for 10 mm spindle mounting.
But all cassettes go on the same standard spline.

Reactions: flecc

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Could you advise on the right tool to use? My spanner usually flip over it and anyway I never have enough strength and leverage to move it.

I was considering buying a leverage bar but it adds more clutter to my home and I don't know to what extent it's going to be useful

C

Cyclezee

Could you advise on the right tool to use? My spanner usually flip over it and anyway I never have enough strength and leverage to move it.

I was considering buying a leverage bar but it adds more clutter to my home and I don't know to what extent it's going to be useful
If you are only ever wanting to do this once you could take the bike to an LBS and get them to undo it for a couple of quid....or in London 20 quid:eek:

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland

I used to use a 12" shifter but sometimes it would slip off the hex with a really tight Freewheel.
I found an old 9/16 BSW ring spanner about 15 inches long, which was a perfect fit on the freewheel tool. No more slip, and haven't had a problem loosening them since.

Last edited:

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009

For this sort of job I use a length of old scaffolding tube as an extension bar - it fits over the end of most spanners. If you visit a scaffolders yard they will probably sell you a length for around a fiver. Over the years it's been one of the most useful 'tools' I have.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But all cassettes go on the same standard spline.
You can tell I've mostly been a hub gear man! :)

Left the cassettes to the lycras, only freewheels on the rear hub motors I've had, and took it on good faith when told the reason for that (spindle size). It seems was wrongly informed.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk