Front suspension - does it affect range ?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hello all

I was out on a ride today, contemplating a Belgium e-bike tour in the summer, and thinking about range. I normally ride my bikes with the front suspension locked out (rigid) on the road and unlock on bumpy roads or gravel/tracks etc as and when needed.
That got me thinking, as longer rides would presumably result in less fatigue in the arms if I had the suspension active all of the time. But then I thought would having the suspension active (unlocked out) reduce range ? Does a locked out fork bike roll better, and with no bop up and down from the suspension result in less power needed either from me and/or the motor to cover the same distance ?

So in theory, does suspension reduce range ?

Thanks

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
In theory it must, but the numbers I have not the slightest idea about.

It's got to be "polished" tarmac before I lock mine up, probably just the time it's too smooth to sap much energy anyway.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hello all

I was out on a ride today, contemplating a Belgium e-bike tour in the summer, and thinking about range. I normally ride my bikes with the front suspension locked out (rigid) on the road and unlock on bumpy roads or gravel/tracks etc as and when needed.
That got me thinking, as longer rides would presumably result in less fatigue in the arms if I had the suspension active all of the time. But then I thought would having the suspension active (unlocked out) reduce range ? Does a locked out fork bike roll better, and with no bop up and down from the suspension result in less power needed either from me and/or the motor to cover the same distance ?

So in theory, does suspension reduce range ?

Thanks
Probably the effect is too small to be noticeable, and easily outweighed by even a tiny reduction in average speed

Rolling resistance is lower WITH suspension, as not much more than the unsprung weight has to go up and down every little bump, rather than the whole lot.

Comfort is far more important on a tour than any tiny saving. Pack a fast charger and spare battery if you have one.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
A good front suspension fork shouldn't "bop up and down" and l doubt it will affect the range more than marginally

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Thanks all. I'm planning on taking a spare battery, so it makes sense having the suspension active if it has little effect on range
Cheers