Gadget Show tonight

D

Deleted member 4366

You'll have to look very carefully to see me. You shouldn't have any trouble seeing my work though.

19:00 channel 5 if you want to see it.

D

Deleted member 4366

It was a bit disappointing for us what they showed. What actually happened was that Jason beat her by a country mile. When Amy got to the finish, she was so knackered that she laid her bike down and then laid herself on her back next to it gasping for air while Jason leaned on his bike shouting out how great it was. The Volt guys were there, and they didn't look very happy. I guess they asked the Gadget show not to make their bike look so bad, which I guess is fair. I felt a bit sorry for them really. I think that was their new model that got totally annihilated by the Oxydrive. I'll post a video of what actually happened in a couple of days time.

That Boardman with the Oxydrive kit is a seriously fast bike, and it's also very economical with battery usage. I think it has a lot less wind resistance than a typical electric bike because it goes fast so easily. It's now owned by my friend Steve (Saneagle). He's already clocked up a lot of miles on it. When we ride together, he's free-wheeling most of the time while I'm pedalling hard, and I thought my bike was fairly efficient. I liked it so much that I will be building something similar for myself in the not too distant future.

Reactions: saneagle

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
It was a bit disappointing for us what they showed. What actually happened was that Jason beat her by a country mile. When Amy got to the finish, she was so knackered that she laid her bike down and then laid herself on her back next to it gasping for air while .
In most of the video, she looked like she was in too high a gear and not looking comfortable at all.

D

Deleted member 4366

Her bike was limited to 15 mph and it was very windy. The Boardman had a standard Oxydrive kit, but it was unrestricted, so it could reach 25 mph. Back in rest room, she said that she gave it everything that she'd got but Jason must have had a jet pack on his bike.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Her bike was limited to 15 mph and it was very windy.
I never said she should have won the race, I said she was in too high a gear. She was struggling to pedal and looked like she needed to go down a gear or two.

I'm not a great fan of Gadget show anymore. What was the point of putting a bike that's restricted to 15 mph up against a bike that can do 25 mph? It's turning into Top Gear more with every week.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
It was a bit disappointing for us what they showed. What actually happened was that Jason beat her by a country mile. When Amy got to the finish, she was so knackered that she laid her bike down and then laid herself on her back next to it gasping for air while Jason leaned on his bike shouting out how great it was. The Volt guys were there, and they didn't look very happy. I guess they asked the Gadget show not to make their bike look so bad, which I guess is fair. I felt a bit sorry for them really. I think that was their new model that got totally annihilated by the Oxydrive. I'll post a video of what actually happened in a couple of days time.
Her bike was limited to 15 mph and it was very windy. The Boardman had a standard Oxydrive kit, but it was unrestricted, so it could reach 25 mph. Back in rest room, she said that she gave it everything that she'd got but Jason must have had a jet pack on his bike.

Volt could always make a complaint to the ASA quoting your post #8

Another sighting of the Bristol Flyer?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I'm not a great fan of Gadget show anymore It's turning into Top Gear more with every week.
That's why I stopped watching years ago, it seems much is fixed for a desired result.

I remember one comparing a BH verses a Kalkoff where the girl was obviously in the wrong gear, almost had be buying one. Which would still be going?

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I had company last night while the show on. I did see that the the girl was indeed pedaling too hard because of the high gear selection. Even without the kits the two bike were mis matched as well.

I got distracted in the segment where he was on a board with wheels and she was on a segway type of two wheeler. Did I hear it could go 25mph? Even if both were regulated to 15mph, are they legal to use on roads and pavements? I can hear the pedestrians moaning already.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I got distracted in the segment where he was on a board with wheels and she was on a segway type of two wheeler. Did I hear it could go 25mph? Even if both were regulated to 15mph, are they legal to use on roads and pavements? I can hear the pedestrians moaning already.
No, they are illegal almost everywhere in the UK and mainland Europe and Segway have admitted their sales this side of the pond have collapsed. They've now been taken over by the Chinese maker of the imitation Segway!

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I never said she should have won the race, I said she was in too high a gear. She was struggling to pedal and looked like she needed to go down a gear or two.

I'm not a great fan of Gadget show anymore. What was the point of putting a bike that's restricted to 15 mph up against a bike that can do 25 mph? It's turning into Top Gear more with every week.
First time I’ve seen the show for many years. Even then I fast forwarded through it to the bit where the e bikes were shown and if I’d blinked I’d have missed them. It looked like a cheapo version of Top Gear without the sneers and casual racism to me. I thought the show was supposed to be about new gadgets but it was just a crap race format with the various devices shoehorned in.

I would have felt short changed if I’d been a manufacture of one of those things and lent it to the show.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I had company last night while the show on. I did see that the the girl was indeed pedaling too hard because of the high gear selection. Even without the kits the two bike were mis matched as well.

I’d be moaning if they were legal and one of them knocked me over on a pavement. Some of the old folk on mobility scooters are bad enough. Talk about Hell’s Grannies.

Reactions: Emo Rider and flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I would have felt short changed if I’d been a manufacture of one of those things and lent it to the show.
don't knock it, win or lose, still worth £,£££ in PR term.

I did feel sorry for Amy and Volt, what with her bike being restricted, she must have been knackered by the speed limiter when trying to catch up with Jason.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Volt could always make a complaint to the ASA quoting your post #8

Another sighting of the Bristol Flyer?:rolleyes:
That's right, I think though it would be the general regulator ofcom, seeking what I think would be the standard remedy of a prominent apology and explanation, and publication of a ruling on the ofcom website detailing the successful complaint, which would hopefully be picked up on by the press/media. Costs the volt team nothing.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
That Boardman with the Oxydrive kit is a seriously fast bike, and it's also very economical with battery usage. I think it has a lot less wind resistance than a typical electric bike because it goes fast so easily. It's now owned by my friend Steve (Saneagle). He's already clocked up a lot of miles on it. When we ride together, he's free-wheeling most of the time while I'm pedalling hard, and I thought my bike was fairly efficient. I liked it so much that I will be building something similar for myself in the not too distant future.
That'll be a big departure from your usual full suspension style of build, Dave.
No suspension and skinny tyres will certainly give your Brooks saddle a test. :) .

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
That's right, I think though it would be the general regulator ofcom, seeking what I think would be the standard remedy of a prominent apology and explanation, and publication of a ruling on the ofcom website detailing the successful complaint, which would hopefully be picked up on by the press/media. Costs the volt team nothing.
And what are Volt going to complain about?

A girl riding their bike was beaten by a bloke riding a faster one?

There is no regulatory question here and it's stupid to suggest there is one.

Volt could have a pointless moan at the programme makers, as could you, I or anyone else.

All the programme demonstrated is an Oxydrive kit is faster than a standard ebike.

There are posts to that effect on here every day.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
And what are Volt going to complain about?

A girl riding their bike was beaten by a bloke riding a faster one?

There is no regulatory question here and it's stupid to suggest there is one.

Volt could have a pointless moan at the programme makers, as could you, I or anyone else.

All the programme demonstrated is an Oxydrive kit is faster than a standard ebike.

There are posts to that effect on here every day.
Why so hostile? I feel quite stung by your dismissiveness. I think it's at least arguable there was a commercial comparison of the two bikes, with the implication they were comparing two road legal machines, which they were not. The implication is there because 1) the volt is a road-legal machine, and 2) the number of people who possess sufficient private land to make a serious and legal market of 25mph bikes, is countable on your fingers and toes. In light of that it's what the ordinary viewer would have assumed from the section.

You may be right that there is no regulatory question but I think you may be wrong too and it's certainly not stupid to suggest there is one. Does your insult mean that if you're wrong then you think your own comment is stupid? Why accuse yourself of that?

You may be right that anybody (not just Volt) could have standing to make a complaint about this, however, standing may figure in whether a complaint is taken seriously. It is a principle of many tribunals that you must have skin in the game to make a complaint. I don't think it's a pointless complaint though. A few commenters above have said they feel sorry for Volt and I think the reason they feel sorry is because the bike was mis-portrayed as being the slower of two road legal bikes, which it wasn't.

The issue about choosing the wrong gear seems material too, albeit only in the context of what else I've said.

Last edited: