Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Probably the wrong forum but it seems to be the only one that is read on a regular basis.
Aint that the truth lol

PS I should add the "the only one that is read on a regular basis." bit, or my reply may have appeared rude lol

Jerry

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
The easy answer is Yes! I went out again today and ran it in HD mode and to be quite honest I think that HD mode on that camera is just a larger file size rather extra IQ as well.
The sucker grabs the windscreen like the proverbial and I`m quite amazed just how shake free the videos are. I will probably run it in the next quality down from HD as I prefer the size. I like the fact that you can set the length of each shoot from 2 mins, 5 mins and 10 mins and then at the end of each length of time it starts recording all over again at that specific time till the card is full up. It takes 32Gb cards (or lower) which works out at around 10hrs of recording at the highest non hd setting which is enough for most journeys.
It`s not good enough to shoot a wedding on but if I compare to my Canon G9 that I used to fix to my chest when riding my E bike it aint far behind. It will take 5 million pixel stills as well. My main hobby is photography david chilvers's Photo Galleries at pbase.com so I like to play around with the colours and exposure in the latest adobe Photoshop CS6 which is very handy when editing videos and sort of important when using cheap little players. The window mount is almost worth the asking price IMHO.

I suppose it is what it is intended for and that is recording ones journey. I`m going to fix it to the rear window next time out and just let it run so that should be interesting watching what goes on behind. BTW the cigar adapter has enough wire on to reach most car rear windows.

It`s easily light enough to have on your body when on the bike and the good thing unlike when I used the G9 was i had to keep an eye on the clock, stop and reset after every recording if needed for Utube but now I can just set 10 mins and it`s ready. The flip out screen is handy to see whats happening and give you a run down on times etc.

Enjoy

dave

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
well i for one think the 8 gb LCD Digital Voice Recorder Dictaphone looks real cool and for that money looks a bargain, and a real good buy,Brian

Sell one like this

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Yeh! I like the fact that it`s very easy to use( unlike some mp3 players) just drag onto it via the supplied usb lead and your away. Built in speaker is a bit naff but once you plug on phones the sound is really good( and has a EQ settings list) it feels solid as well.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Yeh! I like the fact that it`s very easy to use( unlike some mp3 players) just drag onto it via the supplied usb lead and your away. Built in speaker is a bit naff but once you plug on phones the sound is really good( and has a EQ settings list) it feels solid as well.
Yes i used to have something similar in my recording studio for saving bits i had recorded i think mine was a sony and they sure sound good through the headphones ,amazing really for something small and dont cost too much ,have fun best wishes Brian.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I`ll work on it.

Out of interest I`ve been playing around with several compact cameras today in the van, the supplied window mount did support the other compact cameras quite well( they are probably 4 times the weight). I made up a support using a motorbike handlebar mount that Stumpy gave me( is Stumpy still on the forum?) I fixed it to a piece of timber and screwed it down to the top of the dashboard ( don`t panic, my VW transporter is 12 tears old and i am retired and we use it to transport the e bikes around) anyway it will land up in the field at back one day and with all the holes in and around it from my amateur ham equipment then a few more don`t matter.
So! my latest Fuji X10 that is a superb camera for stills and video was useless when mounted and the video was very wavey (although a good size on screen)
Next I tried my old Canon G9 and I must admit with image stabilising turned off and continuos focus turned off the results were very impressive( shame the max size is only 640x480) but colours were superb.( it`s the camera I used to use strapped to my chest on the E bike)
Next I tried the Samsung EX1, a really nice camera to use with a flip out and reversible screen, results were quite good but it suffered from under exposing due to seeing a bright sky( although for those that might not know you can make so many changes to exposure, colour etc etc in the latest Adobe Photoshop CS6 when editing your videos in that program)

So the Canon G9 came out on top and other than image size it really is a good video camera (it will be better when I add an stabilising support of some sort to my made up bracket in the morning.
How does the Canon compare to the £16 friday night special, well the Canon wins hands down for image quality and colours out of the camera (it should do really when you consider it cost around £400 when new) but the max record time is 30mins and you have to restart the recording yourself for the next 30 mins and so on where as the cheapo just goes on record strips of either 2 mins, 5 mins or 10 mins till the card is full and of course runs on power via the supplied cigar adapter. It doesn`t suffer any blips and hangs well on the supplied easy to fit sucker mount. Is there a draw back at £16? yes, the colours could be better out of the camera, if you have a video editing software like CS6 (or even elements i think) then you can change exposure, colours etc. If you want the camera to do purely what it is intended for (record your journey in the event of a mishap so you have proof of who was at fault) then it`s an amazing cheap and easy to use bit of kit.

Dave

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I made up an assembly to take larger cameras rather than use the sucker. You`ll notice I still had to add a stabilizer to stop vibration.It`s a motor bike mount with the G clamp removed. Problem was that I had to remove nearly everything to get at the camera battery and card so I did some engineering and cannibalized an old Manfroto quick release tripod mount allowing me to remove the camera and leave the mount perfectly set up ready for use without any faffing around.
Further down the gallery you`ll see a Cyclamatic Folder using 2 x 12V SLA batteries after the original battery gave up the ghost.
_CHI3872.jpg photo - david chilvers photos at pbase.com

Dave

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
can you upload some video to youtube?
Coming soon. BTW that cigar power lead goes from front to back of my VW transporter van and some to spare.