Gazelle Orange Innergy rebuild

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
All KT displays work with all KT controllers. What do you mean by " doesn't seem to work". If it doesn't switch on, there's no battery connection to your controller.

Rogern

Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2023
All the lights come on the display; but the power from the hub motor doesn’t come on and it show an error message 3 which is related to the HALL sensors which this motor doesn’t possess!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
All the lights come on the display; but the power from the hub motor doesn’t come on and it show an error message 3 which is related to the HALL sensors which this motor doesn’t possess!
There are two types of KT controller. One works with hall sensors, the other doesn't. Which one do you have?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Does the KT lcd5 have the five extra L parameters ?

Rogern

Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2023
It’s on eBay uk; description:- 24V 20A KT Ebike Electric Bicycle Controller for 250W 350W Brushless Motor(cost £33.60)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It’s on eBay uk; description:- 24V 20A KT Ebike Electric Bicycle Controller for 250W 350W Brushless Motor(cost £33.60)
The listing doesn't say anywhere that it's for sensorless motors. It looks like it's a normal one for sensored motors to me. Sensorless KT controllers are normally square wave ones.

KT sensorless controllers don't work with all motors when sensorless. If I wanted to run sensorless, I'd use a different brand. The cheaper brands don't have such nice control systems for the rider, but they seem to get on much better as far as keeping the motor in sync. The guy that made the original guide for repairing your bike used a KT square wave controller for sensorless motors, which worked, so you'll probably be OK with KT, but IMHO, it's an unnecesssary expense. Here's what he wrote:

"In spite of the article above, my Gazelle’s motor HUB has no HALL Sensors. So I had to find an ebike controller which is compatible with KT displays and can drive the motor without HALL sensors.

The naming of the product is very critical, it should be like controller for Dual mode or sensorless motors. Controllers named as sine wave motors are not able to control motors without HALL sensors — or motors faulty HALL sensors. E.g. I ordered the Dual Mode variant of the beautifully named LOLTRA E-Bike Controller Sine Wave/Dual Mode KT Controller for 36V/48V Electric Bicycle DC Hub Motor and KT Display."

Last edited:

Rogern

Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2023
Thanks for that; I’ve ordered that exact model of controller from Aliexpress. I’ll give that a go when it arrives next month. I have to tidy up the wiring in the meantime, can you recommend a method of joining these small wires without soldering, I was looking at these heat shrink connectors? Any other suggestions please?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for that; I’ve ordered that exact model of controller from Aliexpress. I’ll give that a go when it arrives next month. I have to tidy up the wiring in the meantime, can you recommend a method of joining these small wires without soldering, I was looking at these heat shrink connectors? Any other suggestions please?
Soldering and heartstrings is the best method. Why don't you want to do that?

Advertisers