Gear Sensor on Carrera

Daz73

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2020
Afternoon,

As the title says, has anybody fitted one, I have a few vids all showing a gear cable covering which the carrera doesnt have.. its just a bare cable

thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Afternoon,

As the title says, has anybody fitted one, I have a few vids all showing a gear cable covering which the carrera doesnt have.. its just a bare cable

thanks
Which Carrera? You only need them on bikes with crank motors.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Wherever an outer terminates, you cut off outer the same length as the sensor and thread the cable through. All bikes have an outer gear cable somewhere.

If you buy a new inner cable (recommended), the extra length means that you don't need to cut anything, but the adjacent section of the cable then becomes 2 inches longer, so you get a bigger loop in that section.

IMHO, a gear sensor is well worth it on any crank drive that doesn't already have one.

Daz73

Jun 19, 2020
That's it I don't have an out, apart from the very end of the cable.. see pic , cable outer end just under the C of Carrera

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The gear sensor connector is near the motor and seems to work cleaner ,than if pugged in at the handle bars instead of one of the brake cut outs. Just change the gear cable outer

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The gear sensor connector is near the motor and seems to work cleaner ,than if pugged in at the handle bars instead of one of the brake cut outs. Just change the gear cable outer
How difficult is it to lengthen the wire? Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the wires for the brake sensors and gear sensor are all joined together in the controller.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

Daz73

Jun 19, 2020
thanks for all the replies. i'll give it a go tomorrow , I'll place it nearish to the motor, should be fine :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
thanks for all the replies. i'll give it a go tomorrow , I'll place it nearish to the motor, should be fine :)
If you buy a new gear cable, you can run it all the way from the shifter to the derailleur. You can route the cable wherever you want and cut the outer wherever you want to position the sensor wherever you want. You don't have to use the existing cable guides.

Reactions: Daz73