Geeko conversion kit

banzaibilly

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2023
I have a geeko the controller is separate from the battery it is in the holder.
I also have a swytch I might try the geeko battery on it if I do I’ll let you know what happens

fkv

Just Joined
Sep 22, 2023
I have a geeko the controller is separate from the battery it is in the holder.
I also have a swytch I might try the geeko battery on it if I do I’ll let you know what happens
Great, let me know what the outcome is.

Johann16

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2023
I am interested in getting a rear wheel Geeko in 250W or 350W for my Triban 520 with disc brake.
I have not seen any road bikes converted on YT using this kit but if the wheel is right -700C the main area that concerns me is the diameter of the hub - attached. I don't see why this should be an issue - but I can see how it could be. Before going out & spending money on it I would appreciate any feedback on whether this is likely to be problemmatical or whether it looks okay & whether there are likely to be any other issues that I am missing. Thanks.

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I am interested in getting a rear wheel Geeko in 250W or 350W for my Triban 520 with disc brake.
I have not seen any road bikes converted on YT using this kit but if the wheel is right -700C the main area that concerns me is the diameter of the hub - attached. I don't see why this should be an issue - but I can see how it could be. Before going out & spending money on it I would appreciate any feedback on whether this is likely to be problemmatical or whether it looks okay & whether there are likely to be any other issues that I am missing. Thanks.

What problem do you see with the diameter of the hub? Do you think it's too big, too small or what, and why? Or do you mean the axle?

Johann16

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2023
What problem do you see with the diameter of the hub? Do you think it's too big, too small or what, and why? Or do you mean the axle?
I don't see that there is a problem - measuring it quickly with disc it seems close. But it has to be spot on. Is there any reason why it could be a problem ie would a Triban 520 Disc brake rear wheel be any different from any other road bike where you would be looking to buy a piece of kit like this. Ie are there standard measurements for hubs/ axles or do different manufacturers have different width hubs or axles that might make a purchase of a rear wheel 700C engine like this a gamble. Seems like I will have to take a leap in the dark at the moment, all the YouTube vids with hybrids/ MTBs & seems straightforward but nothing on a roadbike like a Triban. Thanks.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I don't see that there is a problem - measuring it quickly with disc it seems close. But it has to be spot on. Is there any reason why it could be a problem ie would a Triban 520 Disc brake rear wheel be any different from any other road bike where you would be looking to buy a piece of kit like this. Ie are there standard measurements for hubs/ axles or do different manufacturers have different width hubs or axles that might make a purchase of a rear wheel 700C engine like this a gamble. Seems like I will have to take a leap in the dark at the moment, all the YouTube vids with hybrids/ MTBs & seems straightforward but nothing on a roadbike like a Triban. Thanks.
I don't see any problem fitting that motor. You often need an extra 12mm washer on the axle to bring the disc in line with the caliper, which will help with any rim off-set too.

Motors normally fit in the rear drop-outs OK without filing, but occasionally, you need to file a few microns off the drop-outs to get it in. I always like to file the drop-outs a bit deeper because the 12mm axle brings down the centre by about 2mm. Filing them deeper and giving a profile to match the shape recentres the axle for perfect brake positioning.

Reactions: Johann16

Johann16

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2023
I don't see any problem fitting that motor. You often need an extra 12mm washer on the axle to bring the disc in line with the caliper, which will help with any rim off-set too.

Motors normally fit in the rear drop-outs OK without filing, but occasionally, you need to file a few microns off the drop-outs to get it in. I always like to file the drop-outs a bit deeper because the 12mm axle brings down the centre by about 2mm. Filing them deeper and giving a profile to match the shape recentres the axle for perfect brake positioning.

Cool, thanks for this appreciate it.

I just got an answer from Geeko re: wheel width -

'Hi, the outer width of the rims we offer is 25MM, rim height is 22cm, double-wall aluminium rims, suitable for 1.5-2.2(or 700X20C) width tyres,'

Surely my 700x28 tyres are the way to go on this - internal width I do not know - but this should be on the face of it fine isn't it? Thanks.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Cool, thanks for this appreciate it.

I just got an answer from Geeko re: wheel width -

'Hi, the outer width of the rims we offer is 25MM, rim height is 22cm, double-wall aluminium rims, suitable for 1.5-2.2(or 700X20C) width tyres,'

Surely my 700x28 tyres are the way to go on this - internal width I do not know - but this should be on the face of it fine isn't it? Thanks.
Why don't they just say whatb rim it is or its size designation. They say 25mm outer width, which nobody uses. let's say the rim is 2.5mm thick. That would make it a 700 x 20C rim, which is what they have in brackets later. In that case, it's perfect for a 28mm tyre.

Reactions: Johann16

Johann16

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2023
Why don't they just say whatb rim it is or its size designation. They say 25mm outer width, which nobody uses. let's say the rim is 2.5mm thick. That would make it a 700 x 20C rim, which is what they have in brackets later. In that case, it's perfect for a 28mm tyre.

Can't do it - Geeko & all rear motors seem to require a thru axle & the Triban is a Quick Release - messing around with dropouts is not really going to work. So will have to move to a mid mounted motor. So many little details in this makes it difficult when there is no showroom dem to talk to on site about all the nuance in it. Thanks for your help.