gepida berig yamaha or bosch system which is best

roadster

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2011
Hi, Seen the Gepida berig with the Yamaha or bosch system - just wondering which you guys think is the best system out of the two..

And any one got any information on Gepia as a brand - not one I have seen before..

Thanks in advance..

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
The Yamaha version appears to be last years model, and is only 26v, so the Bosch bike is more powerful with 36v.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Hi, Seen the Gepida berig with the Yamaha or bosch system - just wondering which you guys think is the best system out of the two..
Providing links of what you've seen would be a good start :rolleyes:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
The Kalkhoff Impulse system is the best. A recent ADAC (German equivalent of the AA)/Stiftung Warungtest (German equivalent of Which?) comparison rated Impulse over Bosch in terms of range and riding experience, and the bikes are better value. They've been winning ExtraEnergy awards for years too. The Kalkhoff Agattu is most likely the best-selling premium electric bike across Europe, including the UK.

More on Impulse here Kalkhoff Impulse Introduction | 50cycles Ltd

If you're considering a crank drive electric bike, you should definitely try a Kalkhoff Impulse bike.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Gepida are made in Hungary. I have tried the Bosch powered Gepida and it's a pretty good bike. However, I would agree with Tim, the Kalkhoff is better (and is better value).

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The Yamaha version appears to be last years model, and is only 26v, so the Bosch bike is more powerful with 36v.
The voltage makes no difference to the power delivered by the motor under these circumstances. Both motors should be rated the same. The fact that one uses a 36 Volt supply and the other a 26 Volt supply should not sway your decision.

As far as I can see, the battery connects almost directly to the motor unit, as is commonly the case with this type of crank drive. Therefore, additional losses due to the increased Amps required by lower Voltage Yamaha should be minimal.

Having said this, I'd still probably go with the Bosch. It seems to be a more popular unit so is likely to be better supported. Or, have a look at the Kalkhoffs.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
The voltage makes no difference to the power delivered by the motor under these circumstances. Both motors should be rated the same. The fact that one uses a 36 Volt supply and the other a 26 Volt supply should not sway your decision.
Well technically a brushless motor will do a certain number of revs per volt, so more volts=more revs. So if you want the same power from lower voltage, it can be done, if there's more amps available from the controller to bring the watts to the same level, together with the gearing.

All that being said, even the worst 36v bike i've ridden has felt better than the best 24v bike in terms of power.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I don't know the technicalities but in my experience the 26v Panasonic motor (that I tried on a Swiss Flyer) was completely gutless compared with the 36v Bosch and Kalkhoff Impulse motors. Also, my 48v Brompton conversion is way more powerful than both of these.

D

Deleted member 4366

The 26v and 36v Panasonic crank-motors are completely different. The 36v one has substantially more power, and is similar (powerwise) to the Bosch. I found the 26v one absolutely gutless, even when compared with a 36v 250w hub-motor.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I prefer the Bosch system having ridden Panasonic and Impulse. However like Tim and Jonah I have an invested interest. So the best advice is to try both. The advantage of the Bosch system is there are local dealers in alot of areas. Plenty of excellent reviews for Bosch powered bikes but it is about find the best bike for you. If you buy from us you benefit from our excellent customer service which few will match.

Good luck with the search!
David