Gepida lifetime frame guarantee

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
If you purchase a Gepida electric bike and register your purchase on their Hungarian website within one month, you are guaranteed a lifetime guarantee on the frame. I wasn't told this when I bought it, I found it on the website myself. Not sure if that is common or not but thought it worth mentioning.

Loving the bike by the way! :O) SO happy to be cycling regularly once again.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's uncommon, six years is fairly common, but in practice most well designed bike frames are good for a lifetime. Even in the days of steel, potentially rusty frames post WW2, many people were still riding twenty and thirty year old bikes which suffered no frame failures.

The life limiters of electric bikes are the electrical parts, many dropping out of use and scrapped while still perfectly sound bicycles.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Well hopefully its built like the very old bike I once bought from Brick Lane market. It was sturdy and lasted me for years, until Mountain bikes came onto the market and I was persauded away. I have to say I preferred my old bike!!

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
There is an amusing anecdote about the transition from the old bike to the new bike......

I used to ride on many of the charity bike rides. My friend rang me at work but I was very busy and distracted - so she quickly asked if I wanted to take part in one from Kings Cross to Cambridge - I said yes then quickly asked how long this ride was (we usually did rides of 35-50 miles long). She said 'oh about 35 miles'. I didn't give it a thought. She sent off for the forms etc.

Meantime my husband (then boyfriend) had persauded me to switch to a mountain bike. When I bought it I asked if I should use my existing saddle or the new one as I was doing a 35 mile bike ride. I was told 35 miles should be fine with the new saddle.

The week of the bike ride - she phoned and asked how I was getting to the bike ride. Bear in mind she lived in West London and I lived in South London and we both regularly rode to work into the centre of London.....I said I was riding from South London and she replied "Oh you're brave! I am putting my bike into a black cab". I thought it a bit strange but didn't query it.

So on the day I cycled from South London to Kings Cross (no big deal). We lined up at the start, and the man on the loud hailer said (and I quote) "Ladies and Gentlemen, its 65 miles from here...." I looked at my friend horrified. She looked at me a bit sheepish and said "oh yes...ummmm, I meant to tell you".

You think of Cambridge as flat, but you don't think how many country lanes have hill after bend, after hill over and over.

After about 50 miles of the charity ride I was feeling the pain. Children were overtaking me (ahem) and for the first time ever on a bike ride I felt sorry for myself!.

I didn't finish the ride. I managed until about 2 miles - I just couldnt pedal anymore. I felt a failure.

The joke is, after the train ride back to Kings Cross and a lovely rest on the train I then cycled home to South London! I arrived walking like John Wayne had lost his horse and had several blisters on my backside.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
That frame guarantee Penny reminds me of my first new bike which I bought for £12 in 1950 .My Father paid half and myself the other £6 . It was a fixed wheel `Hercules` , distinguished at the time by a square rubber surround rear reflector .The main feature was that it had a 55 year guarantee . I rode it for 6 years around the Barry area and then when I went to Yeovil as an Aircraft Apprentice , I rode it every day to the Factory at the bottom of the town and back to my digs right at the top of the town on the Ilchester Road . I was young and fit at the time but it was still a drag back up the hill with no gears . Anyway the point of this tale is that a few years later I moved digs lower down and then bought my first Motorcycle for £80 , a 3 year old Norman with a 250cc British Anzani two-stroke twin engine .That`s why I treated myself to another two-stroke twin for my 70th birthday , but I digress .When I left the area a few years later in 1960 , I left the bike behind in the Landlady`s coal shed .So I never found out whether the 55 year guarantee was worth anything !

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Something just heard on a BBC Radio 4 program "When Wesley Went to Winchester", by the man who was the first to win a bursary to a private school in the scheme first proposed by Winston Churchill.

He said, "It was 1947 and I arrived at the school on my Raleigh Superb bicycle which I still ride - - - - - -"

So there's an example of a bike that's something over 64 years old and still in use.

When that bike was bought as I well remember, no-one ever referred to or thought about warranties, it was just assumed that bicycles were well made and lasted for years, which they did.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Wow - that is amazing!
I love those old bikes!

Something just heard on a BBC Radio 4 program "When Wesley Went to Winchester", by the man who was the first to win a bursary to a private school in the scheme first proposed by Winston Churchill.

He said, "It was 1947 and I arrived at the school on my Raleigh Superb bicycle which I still ride - - - - - -"

So there's an example of a bike that's something over 64 years old and still in use.

When that bike was bought as I well remember, no-one ever referred to or thought about warranties, it was just assumed that bicycles were well made and lasted for years, which they did.