Giant E-Road +1 The Ride Home

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nothing ever goes exactly as planned does it?
Picked up my new bike and the problems start here.. Display is in KM not Miles and they dont know how to change it..
But not to worry, there is no one to ring on a Saturday so its wait till monday for a fix.
Anyway the machine itself is in a Matt Black and Turquoise colour2016-08-06 15.18.41.jpg , and feels safe and secure on the road (probably the weight) and the ride home included a 2.5 mile 800ft drag which would kill me on a normal bike but the yamaha motor made it feel so easy, so easy in fact that I found myself pushing much more than I would on my Bosch bike with the power floating in and out almost seamlessly. Brakes (SW) feel excellent and well up to the job leaving me with just a few adjustments to make regarding the best saddle position. 9.5 Miles and 800 ft used 10% of available battery (according to the display).
Riding position is excellent and motor noise minimal.. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable ride..

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Found this....hope it helps

Step-by-step guide

1. Make sure that the display is mounted on the display holder.
  2. If the display unit is turned on, turn it off.
  3. Hold down the function select switch, and then press the power switch (while continuing to hold down the function switch).
  4. When the "hour" on the clock begins to flash, release the switches.
  5. Use the assist mode switches (up & down) to set the "hour".
  6. Press the function select switch, and the "minutes" on the clock will begin to flash.
  7. Use the assist mode switches (up & down) to set the "minutes".
  8. Press the function select switch, and the distance (km or mile) and speed (km/h or MPH) will begin to flash.
  9. Use the assist mode switches (up & down) to switch between km & km/h and mile & MPH.
  10. Press the power switch. This will save the settings.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Found this....hope it helps

Step-by-step guide

1. Make sure that the display is mounted on the display holder.
  2. If the display unit is turned on, turn it off.
  3. Hold down the function select switch, and then press the power switch (while continuing to hold down the function switch).
  4. When the "hour" on the clock begins to flash, release the switches.
  5. Use the assist mode switches (up & down) to set the "hour".
  6. Press the function select switch, and the "minutes" on the clock will begin to flash.
  7. Use the assist mode switches (up & down) to set the "minutes".
  8. Press the function select switch, and the distance (km or mile) and speed (km/h or MPH) will begin to flash.
  9. Use the assist mode switches (up & down) to switch between km & km/h and mile & MPH.
  10. Press the power switch. This will save the settings.
Cheers but tried that at the shop and it didn't work so must be a different variant

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id still change them for floating ones ;)

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Does anyone have experience of the yamaha motor de-restricted,i tried the Giant road E+ and i would need the cutout higher.
The bike does have a very good geometry and riding position.

Mortlake

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2015
Surrey
When the control panel is removed from the bike, does it display the time? If not the battery is flat and it will default back to km/h when it's plugged back onto the bike and gets it's power from there. Well that's what happened on my yamaha powered haibike. Replacing the CR2032 battery fixed the problem.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
When the control panel is removed from the bike, does it display the time? If not the battery is flat and it will default back to km/h when it's plugged back onto the bike and gets it's power from there. Well that's what happened on my yamaha powered haibike. Replacing the CR2032 battery fixed the problem.
I think the display isn't that sophisticated and is quite minimal. It looks like it's different to the mtb yamaha displays only giving speed, average speed, time riding, trip and odometer. No clock that I can see.
But.. I have just drunk a bottle of wine which tends to dull the senses..

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm working tonight so can't toast your new bike with you :(

You could just stay in km/h... It is only a number. Then if you really, really need to know how fast you were going down that hill or how far you rode divide by 1.609. :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just to add, and it might seem a small thing ,but it has a bottle mount!
One of the frustrations with my ebikes is no bottle mount, so I get where you are coming from.

I've bolted a bottle cage onto the handlebars of the Rose and it's proved very handy on a few group rides with roadies in which we are pressing on.

Being able to get a slurp on the move or at traffic lights is essential in that type of company.

Your new bike looks well.

First impressions count with any new bike, so I reckon you are going to get on well with it.

• Agree

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Its Saturday morning and I cant sleep! Well, with a new bike in the garage and no rain forecast there is only one thing to do.. Unfortunately its blustery out and normally I wouldnt bother..
But..
My planned route was Keighley to Coln via Skipton and Grassington, but because of the wind I turned right at Skipton, up the side of the church to Bolton Abbey. From there to Addingham and back home over Cringles (again).
I set off to Skipton in eco mode as its my prefered mode when riding on the road, but today we have a strong head wind with side gusts in which the bike is surprising stable and even riding in eco mode it copes quite well enabling me to exceed the cutoff reasonably easily so I cant wait for the tail wind further on. I am getting quite a few waves and nods from the lycra brigade so obviously they dont notice the battery as no self respecting cyclist would ever acknowledge a cheater..
On a short steep bit rather than go up a mode I got out of the saddle and it literally leapt forward giving me the "E-Bike Grin", the only disappointment being no roadies to overtake.. Yes I know, not cool, but I like doing it!!
The downhill run to Bolton Abbey was really good as with the tail wind I was able to go much faster than normal, and all was fine until the Cringles turn off in Addingham where I hit the wind full on and although I was determined to do it all in eco, I had to go up a mode just to make progress and was glad to finally get home.. I hate the wind!
Distance covered 22 miles 1400 ft and used 24% of the battery with which I am more than happy .
Points of note..
The motor is really quiet and smooth and I didn't get that treacly feeling as power cuts out, and bike is stable in crosswinds.
On this ride I achieved 11 PB's on Strava most of which were on low or negative gradients and were made on both E-MTB's and a Normal Road Bike over the last 18 months
I dont like the mode control as its hard to push the buttons and it means taking your hand completely off the bars to use it but with drop bars I suppose it has to be like that.
The display shows all the information you need on one screen showing Speed, Distance, Trip Time, Trip Distance, Battery and power, with a second screen showing the averages and odo.
The ride was a bit harsh on the really rough roads at speed but I suspect the tyres are at 120psi so there will be improvement here when I let them down to 80 or so.
I do like the ability to charge in situ without removing the battery, so its just a case of plugging it in..display.jpg
My best buy (bike wise)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Sounds very positive, I spotted that the switch wouldn't work as well as the Bosch one on straight bars. More integration would mean a custom switch.
Does yours have 4 power settings. or 5 if you include off?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sounds very positive, I spotted that the switch wouldn't work as well as the Bosch one on straight bars. More integration would mean a custom switch.
Does yours have 4 power settings. or 5 if you include off?
Eco,normal and Sw
Its Saturday morning and I cant sleep! Well, with a new bike in the garage and no rain forecast there is only one thing to do.. Unfortunately its blustery out and normally I wouldnt bother..
But..
My planned route was Keighley to Coln via Skipton and Grassington, but because of the wind I turned right at Skipton, up the side of the church to Bolton Abbey. From there to Addingham and back home over Cringles (again).
I set off to Skipton in eco mode as its my prefered mode when riding on the road, but today we have a strong head wind with side gusts in which the bike is surprising stable and even riding in eco mode it copes quite well enabling me to exceed the cutoff reasonably easily so I cant wait for the tail wind further on. I am getting quite a few waves and nods from the lycra brigade so obviously they dont notice the battery as no self respecting cyclist would ever acknowledge a cheater..
On a short steep bit rather than go up a mode I got out of the saddle and it literally leapt forward giving me the "E-Bike Grin", the only disappointment being no roadies to overtake.. Yes I know, not cool, but I like doing it!!
The downhill run to Bolton Abbey was really good as with the tail wind I was able to go much faster than normal, and all was fine until the Cringles turn off in Addingham where I hit the wind full on and although I was determined to do it all in eco, I had to go up a mode just to make progress and was glad to finally get home.. I hate the wind!
Distance covered 22 miles 1400 ft and used 24% of the battery with which I am more than happy .
Points of note..
The motor is really quiet and smooth and I didn't get that treacly feeling as power cuts out, and bike is stable in crosswinds.
On this ride I achieved 11 PB's on Strava most of which were on low or negative gradients and were made on both E-MTB's and a Normal Road Bike over the last 18 months
I dont like the mode control as its hard to push the buttons and it means taking your hand completely off the bars to use it but with drop bars I suppose it has to be like that.
The display shows all the information you need on one screen showing Speed, Distance, Trip Time, Trip Distance, Battery and power, with a second screen showing the averages and odo.
The ride was a bit harsh on the really rough roads at speed but I suspect the tyres are at 120psi so there will be improvement here when I let them down to 80 or so.
I do like the ability to charge in situ without removing the battery, so its just a case of plugging it in..View attachment 14905
My best buy (bike wise)

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Does anyone have experience of the yamaha motor de-restricted,i tried the Giant road E+ and i would need the cutout higher.
The bike does have a very good geometry and riding position.

if you want a dongle id get the bad ass one as to avoid opening up the motor and using one of those type ones and avoid any problems as these are giants own Yamaha motors/batts and lcd screens so some might not work as intended.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative