Giant Escape Hybird 1 - would you?

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
Hello all,

I'm in the market to buy my first pedelec, I'm wanting to start cycling again, mainly to loose weight and improve overall fitness, but also to stop using the car for short journeys. I've been looking various makes/models, but it's all a bit of a minefield for a newbie!

I'll be riding aroung the Selby/York area, so nothing really hilly, but we do get a fair amount of headwinds due to the area's flatness. I want something that will be as happy on the canal towpath and local countryside cycle paths as well as on the road. Ideally looking for something that can handle a 25 mile round trip easily.

I live less than 15 miles away from Fulford Cycles in York, they have a good reputation and some good deals on ex-demo Giant bikes, but sold with full warranty and shop backup.

The Giant Escape Hybrid 1 has caught my eye and should be available for around £1200 ex demo.

I planning on visiting the shop on Saturday morning, so any feedback positive or negative will be welcome!

Thanks for reading,

Richard

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Giant bikes are good quality, certainly some of the best of oriental construction, and they and their dealers are good with support. These later series hub-motor e-bikes are much better than the original Twist 1 and 2 models, so a safe buy if it suits you.

But of course try first, e-bikes are a very personal thing and you will need to feel at home on it.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
The Giant Escape Hybrid 1 has caught my eye and should be available for around £1200 ex demo.
Richard

Hi and welcome Richard.

£1200 buys the opportunity to select from a very wide range of decent, good quality ebikes at the present time. Flecc's comment,
e-bikes are a very personal thing and you will need to feel at home on it.
is really important and shouldn't be taken lightly.

I have a selection of bikes available to me and although my first electric-assisted bike is the slowest and heaviest of my fleet, it really is the most comfortable and delightful ride of them all. Like that favourite old armchair or that sloppy old jumper or cardigan is difficult to throw away, I'd hate to not have it there to ride.

Why do I like it so much? Because it fits perfectly and I feel really at one with it, big and unwieldy though it may be. It's not the fastest, not the most powerful but it does for me exactly what Flecc has pointed out in his reply to you.

Regards,
Indalo

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
Thank you for your replies flecc & indalo.

I have decided to book Monday as holiday from work to take more time to look at and test-ride the Giant, I will also have a look at other e-bike stockists in York.

I'm after a hybrid style cycle that is happy on the road and the tracks near home. I also want something with a full range of gears.

I've had Giant cycles before and have had good service from them, it also appeals that the dealer is close to home and has a good reputation.

I'll report back with my findings!

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
"would you?"

Nope because I think you can do better with that budget....

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
"would you?"

Nope because I think you can do better with that budget....
Can you go into a bit more detail please :)

Ideally I want something that has 700c wheels rather than fat mountain bike rims, however I may be missing out on some good machines, so I am flexible with that.

Any suggestions about what else I should at least look at are very welcome!

Last edited: