giant lafree battery

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi i was wondering if any of the technical guys could look at this battery on ebay no is 350111054004 and tell me if they think it could be put in lafree battery box to produce a replacement battery

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid it almost certainly won't fit in the box Jim, since it will be too wide as the cells are a very different shape. I don't know the exact dimensions of course, but know enough of lithium relative sizes to judge it too wide

More importantly is that lithium batteries have to have an electronic battery management system incorporated and my technical German isn't up to knowing whether that pack has it built in. Since it's supplied with a charger I suspect it is incorporated, but can't be certain.

Maybe someone's German language skills will enable to to translate more of the tech detail on the pack from that page.

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
Hello flecc, jac, as far as I understand the dimensions of the pack are 175 x 75 x 55 mm (1.2 kgrs), it comes with its BMS and charger, but it has a standard discharge rate of 8A and a max discharge rate (30 sec.) of 16A: isn't it too low for the panasonic unit?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Leonardo, I hadn't realised all the dimensions were so small, in that case it may just squeeze in, the 55mm dimension possibly causing a problem as it might make it difficult to close the case halves together.

That discharge rate from this very small pack is too low for the job though, the motor would be starved in hill climb conditions and there would be a risk of cutting out if the BMS did it's job properly.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi thanks for the information i will have to keep looking for new battery

jim