Giant Lafree spares or repair

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
My local bike charity have acquired a Giant Lafree that they want to sell as seen. Needs a battery but looks complete. Offers around £100. Let me know if interested and I'll put you in touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This the 1999 to 2001 Lafree series which uses an SLA battery, basically 2 x 12 volt batteries in a casing, and a rear hub motor.

If it's complete the charger is built into the bike, mains plugging directly in.

stephen Harvey

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2015
Can you still get a battery for this bike ?? Which part of the country is it in?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can you still get a battery for this bike ?? Which part of the country is it in?? Thanks
You definitely can't get a complete battery or casing from Giant, even the following model's battery has been discontinued.

The options are:

1) Find an old battery for it and replace the two SLA batteries inside. Most sizes of those are still available.

2) Fabricate a casing and contacts/connections and equip that with the two batteries.

3) Use a modern Lithium battery instead, ignoring the built in charger. That could either be with an altered case mounted as usual, or a standard battery mounted on the carrier and connections made.