Giant Road e+1 newbie....

Martin Shaw

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 22, 2017
Yorkshire
Hi...i bought an e+1 to use instead of the car when ever possible but finding the 15mph thing a bind.I bought the blackped+ dongle but got error messages after fitting so removed it.Does Anyone have experiences using the Speedbox 2 unit on a Giant Yamaha bike and is there a supplier in the UK.....

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Just fit a magnet on the end of the pedal and turn the speed sensor round, no more speed limit. The speedo will not work correctly but if that is a problem just fit a wired (not wireless, too much interference) cycle computer or use a smartphone with a gps speedo app. All a whole lot cheaper than a dongle.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
It works on Shimano Steps for 5 minutes then error14, ie "caught you tampering". To clear put things back to original and ride with err14 displayed.
Heard same for Bosch.

With newer Bosch and Shimano drives going for magnets on disc brake, tampering is going to become harder.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Will a neodymium magnet stick to the aluminium crank or pedal axle....?
I used a standard speedo magnet with a drop of araldite on the pedal axle. The araldite is probably not required but I do ride off road in the Alps so a little extra insurance. I also fitted a second neoprene chainstay protector to the non driven side of the bike which hides the sensor nicely.

D

Deleted member 4366

The pedal shaft is normally steel, so a magnet will stick to it.

Martin Shaw

Jul 22, 2017
Yorkshire
I used a standard speedo magnet with a drop of araldite on the pedal axle. The araldite is probably not required but I do ride off road in the Alps so a little extra insurance. I also fitted a second neoprene chainstay protector to the non driven side of the bike which hides the sensor nicely.
Neoprene chainstay sleeve!....great idea

Martin Shaw

Jul 22, 2017
Yorkshire
I'm wondering whether it will work...maybe Giant/Yamaha have updated the software to detect tampering on the 2017 model as opposed to the 2016 road-e....( Like the bosch drives)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Martin Shaw

Jul 22, 2017
Yorkshire
id be surprised if it did work tbh but you never know till you try so do it now n hurry up and test it ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj2JXQ8nVoyOQ98t8ZDUldg

msg him on there see if he can help you out with the dongle ;)
Going to have a bash tomorrow...going to Maplins for some magnets...tbh i'm going off the dongle idea.After the blackped+ dongle errored my bike i was glad it didn't leave the bike cabbaged

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there are 100s of error msgs so it is ok to try the dongles but as this bike is giants system gave the link to the guys you tube page that makes them.

a bad ass dongle will work like i have just might need a adaptor as goes over the sensor and can be removed in seconds and bike set back to normall.

https://www.badassebikes.com/en/badass-box/yamaha/typ3-4-yamaha/a-116/

you need bigger better brake rotors otherwise you will cook them n you dont want that.

Martin Shaw

Jul 22, 2017
Yorkshire
there are 100s of error msgs so it is ok to try the dongles but as this bike is giants system gave the link to the guys you tube page that makes them.

a bad ass dongle will work like i have just might need a adaptor as goes over the sensor and can be removed in seconds and bike set back to normall.

https://www.badassebikes.com/en/badass-box/yamaha/typ3-4-yamaha/a-116/

you need bigger better brake rotors otherwise you will cook them n you dont want that.
Interesting... I think i'll look at that if this fails.Won' t be going mad on speed anyway brakes-wise.I just want to be able to ride at 20-25 on the road.No drama

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ur bike is only 1.8kg lighter than my fs mtb mind and dont take much to make them in to rings of fire just when that happens is you cook the pads and warp the rotors.
DSC_0290.JPG
you want some 2 part rotors to help remove the heat i have 203mm front and back like a dh bike.

Martin Shaw

Jul 22, 2017
Yorkshire
On closer inspection the speed sensor screw is a small torx but with a tamperproof peg in the middle so will not take a standard torx driver or tool... Is this tool available...?