Giant Twist Charger / battery advice please

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hello everyone :D

Can anyone advise on something odd that is happening with my Twists Charhe Battery?

Its unilaterally decided that it will not do the refresh cycle. Press the green button and ... nothing. It is however still working perfectly fine at charging the battery (thus far).

Does anyone have any experiences similar to this?

Thanks everyone

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't known this happen on one of these chargers John, but it is a charger fault, the battery can't cause that.

It isn't critical if you can't use the refresh. Most bike manufacturers chargers for NiMh batteries don't have a refresh function, and just running the battery fairly low just once in a while is sufficient. Discharging is a purist technical thing for optimum life, but there isn't much evidence around of it making much difference. Worthwhile if it's available, but not something to cause alarm if it isn't.

Meanwhile it's good practice to always leave the charger unplugged whenever it's not in use to ensure the electronics reset after every use. It's even possible for faults like this to self correct after a while.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Thanks for the (as usual) excellent advise Flecc, its good to see your posts. I wasnt sure if this was the start of the dreaded failure or not :( I always unplug the charger when it gets to the flashing stage.

Do you believe it is still possible to buy chargers for this version (say to have a spare), or would I realistically be looking at a surrogate of some sort in your opinion when (or if) this one fails?

Thanks v much

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Definitely not the Giant supplied one again John, their record with these chargers has been one of poor reliability for years, and the cost is £120 to £140, depending on the cycle dealer supplying it.

The Shenzen-Powerstream one I recommend is now used by many owners without a single recorded failure, it has a refresh function and is fan cooled. Price from the USA varies with the exchange rate, but using USPS standard or express rate instead of the premium rate first shown at checkout results in about one third of Giant's price. Customs are entitled to send a further small bill later for import duty and VAT, but I've never known them bother at this price level on these chargers. It's only with larger costs such as battery packs and chargers together that they bother. On my Lafree website:

Powerstream Charger for the Lafree details

wilyflier

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2010
torquay
I have a good 12 volt NiMH and panasonic charger from a 2003 Lafree ( which got nicked)
I ma looking at 2 (2006) lafrees on the net right now which claim to have 24 volt NiMH batteries.
when did they change from 12 to 24 volts?
can the 12 volt charger be modified to do a 24 volt battery?
Confusedflier

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The whole Lafree Twist series from the first in 2001 to 2006 were always 24 volt NiMh, I've never heard of a 12 volt system on these. A 12 volt charger isn't suitable and can't be modified for 24 volts.

The original heavy Lafree used SLA batteries but was still 24 volt.

The history is on my Lafree website where you'll see the same 24 volt battery on all versions.

P.S. Is yours a folding bike Wilyflier?

Last edited:

wilyflier

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2010
torquay
See how I missed the point

No, it was a Giant Lafree
bought Christ
mas 2003
but now I see,
on the battery
after further scrutiny
the final Twist
6500 mAh 20pcs 1.2v

Wallyflier

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that's the standard battery. Late in the Lafree's selling life a 9 Ah battery was introduced and current replacements are that capacity as well.

Your bike was from the same era as the one I had, mine bought August 2003.