Giant Twist Express - first impressions

Taz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2014
I have just taken delivery of a a 'new -old stock' 2010 Twist Express. In terms of appearance and build quality I think it looks absolutely superb. However, I'm fast approaching my 65th birthday and have one replacement knee and severe arthritis in the other - hence the need for some assistance.

I took bike for its maiden run yesterday and did about 5-6 miles of mixed gradient stuff. I managed to get up inclines that I previously had to push my pedal cycle up but it was still pretty hard going. I'm concerned that the bike isn't giving as much assistance as it should! I deliberately chose a pedal assist as opposed to a throttle control as I want to get some exercise, so putting in some effort is not an issue - I just need some reassurance that bike is operating correctly. Bottom line - is there any way I can test whether motor is delivering output as specified?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Someone adopting an e-bike for the first time often finds the power disappointing Taz, this is a common complaint. The 250 watts rating is a nominal one, they do vary considerably in their actual power, and your Twist Express is recognised to be a moderate power model, in the middle of what is available.

The motor is unlikely to be at fault, they tend to either be working properly or scarcely working at all if there's a fault. However, at four years old when you bought it, there can be a question about the state of the lithium battery since these can decline with age. If you have a meter, can you check the voltage at it's output connections when you've fully charged it and report that here.

Another check you can carry out is to ride it with a fully charged battery until the battery is just about empty and let us know how many miles you get. That does not have to be in one trip, it can be over several days.

Taz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks Flecc. The original battery was indeed faulty but I am advised by the dealer that a new one has been fitted. However I will run a check on voltage and longevity as you suggest 'just in case'.