Gocycle Black (1st generation, NiMh battery)

miker71

Finding my (electric) wheels
Bear in mind that the Gocycle is my only frame of reference for an electric bike. My purchase was based on research based on my own personal requirements (primarily to commute about town and light off-roading). Lightness was a big factor for me (so that I still have a bike in the event I no longer want/need an ebike), as was having a throttle.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Visually appealing (to me at least), comfortable, light. I would refrain from classifying this bike as foldable, and describe it more as stowable. I certainly won't be stowing it very often, but if I need to then it does compact down quite well.

My first time using the throttle, put a big grin on my face, I suspect all ebikes will have this effect! There is no denying the Gocycle makes an audible whirring, which personally I find quite satisfying.

It took me a few days to adjust the Gocycle to fit me more comfortably. I'm quite short. In doing this I did manage to shear a screwhead from the locking screw on the head nut. At least it sheared in the locked and adjusted position, but, really, it does make me wonder about the overall durability (I was using the supplied Gocycle torque driver).

The magnesium alloy is cast in white - I know this because the black is easy to scratch and it's white underneath. Such blemishes do not really concern me, I always wanted the Millenium Falcon when I was kid anyway. If you don't want a bike that looks "used" avoid the black Gocycle!

I got two punctures in two days. I changed the slicks for some kevlar based tyres. The new tyres add a few grammes of weight and additional all-weather tread but I have not noticed any perceptible drag.

The Gocycle is quite well geared, with 3 gears. It could maybe do with an additional downhill gear because it very quickly gets impossible to add any meaningful leg power downhill.

The Gocycle has a 34mm seat post so more standard 31mm seatpost mounted panniers won't fit. The Gocycle luggage arm seems to be a discontinued accessory.

If you don't like conversations, avoid the Gocycle. Several people have made remarks about the Gocycle and struck up a conversation with me. Even hardcore cyclists who wouldn't be seen dead on an ebike are able to say good words about the design of the Gocycle. Seems to draw the BMX crowd too, I guess that's the 20" mag wheels.

Although it seems I have listed a bunch of mostly negative observations, the Gocycle remains my day-to-day bike and hopefully will see me through many thousands of miles. I've experienced very similar durability issues on other pushbikes I have owned so I am not particularly put out by my current sense of how durable the Gocycle may or may not be - but have also marked it down based on how easy the black is to scratch.

This is my first step onto a path that I expect to lead me to a full road EV (thus the requirements for throttle rather than only pedal-assist, etc). However, what I love about ebikes is the zero admin - no registration, no insurance, no tax etc.