Goes E-bike Cross Country

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Is there any review on the Goes E-bike Cross Country?

http://www.scooterlife.es/goes-e-bike-cross-country/

I had seen before this frame (Montague type, with the batteries inside the frame). Even there is a shop in Barcelona selling e-bikes using that frame, but let me put it softly, I do not have great references from them.

In theory, this bike looks attractive: full suspension, but foldable.

What surprises me the most is the fold:

I had looked at Montague bikes fold before, and the fold was cumbersome. In particular, in the videos always the front wheel had to get out of the bike, which was a big no-no.

But here, the fold seems quite compact, and the wheels remain in place. Probably the fold is quite wide, but that would be a minor problem for me.

It even seems as if the bike could roll when folded, which would be a big plus.

I am also surprised I can only find references to this bike in Spanish webpages, I cannot find news in English, which is surprising.

D

Deleted member 4366

The show in Shanghai was full of bikes like that. There was nearly one on every stand - different derivatives of the same concept.

Reactions: Arbol

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Did you have the opportunity to test one? Or at least, have you had a thought about "real world" experience of this kind of bikes? In particular, I am interested to know if the "metal battery box" fits 18650 cells, or another kind of Li-ion cells. The reason is if 18650 cells fit, probably that means the 36V 8.8Ah battery is composed of 40 2.2Ah cells. So, in theory one could fit 40 2.9Ah cells, too (or even higher capacity).

Personally (and granted, I am an ignorant in this subject) I find the concept an appealing one:

- Battery and controller are hidden
- Big wheels
- Foldable (easily)
- Full suspension

If the theoretical concept works in practice, this is a kind of bike I would like to own. Maybe even as the main one.

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you have the opportunity to test one? Or at least, have you had a thought about "real world" experience of this kind of bikes? In particular, I am interested to know if the "metal battery box" fits 18650 cells, or another kind of Li-ion cells. The reason is if 18650 cells fit, probably that means the 36V 8.8Ah battery is composed of 40 2.2Ah cells. So, in theory one could fit 40 2.9Ah cells, too (or even higher capacity).

Personally (and granted, I am an ignorant in this subject) I find the concept an appealing one:

- Battery and controller are hidden
- Big wheels
- Foldable (easily)
- Full suspension

If the theoretical concept works in practice, this is a kind of bike I would like to own. Maybe even as the main one.
I didn't try one, but I can't see why it shouldn't be OK. Saneagle has a different type of folding 26" wheel bike that's taken every type of abuse for four years.

The battery will be a standard one. It's probably 10S4P 18650 cells. You can find these bikes in a whole range of specs from cheapo to exotic with different motors on Alibaba and Aliexpress.

This one has a 500w Xofo (CST?) motor.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/wholesale-26inch-folding-lithium-electric-bicycle-26-2-10-MTB-bicycle-with-green-power-drived-500W/1137369367.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/hot-sale-free-shipping-350W-26inch-folding-electric-mountain-bicycle-with-EN15194/843731577.html

This one shows the battery. I'm now thinking that it might be 10S3P 2900mah 18650 due to the weight.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/26-inch-folding-electric-bicycle-The-21-24-27-transmission-LCD-LCD-Mountain-bike-free-shipping/1499407772.html

This one has the Xofo motor in cast wheels:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-36V10Ah-350W-26-inches-High-grade-aluminum-alloy-integrated-wheels-folding-electric-mountain-bike/1862615791.html

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
my only question is..... why?

I don't think there are many brands that even make folding mountain bikes, let alone folding full suspension mountain bikes. So making folding electric full suspension mountain bikes, seems to make this seem very very very niche.

or are all the major brands missing a market?
My question is: why not?

I mean, I like a bike which is a MTB. I like the possibility that it folds. I like that it hides the battery. I like it is an e-bike.

What is the advantage of a MTB that it does NOT fold, and it does NOT hide the battery?

The only problem is if the combination does not work well in practice. Or if it is too expensive.

But if it works, it would be a good solution for many people.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Col, don't take this too seriously, but it seems to me that when you don't do something, you can't seem to appreciate the good point in it.
I think arbol made a very good point. This bike may not fit the KTM image but it's practical, it'll fit in the boot of a lot of cars, not all, but a majority. It's more comfortable to ride than the usual 20" folders, it can take a proper removeable battery, it's stealthy enough to fool a few lycras and perhaps this is why you don't like it: it's cheap.

no its nothing to do with KTM not doing it. We don't do a tandem, or a CycloCross bike, or anything steel, or even a 26" wheel mountain bike. All of which I can totally see the point of.

*Full suspension mountain bikes are great.
*eBikes are great
*and I can see that some want a hidden battery
*folding bikes have a purpose, and there is a big market

What I'm trying to understand is why anyone would want all of those things in one bike.

I don't think any brand even makes a folding mountain bike. They are two big markets, but that doesn't mean there is a need to combine them.

as an example... i need van for transporting my bikes, by my mrs also has a soft top sports car, which is fun to drive. It doesn't mean there is a market for soft top vans.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
folding e-bikes sell very well into the caravanning market (batribike do a roaring trade), foldable 26" can also be admitted into the underground and somewhat easier to carry up stairs than stubby 20". They are definitely a better choice for a 6-footer wanting a foldable e-bike.

all good points... that I'm in total agreement with.

folding bikes sell well in a massive number of markets, I'm not saying anything against folding bikes. I wish we made one!

I'm just trying to find out if there is anyone anywhere in the UK who would want a bike that has four seperate niche's all in one package. Next we'll find out they only do it in one size, and thats XXS.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's a big demand for them otherwise nearly all the manufacturers wouldn't have had one on their stands at Shanghai. Montague have been selling them successfully for a long time. I believe that they had some large military contracts. I had quite a few questions from all sorts of people about how to electrify one, but the problem was always where to fit the battery. Now that there's batteries that fit inside the frame, the problem is solved, so you can expect to see more of them. The fold mechanism doesn't in any way detract from the bike's ability to perform as an MTB, so there's no reason not to have it.

http://www.montaguebikes.com/swissbike-x90-mountain-folding-bicycles.html

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
I cannot talk for the "market", I talk for myself:

I see the appeal of a folding bike. Usually, the problem is not that people need the size of a folded Brompton, but just put the fu**ing bike inside an elevator. 26'' and 28'' bikes have hard times to do that. Also, in an apartment, it is relatively easy to find a spot 1m long to fit a folded bike. But finding a spot for a 26'' bike is harder (granted, if you have a house, this is irrelevant).

So, I want a folding bike.

And 26'' is great, I also can use the bike for the weekends.

I love it has full suspension. More comfortable.

Many people think a full suspension will absorb too much energy out of the biker ... but here we have an e-bike.

And I love the idea the battery and controller are inside the frame. If I park the bike in the middle of the city, even with D-locks, I know it is difficult somebody will vandalize the battery (which happens often if the battery is visible on top of a rack).

So, this bike has all the ingredients for the mix.

What happens (maybe) is that so far, without the e-bike concept, this idea was not appealing because too much energy was absorbed by the shocks, and the possibility of hiding "something" inside the frame was irrelevant.

So, I find (naively, without having tested it) this concept fits very well into an all-usage-mostly-urban-but-sometimes-MTB, which most people like (at least, myself).

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
For example, cwah is "desperate" looking for a foldable with full suspension. He has experience with big motors in urban usage. I guess that means something.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
as an example... i need van for transporting my bikes, by my mrs also has a soft top sports car, which is fun to drive. It doesn't mean there is a market for soft top vans.
Perhaps you or your mrs would like to transport an MTB in the back of her soft top sports car..?

Actually a folding MTB quite appeals to me as well. I have a variety of ebikes but one of my most used is my 20” folder simply because it will fit easily in the back of my car (I don't own a van and don't like racks) and it's exemption from the normal bicycle restrictions on trains - I often drive to near a rail station then take it on the train.

Although I don't do anything serious off road I find even forest trails and towpaths can be quite tiring and uncomfortable with the small wheels, so a decent suspended larger wheeled folder would be quite attractive.

I looked at the Montague but dismissed it due to its tricky fold and difficulty in battery mounting. Dahon do/did some 26” folders, but none that I know of with suspension.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
My other half has a folding full suspension MTB and although a bit heavy, it's very practical and it fits in the boot of a small hatchback . I'm considering fitting a BBS01 to it...

thanks for the help...

I'm still not sure I get it.

If we were going to take the bikes in her car, we'd put a £35.00 rack on the back of the car from Halfords and not compromise the handling, performance and weight of the bike by putting a big join in the middle of it.

eBikes are heavy enough without adding this... but if these brands think there is a market, thats great, and I hope they do well.