Good evening from the Yorkshire Dales

Andy C

Just Joined
Hi All - My name is Andy and I'm new to this site, as I said in the title I live in the Yorkshire Dales with my wife and at the moment we are both looking for electric bikes, having seen them initially on Countyfile a few months ago but more recently around town. The intention is for riding them locally, instead of taking the car but also to put them on or in the car (a Land Rover Freelander) and to explore bridleways in the Dales and The Lake District. At the moment we are thinking of a folding bike that can be used off road. Any ideas?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum.

As will probably be aware, the choice is wide and varied.

A bit more information from you would help to narrow down the choice and enable members to point you in the right direction.

Most folding bikes have 16" or 20" wheels, not ideal for riding off road.

An alternative could be a non - powered bike, Dahon Cadenza/Matrix or similar with 26" wheels and a good quality conversion kit.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Regards,

Cardy01

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 23, 2012
Welcome Andy,

As John says budget is probably key factor.

I'm completely unbiased & I'm pretty new to the scene myself having only had my bike 2 weeks and its been fantastic in assisting my 19mile round trip to work each day.

I pondered for a couple of months, but heres a few key things to factor in:

* weight .. they weigh a lot more so lifting on top of a car or on the back of a freelander will be more tricky - if you want more distance then this probably comes with a heavier battery

* size - some model do tend to be bigger all round. Heavier frames, racks, midguards, stands, lights liike mine

* definitely look to try as many as is possible within your budget. Also ensure you try them with no power - since a dead battery will mean you'll be working even harder than normal

Good Luck

Cardy, Harpenden - Whisper 905