Got an almost fine Powabyke MKII I want to customise. Wondering what's possible?

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
So here's what I've got. A MK2 in really nice condition, new-ish batteries.

I took it for its 3rd ride after buying on Ebay. Went into full throttle mode when I turned the ignition and does it every time since. Found this to have happened when I opened it up. The red and blue wires that lead to the main power are fused together. The seller seems very sorry about and to send it all the way back to him isn't worth the price of a courier. GEDC0427.JPG GEDC0428.JPG

I've read a bit about this and gather it's the main circuit so I got a replacement for a tenner. I've read that you need to replace the throttle at the same time or you might destroy the new circuit due to reversed polarities (already getting dangerously out of my comfort zone for tech knowledge).

So I'm cautious about fitting thew new circuit just yet.
...Also, I don't care about pedal assist mode, having a key ignition, original LEDs, or using the original controller. I've got a nice shiny Salisbury with a new battery for practicality. I want to see how wacky I can make this already unique looking machine!
If I got a standard 36v 250w controller and replaced the throttle, how easy might it be to add a motorcycle front light and horn? Also, as long as everything's the same output etc, is there much stopping me from replacing the LSA batteries with lithium-ion. Forgive my naivety but from my limited study this week, it looks like the main ingredients I need are power, a motor, something to turn it on, and something to make it go. Could I keep it that simple and add gimmicks as I go?

Also, I plan to make it look like something UNIT wou;d have used in classic Dr Who! haha. Nato green with this kind of styling:

Sorry for all the questions even though I've just joined, and thanks for any help!

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I'm wondering if you un-short the two wires,and put them back where they go it might run properly.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Not sure is the motor brushed (2 wires ) or brush less ( more than 2).just get a new controller to match.

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
Not sure is the motor brushed (2 wires ) or brush less ( more than 2).just get a new controller to match.
Hiya.
It's brushed I believe. I did get an identical controller to the last but I've read that the full throttle problem in Powabykes is due to reversed polarities in the electronics, and that you'd have to get a new Powabyke throttle (not cheap) to match the Powabyke controller, in case the throttle's doing the damage and you kill a good controller. It's a pickle no doubt.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I was looking at powabykes a bit back.Can't understand why the bits are dear.I bought a 2nd hand solar trekker motor at first,very similar to the powabyke motor.I just bought the cheapest brushed controller and throttle off eBay.

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
I was looking at powabykes a bit back.Can't understand why the bits are dear.I bought a 2nd hand solar trekker motor at first,very similar to the powabyke motor.I just bought the cheapest brushed controller and throttle off eBay.
I honestly wouldn't mind hooking up a non-branded controller to it if it meant getting it working. I've got a throttle for it with a battery gauge on it I was thinking of replacing it with if the official one doesn't work. The controller I did get is £60 new! Lucky I got a deal on it!

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I would go with the unbranded controller and the throttle you have.But I suppose the connectors on the powabyke motor will be different.But you could swop them.You might be able to use the throttle you have with the powabyke controller if you changed the connectors.No problem with using lithium instead of SLA.I think you need a thing called a buck converter for your lights.

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
I would go with the unbranded controller and the throttle you have.But I suppose the connectors on the powabyke motor will be different.But you could swop them.You might be able to use the throttle you have with the powabyke controller if you changed the connectors.No problem with using lithium instead of SLA.I think you need a thing called a buck converter for your lights.
That all sounds pretty promising. Thanks! Got myself one of those crimping sets for getting all the wire endings compatible. Would I need a converter if the light itself was a 36V one, like the battery?

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
No converter needed for 36v lights.I have one of those that was on a bike I was given.It is 5 LED's on a board with some resisters.Its. nowhere near as bright as my carbide lamp with 1 18650 battery out of an old laptop battery pack,powering 20 LED's (£1 shop fairy lights).

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
No converter needed for 36v lights.I have one of those that was on a bike I was given.It is 5 LED's on a board with some resisters.Its. nowhere near as bright as my carbide lamp with 1 18650 battery out of an old laptop battery pack,powering 20 LED's (£1 shop fairy lights).
I'm a complete newbie to electronics but the attainability of all this is very exciting. I really like the sound of how you did that!

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I'am no expert on electrickery but just remember red to black and blown to bits.