Got my hands on an Oxygen for a couple of weeks

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Part One
Oxygen E Mate City Bike

The courier knocked and pushed a large cardboard box into the hallway ! It had arrived, my Oxygen test bike.

Having a rebadged version of the original Oxygen bike I was very interested in the newer upgraded version that, although maintaining the original look in general, had been tweaked by the new owner of the Oxygen name who is out of interest a cycle designer who has changed the frame with regards frame sections and angles. So we struck up a conversation one day on the telephone and after I admitted that I was very fussy and difficult to please he offered to send me a bike just to get my views on how the new bike shaped up against my wifes and my other seven E bikes. I have also ridden a number of other e bikes and was, when younger, an avid road time trial cyclist so have a bit of knowledge on performance and handling as far as cycles go.

Ok ! First impressions straight out of the box. Quality is the word that springs to mind which, to be quite honest, is what I would have expected from a range of bikes that start at around £1200 and go up to £1450, and I wasn`t disappointed on that score. What was very apparent lifting the bike from the box was the weight (or lack of it). On my electronic scales the bike weighs in at 20.5Kgs without the battery and 24Kgs with the battery in place, but for some reason it feels a lot lighter once assembled. The battery is the latest Li- Polymer of 36V 13Amp and is very light as you can see by the weight figures. Whilst the battery was charging I assembled the front wheel and handlebars and ran a spanner around the various nuts and bolts just to check for safety.

I always run a bike when new or after service suspended from my bike workshop roof to test the running gear and found the free running of the wheels to be very good indeed considering the rear wheel has a Bafang hub built in. Gear changing was positive, quiet and smooth and the motor fired up first time with a quiet hum.

So now, after adjusting the saddle height, I set off on my first ride with the new bike. Just now and then something a little bit special pops up into your life and this bike is it. Hard to determine just what separates this bike from my others ( that I love btw), but I think it`s the sheer positive steering and build quality that sets it apart from the run of the mill. Push bikes are like motorcycles and cars in as much as when the manufacturers get it right then it all falls in line, and so it is with the Oxygen E bike.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
PartTwo

Part Two
The power delivery from the pedal assist is just about right in my opinion, (not too powerful that it forces you along faster than you want to go, but powerful enough that your legs don`t ache). Need a bit more power to climb a hill or pull away from a junction ? then just switch over to twist throttle and that bit of extra power fills the gap. For sure none of my other bikes free wheel as nice as this bike does, there just seems to be zero drag from the rear hub and pushing the bike along by hand without looking down you would be hard pressed to tell it from a good quality non electric bike.

The nearest bike I own to the Oxygen is my Evans MTB that I converted to an E bike six months ago and I just love it but for sure it does not have the finesse of the Oxygen.

As far as range goes, well I hesitate to run any E bike down to nothing for fear of being stranded out in the sticks where I live but judging by the mileage I was getting without recharging I would say that 50-60 miles should well be within the bikes capability when used on pedelec, and remember the battery has not had the suggested three low discharges yet.. What amazed me about this bike in particular was the ability to be able to ride it as an out and out sports type bike and really push it along at a decent pace or poodle around the country lanes taking in the scenery during this fine spell of late June weather.

A note on the brakes: Rear V brake and Front Disk. I`m a bit touchy on brakes, they either throw you over the handle bars or you need to put a foot out to stop yourself but what I like about the choice on the E mate is just how progressive they are with plenty of stopping power should you need it but silky smooth gradual normal braking, I like them.

I fitted my now standard bar ends and Ahead riser to get the riding position to where I like it, and Andrew of Oxygen kindly posted me an adjustable stem that I fitted before riding the bike once again this morning, and things really fell into line. I would say for younger fitter riders the standard set up will be fine, it`s just that I`m getting on a touch now and like the armchair feeling in what ever I`m doing, and surprisingly the bike seems to be adjustable for most tastes.

The bike will be going onto pastures green soon and I can only hope that the new user gets as much enjoyment out of her as I have done.

Thank you Andrew for allowing me the opportunity to try out your new machine and also well done for introducing another quality make of E bike into the market to give us all a bigger choice.

I have no connection what so ever to Oxygen bikes and gain nothing financially from this article, just wanting to spread the word to fellow users of a decent product.

(Some people might like to read this report white on black on my website here Oxygen-emate-city-white photo - david chilvers photos at pbase.com )

Dave

Last edited:

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks Dave...I shall be following this thread with interest.
.....Mike

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
Hi

Just a short note from another very happy Oxygen e-mate rider.

In my case I randomly decided to check out electric bikes but found that most of them are commuter bikes. I wanted a bike for every day use around Sheffield with its big hills, holey roads and the trails of the Peak District just down the road.

The e-mate looks great, is very well built, reasonably light and well-specified with good components and good battery technology. In comparison with other bikes at the same price point, the e-mate seemed so much better, so much closer to what I wanted, that I placed an order.

It's an absolute joy to ride. It's really well balanced and the front suspension and smooth braking make a very comfy ride. I've bounced it up and down steps with less effort than it takes my mountain bike.

I got approaching 4 hours of heavy use out of the first battery charge.

My only criticism is that the mudguards seem like a bit of an afterthought on an otherwise very well thought-out bike. They don't really match the style of the rest of it and I broke the front one by accidentally kicking it into the wheel so it buckled up (but fixed it in 5 minutes easily enough).

Since getting the bike, my car hasn't left the garage, so it's paying for itself in saved petrol, increased fitness and general joy of life already!

Gary

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I am sure in an earlier thread Andrew (of Oxygen) said the bike weight was under 20kg including battery:confused:

found it:

"yes Eddie the weight of the Race model is below 20kg including the battery 13Ah battery"

Last edited:

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
I am sure in an earlier thread Andrew (of Oxygen) said the bike weight was under 20kg including battery:confused:
All models have the same frame. The race model has no mudguards, no rear rack and has a very lightweight saddle - perhaps that explains the weight loss?

Gary

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com

found it:

"yes Eddie the weight of the Race model is below 20kg including the battery 13Ah battery"
Hi Eddie,

Yes it does close the scale below 20kg but please note that this applies only to RACE model. With Emate RC we are loosing mudguards and the rack, replaced the saddle and the seatpost and lastly the tyres are Schwalbe Racing Ralphs made with Kevlar and Nano compound. It does save quite a lot of weight if we add all these together

regards

Andrew

gonyosoma

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2010
Nice review...can I ask how tall you are...I tried the Oxygen, but found it (along with pretty much all the other e bikes!) a little small for me!

And was it easy to replace the handlebars? (for a kak handed amateur like me!)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Nice review...can I ask how tall you are...I tried the Oxygen, but found it (along with pretty much all the other e bikes!) a little small for me!

And was it easy to replace the handlebars? (for a kak handed amateur like me!)
I`m about 5`11" and I find all bikes very low at the front if I put my saddle at the correct height. I turned the bars a touch to get them facing more up, I fitted an A-head extension( easy to fit, you just remove the centre allen bolt(the one that goes down the fork tube) undo the allen bolts that hold the stem (the bit that goes forward to the bars) put the A head extension on and then put the stem back on and fit the new supplied longer allen bolt. That gives you a rise of about 4". Then fit a adjustable stem and that will give you another 3-4". I then fit bar ends that I hold when cruising and then just drop forward for the brakes. Just let me know if you want me to aim you at links for the bits required. Everything I`ve just mentioned is well within the doing by anyone that can use an allen key. Andrew of Oxygen got hold of some cracking adjustable stems and I reckon you can talk him into one:D

I just dismantled the Oxtgen I had on loan ready to go back to Oxygen in the morning and to be honest it was sad to see it go. Lifting the bike into the box was easy as it is fairly light. I`m still amazed at the battery mileage when I compare it to my Li-ion batteries (that are pretty good anyway)

Once you get those bars up it transforms the bike, honest. Having said that a friend of mine sat on the Oxygen and wanted the bars lower but he is a lot fitter than I am.

Phil_P

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2010
It`s a pity oxygen don`t do a good quaility folder :(

I would be tempted to give it a go for sure if it was of a similar quality to the rest of thier range.

Seems there is a market for this kind of bike if the number of posts asking questions about folders is anything to go by.

The Wisper 805/806 (or whatever it is called now) has been so popular that its been widely unavailable for many weeks. - Even Wisper`s website still don`t have it listed :rolleyes:

Anyone know if oxygen has any plans in this regard ?

Regards
Phil

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
It`s a pity oxygen don`t do a good quaility folder :(

I would be tempted to give it a go for sure if it was of a similar quality to the rest of thier range.

Seems there is a market for this kind of bike if the number of posts asking questions about folders is anything to go by.

The Wisper 805/806 (or whatever it is called now) has been so popular that its been widely unavailable for many weeks. - Even Wisper`s website still don`t have it listed :rolleyes:

Anyone know if oxygen has any plans in this regard ?

Regards
Phil
Phil

Andrew is going to be introducing other models but not straight away, give him a call, his number is on his web site. He may well have them coming sooner than I think.

Dave

Phil_P

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2010
Thanks Dave and Atmosphere for your replies

Got several irons in the fire - maybe sometime soon i will make a decision around what my next e-bike will be :D

Regards
Phil

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Well done

Andrew and I had a very productive meeting in London earlier this week when he showed me his new frame design and new colours which will apply to all future Oxygen bikes. Based on this we have both buried the hatchet and we at Wisper wish Andrew and Oxygen all the very best in the future. It's great to meet another electric bike producer as passionate as us!

All the best

David :)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Andrew and I had a very productive meeting in London earlier this week when he showed me his new frame design and new colours which will apply to all future Oxygen bikes. Based on this we have both buried the hatchet and we at Wisper wish Andrew and Oxygen all the very best in the future. It's great to meet another electric bike producer as passionate as us!

All the best

Well done David. Now all you need to do is send me a Wisper for a couple of weeks so that I can compare:D :D :D
I should be so lucky!

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com

All the best

Yes, it was certainly a very good meeting and many thanks David for coming down to London. Hopefuly next time we can catch up and have few pints and as usual talk about our favourite - electric bikes. :)