Grateful for some advice please

Sinead333

Just Joined
Jul 6, 2017
Dublin
Dear All

I would be very grateful for some advice on what e-bike to purchase. I have been researching for over a fortnight and am no closer to a decision. There is a huge amount of information on the internet. A little information about me:

- My commute is 10km each way
- I am 30+ and quite slight
- I have a hill on my way home
- I would like something quite powerful and easy to use
- My budget is about €1500/£1200

I have it narrowed down to 3 options and would be very grateful for any advice.

1. Giant Ease E+ - very easy to use and comfortable. have read some reviews that it is not the best on hills.

2. Lectro Avanti

3. Overvolt Urban 100

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Sinéad

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Dear All

I would be very grateful for some advice on what e-bike to purchase. I have been researching for over a fortnight and am no closer to a decision. There is a huge amount of information on the internet. A little information about me:

1. Giant Ease E+ - very easy to use and comfortable. have read some reviews that it is not the best on hills.

2. Lectro Avanti

3. Overvolt Urban 100

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Sinéad

Dublin area .. no serious hills unless you live in howth , Killiney or Glencree. Any ebike will work ok.
Your budget might just get you a Raliegh captus if you can get to Lisburn near Belfast.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
By 'slight' you may mean relatively weak, hence your request for power.

However, slight also means light, which will stand you in very good stead on any ebike.

In other words, even one that isn't that powerful will fly along with you on it.

Another point to bear in mind is there isn't a great deal of difference in power between legal ebikes.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Hello Sinead, with the favourable Euro - Sterling rate at the moment you could try Halfords in Newry, or there`s also ChainReaction, Boucher Road Belfast and Decathlon, Belfast.
As Dan mentions John Hanna in Lisburn has a decent selection.

Check out their web-sites

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hello Sinead, with the favourable Euro - Sterling rate at the moment you could try Halfords in Newry, or there`s also ChainReaction, Boucher Road Belfast and Decathlon, Belfast.
As Dan mentions John Hanna in Lisburn has a decent selection.

Check out their web-sites
... We agree on something else then. John Hanna runs a very good shop.

Sinead333

Just Joined
Jul 6, 2017
Dublin
... We agree on something else then. John Hanna runs a very good shop.
Dear All

Thank you so much for your very helpful feedback. I'm going to use the Irish cycle to work tax back scheme to buy the bike so not too sure if I can buy in the North but am going to investigate.

Think ill go with the Giant one as reliable manufacturer and quite good reviews.

I will report back. Excited to get going on my first e bike.

Thanks again

Sinéad

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Dear All

Thank you so much for your very helpful feedback. I'm going to use the Irish cycle to work tax back scheme to buy the bike so not too sure if I can buy in the North but am going to investigate.

Think ill go with the Giant one as reliable manufacturer and quite good reviews.

I will report back. Excited to get going on my first e bike.

Thanks again

Sinéad
I would expect that the cycle to work scheme will only work with shops paying Vat to Irish revenue.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Dear All

2. Lectro Avanti

3. Overvolt Urban 100

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Sinéad
.. on paper the overvoltage urban looks the better bike, but both lapierre and giant are reputable brands .

D

Deleted member 4366

The more you research, the harder it gets.

It's a bit like asking what you should buy for your lunch today. What's best out of a salmon salad sandwhich, a pair of chicken and bacon wraps or a MacDonalds Big Tasty. There's endless choices and everybody has their own preferences.

They all work. Choose whichever one you find gives a comfortable ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The more you research, the harder it gets.

It's a bit like asking what you should buy for your lunch today. What's best out of a salmon salad sandwhich, a pair of chicken and bacon wraps or a MacDonalds Big Tasty. There's endless choices and everybody has their own preferences.

They all work. Choose whichever one you find gives a comfortable ride.
I think looking at Sineads choices , and since they are all urban commuting bikes , with the same geometries, the choices are more Big Mac, Burgerking or Eddie Rocket.
The choices of bikes here in Ireland would not be as extensive as in the UK. And Sinead seems to have picked a set of winners.