Great online route planner

Capn_Phil68

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2008
Google maps, but for walkers. Also great for us cyclists as it allows for shortcuts that a walker could take e.g. park, canal footpath etc, but not available to a car/motorbike. Also includes mile calc and calorie :rolleyes: hmm burn guessmeter.

Gmaps Pedometer.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
would be very useful for me, and fun too, but i cant get it to work...any dummy instructions please.

Capn_Phil68

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2008
Hi Guys,

Instructions are
Move to your start point and clear all other points (there's an option on the lower left hand) and then double click on your chosen start point and then just double click along your chosen route at each turn, road bend etc.

prob best to register as a user as you can then revisit saved maps/ routes.

Have fun

Capn

ps checkout the elevation chart as a means of going around hills etc as this should be a great battery saver.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
if i put a postcode in it says "couldnt find that location" but if i put a town in it finds it...cant i be more precise and put postcode ???

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
its based on Google Earth which covers the whole world. As only the UK uses postcodes in our format the designers did't see fit to include them. They did include US zip codes, but that's 'cos the designers are american.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
yes figured to do with google earth as the paddling pool in my garden was there 3 years ago..lol....would prefer if it followed the roads to and not direct to where you double click, but then its meant for walkers i guess...sure it will have some use's though.

faphillips

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
London SE
This is brilliant once you figure out how to use it and you can plan a very detailed route using roads, footpaths, fields - whatever you want.

In the Jump To box type in the name of your Town - you may have to type in Town, County, Country. Click on start recording and then double click at the point you want to start and then double click at every point you change direction - you can then go round bends. You can also ride on the pavement, the wrong way down one way streets etc etc.

There is a slight oddity in that if you try and use the down arrow to move the map down it often takes you straight back to a map of the USA.

Capn_Phil68

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2008
Hi Keith,

Google maps (just direct your browser to Google and its an option available) does the road option and is good as it gets with an option to avoid highways (think that translates to motorways and dual carriage ways. I think).

The reason I posted this addition to the cyclist navigational arsenal is as another means of gaining the edge on a journey over other, popular, forms of powered travel. I am using it as a means of planning crossings over Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds via roads, footpaths, parks, side roads, canal path, field etc.

Capn_phil68

johnl

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Another Route Tool

I posted a note to the bent rider board about wishing for a search function in Gmap so that I could enter a place name and find cycling paths. There is such a site, Bike Trails, Paths & Routes From Over 40 Countries at Bikely.com, and users have put in bike routes for places in England. Actually there are 4709 routes found when I searched for routes in the UK, England.

This is the sort of thing for which I've been looking. It will give me the means to plan a route or find an already planned route when I'm going to travel to a distant place.

domeld

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 11, 2008
its based on Google Earth which covers the whole world. As only the UK uses postcodes in our format the designers did't see fit to include them. They did include US zip codes, but that's 'cos the designers are american.

domeld

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Thanks for that info domeld, I have actually found out from experience that postcodes do work. In Google Maps UK postcodes dont even need the uk suffix.