Greetings - and a load of questions!

JimRides

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2016
Liverpool
I've noticed loads more people riding step throughs these days (electric and not) - 15 / 20 years ago it felt like only vicars and old ladies rode them, everyone else had an MTB, not so now. My e bike isn't a step through but as it is a folder the bar is relatively low - I love being able to jump off dead easily whilst in motion. I'm an overgrown kid! Just get what "feels" best :)

Ben2016

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2016
Warwickshire
I've noticed loads more people riding step throughs these days (electric and not) - 15 / 20 years ago it felt like only vicars and old ladies rode them, everyone else had an MTB, not so now. My e bike isn't a step through but as it is a folder the bar is relatively low - I love being able to jump off dead easily whilst in motion. I'm an overgrown kid! Just get what "feels" best :)
Interestingly we sell about 7 step throughs to 3 cross bar bikes. Both bikes are chosen by both men and women.

All the best, David
It's a silly hang-up really, I know that - and a British one too. When I was in the Netherlands a few weeks back, everyone seemed to be riding everything.

I'll keep pondering it and observe what everyone else is riding around here. Incidentally, I saw an e-bike today but only briefly and didn't see what type. I'll have to keep an eye out for that again to see what it is and who is riding it.

There are pros and cons to both and I do like the step-through version - but then I like and can see advantages to the cross bar one too! Argh decisions - I can see me flip-flopping on this one loads over the coming months!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Ben.....how about our Kudos Sonata?
Full spec on our website,I think it is particularly good value when compared to others because prices did not rise after the fall in the pound v dollar.
Good luck with your search.
KudosDave

Ben2016

Aug 28, 2016
Warwickshire
Thanks Dave, I'll keep that and the Rapide in mind for nearer the time when I'm looking to buy. I think I might find the number of gears excessive for me and the 100kg weight limit doesn't leave much breathing room unfortunately. However, that may hopefully change over the coming months and I dare say I'll need to try it out to find out for certain on the gearing so I may well make arrangements with a local dealer for a test ride nearer the time.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It's a silly hang-up really, I know that - and a British one too. When I was in the Netherlands a few weeks back, everyone seemed to be riding everything.

I'll keep pondering it and observe what everyone else is riding around here. Incidentally, I saw an e-bike today but only briefly and didn't see what type. I'll have to keep an eye out for that again to see what it is and who is riding it.

There are pros and cons to both and I do like the step-through version - but then I like and can see advantages to the cross bar one too! Argh decisions - I can see me flip-flopping on this one loads over the coming months!
Hi Ben, we have designed our 705se and Torque step through frames to take up to 130kg with a ten year warranty. They are expensive frames but we have worked hard to make them strong and rigid enough for men and women to ride confidently.

All the best, David

Reactions: Ben2016

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
There are curvy step throughs and then some less curved ones...

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I ride a step through Wisper. Had it a while now and can't speak highly enough about its performance. Battery still excellent.

I would call a step through a "city bike". A crossbar one a "sports" model.

So there you have it ....no more sexism

Ben2016

Aug 28, 2016
Warwickshire
There are curvy step throughs and then some less curved ones...
Thanks for the suggestion, Bob. Personally, for step-through, I prefer the curvier versions.

I ride a step through Wisper. Had it a while now and can't speak highly enough about its performance. Battery still excellent.
I would call a step through a "city bike". A crossbar one a "sports" model.
So there you have it ....no more sexism
Thanks Crockers. I like your definitions!

Once again, thanks to everyone who's had an input both here and in person which has been very helpful. Whilst I'm not quite ready to jump in yet with me looking at 2017 to be the year I get back on two wheels, this has all been very helpful in terms of preliminary research.