Guilty feelings

Colban

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 19, 2014
I overtake cyclists going up hills sometimes as the motor gives me plenty of help. I can't help but feel guilty sometimes... I've actually stopped before when I saw a guy up ahead really going for it and making good progress as I didn't want to overtake him (I knew I could!)

Anybody else get this?

Reactions: D C and JohnCade

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No :D.

Reactions: EddiePJ

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Respect works both ways. And it's nice to see some.
Respect Colban

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I overtake cyclists going up hills sometimes as the motor gives me plenty of help. I can't help but feel guilty sometimes... I've actually stopped before when I saw a guy up ahead really going for it and making good progress as I didn't want to overtake him (I knew I could!)

Anybody else get this?
Yes. There aren’t many cyclists around here particularly in the winter. But there is one bloke I see occasionally and when I saw him cranking slowly uphill ahead of me the other week I did stop to take my water break and let him go. I didn’t want to take the pi*s.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
You'll get over it, it's not as though you're equal, you're cheating, I often say I'm cheating as I pass them.

Reactions: Nealh

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
You'll get over it, it's not as though you're equal, you're cheating, I often say I'm cheating as I pass them.
I used to be tactful when I passed other bikes when I rode my road trainers around Hertfordshire for many years too. There are many roadies around there and some were weaker then me and some were very strong. So some like me would say a pleasant ‘morning’ and ease pass, and some would look at you hard and almost sneer at you as they accelerated away like Lance Armstrong cracking his rival on the last mountain stage.

Around here in the deep country most people try to be more pleasant.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When I'm out on the bike on my own it is to enjoy the ride and settings, like Eddie say's just get on with it. If I come across any one whether on foot or in the saddle (bike or horse) I always acknowledge them with a simple hello, morning or nice day etc. If someone is in a spot I enquire if all is ok.

Reactions: timidtom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Same as Arstu, I just smile and say "I'm cheating, it's electric".

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Funnily enough, I had the same feeling when I came up behind two Bosch electric bikes going up a hill in Belgium. The hill was only a slight slope, I was tired, so I was throttling only, they were pedalling, but I was going faster.
Just had this embarrassed feeling and hung back.

Reactions: trex

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Funnily enough, I had the same feeling when I came up behind two Bosch electric bikes going up a hill in Belgium. The hill was only a slight slope, I was tired, so I was throttling only, they were pedalling, but I was going faster.
Just had this embarrassed feeling and hung back.
You really missed a trick there Mike. I'd have sailed past with the smiling comment "Chinese technology".

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
This reminds me of my first mid life crisis.. I was in my early 40's, got my self a bike and went into serious training.. On one such training run I could hear/sense another bike getting closer so I pulled out all the stops and held him off for about a mile... and then when he passed me I saw he was about 80 years old.... Did he feel guilty? I think not, he just smiled!!

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Most that I know would understand English, Dutch/Flemish, German and Spanish with equal fluency

Reactions: flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I ride with an unpowered group on Sundays and am careful not to rub their noses in the extra power of the ebike.

Proves nothing, and I would only have to wait longer at the regular regroups.

What I have done a few times is pacemake for the leaders, which they appreciate, particularly when there's a headwind.

All part of the give and take of group riding.

I do my own thing on my own, but don't ride quickly anyway, so I rarely have the chance to 'scalp' another cyclist on a hill.

A little while ago a roadie overtook me and slowed to my pace.

"Hope you don't mind," he said. "But it's getting dark and I want to use your rear light."

Sensible guy.

Reactions: flecc

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
I'm fairly new to riding an electric bike, but have been riding unpowered bikes for years - so have only recently had to deal with this situation. What I have been doing is to reduce my electrical power level so as to stay behind them, in some cases turning it off altogether. I'm not sure I will be able to maintain this approach as the weather improves and the numbers increase though!