haibike bosch motor?

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
hello everyone, I haven't been on here for about 5 months now since I bought my last bike but that's because ive been having so much fun on my bike.

I have now covered over 1600 miles on my cyclotricity kit and have had hours of fun with it and saved hundreds of pounds by not driving or getting a bus into work. I've worked out I have saved almost £400 just in bus fare, would be a lot more if I had a company car that I used to have which would cost me about £200 a month with bik and fuel.

anyway I now have the serious bug of e bikes and I was at the gadget show live yesterday and there was a small test track and ebikes there, that was obviously the first place I went to as soon as I got in there. I rode a moustache mountain bike with a new 2014 bosch performance motor and I couldn't believe the difference in the whole feel and power from that bike compared to the cyclotricity kit I currently have, (I know you get what you pay for but its more than paid for it self).

I now want a decent purpose built ebike and have been looking at the haibikes. I don't think I can stretch to a brand new bike and looking at a second hand one.

can anyone tell me if the 2013 bosch motor is any good, I have heard that they had some problems and that it has now been resolved on the latest 2014 line up. someone from a shop that sells these bikes said there was a problem with a floating bearing or something like that?

fast responces would be great as im going out tomorrow to view one that's been advertised in my local paper and looks like a great deal plus I cant wait to get my hands on one.

thank you in advance.

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Nothing wrong with the Classic motor that a little attention can't easily resolve....Listen for creaking/cracking noises which usually point to a needed re-dispersal/Addition of Grease to the sprung washer.
Allow £500 approx for a new battery if needed, and keep that in mind when haggling on the price,depending on overall condition also.

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
Brilliant. Thanks for the fast reply. This haibike has only done about 200 miles from new and 6 months old apparently. Will be going over later to view and ride. Thank you again.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Note the noise does not mean any damage has been/is caused. Instead it is just annoying if you experience it when riding. It is easy to fix but you need a special tool to remove the spider (Bosch spider tool).

They are good bikes, look forward to pictures assuming you get the bike.

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
hi everyone, thank you for al the input, ive been to see and ride the bike earlier and I think its an amazing deal. it looks mint condition apart from a couple of minor stone chips, its about 7 months old so it should still have the remainder of the warranty. I assume the warranty is transferable to the next owner?.

I didn't hear any noise coming from the motor.

basically its £2000 for a 2013 haibike xduro fs rx. the same as this one...
http://www.justebikes.co.uk/products/haibike-eq-xduro-rx-fs-ebike/

I need to give a decision asap.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have two Bosch bikes and can confirm the system is more or less bomb proof.

It's not the most exciting ride, but I like the close rendition of ordinary cycling.

The bike bits on a Haibike ought to be decent quality and, just as important, serviceable and replaceable.

I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty, bike warranties are almost universally poor when it comes to it, and buying something of this quality you almost certainly won't need to claim.

D

Deleted member 4366

......... and buying something of this quality you almost certainly won't need to claim.
Tell that to all the people whos' white plastic gears snapped and those whos' displays filled up with water.

I think that if you buy a gen 1 Bosch, you want as much warranty as you can get. The chance of it breaking might not be high, but the cost of repair is going to be very high if it does break and you can't get hold of the spare part and fix it yourself. I'm guessing that the later gen 1 Bosch systems are better than the early ones, but you need serial numbers to confirm when the system was made. Haibikes started right at the beginning of Bosch motors, though I don't know about that particular model.

Reactions: flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Tell that to all the people whos' white plastic gears snapped and those whos' displays filled up with water.

I think that if you buy a gen 1 Bosch, you want as much warranty as you can get. The chance of it breaking might not be high, but the cost of repair is going to be very high if it does break and you can't get hold of the spare part and fix it yourself. I'm guessing that the later gen 1 Bosch systems are better than the early ones, but you need serial numbers to confirm when the system was made. Haibikes started right at the beginning of Bosch motors, though I don't know about that particular model.
Dunno about plastic gears, but you can certainly buy replacement displays of both types.

Not that mine will get the chance to fill with water unless I crash into a canal.

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
That's all good to hear. I still haven't given a decision yet. £2000 is a lot of money to part with.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty, bike warranties are almost universally poor when it comes to it
All depends on the level of service the dealer provides. I often find this is the weak spot when it comes to warranty.

Warranty is not transferable. Best buy new for complete piece of mind.
All Bosch spares available here as a price guide - http://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/eBike-Spare-Parts

Obviously with a new bike and a warranty you need not worry.

Regards
Martin

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
I would love to buy a new one. Especially with the latest gen 2 motors but I really can't stretch that far. If I could I would have to go for the xduro sl 29, I know it's still a great bike but less speck than this one and not a full sus.
I would of thought that the warranty would be on the bike though and not the owner?. like with a car.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Ray give dealer a call, there are some transferable warranties e.g. Wisper but normally there are conditions attached. The dealer may decide it is worth it as a potential future customer.

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
I'm going to make some calls tomorrow. I will be servicing the bike every 3000km which is about 4 months for me so if I arrange my servicing then maybe I might get looked after on the warranty front.

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
Nope. Warranty is void as soon as it's sold by the first owner. Does anyone have a haibike on here. I just want to know what realistic range to expect from the battery.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Nope. Warranty is void as soon as it's sold by the first owner. Does anyone have a haibike on here. I just want to know what realistic range to expect from the battery.
Range is heavily dependent on hills, headwinds, the power setting and the amount of effort you put in.

I use sport mode most of the time and in average give and take conditions can get 40 or so miles from an 11ah battery.

That's on my Rose, a Haibike - or any other Bosch bike - will be similar.

Most owners - me included - find the range on Bosch bikes to compare favourably with hub bikes.

The Bosch system encourages you to pedal, so mile after mile you are putting in a little extra effort than you might with a hub bike.

Quite clever in a way because you don't really notice the extra you are putting in, but it does repay you in battery range.

Reactions: flecc

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
That's great. Thanks for quick reply. The only reason I asked is because when I looked at one last week it was showing a full battery but on turbo mode it said range was approximately 13 miles. I wasn't sure if it might of had a highly used battery or not.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
That's great. Thanks for quick reply. The only reason I asked is because when I looked at one last week it was showing a full battery but on turbo mode it said range was approximately 13 miles. I wasn't sure if it might of had a highly used battery or not.
The range indicator is best ignored, it drops to nothing under full load then leaps back up again when you stop.

If you buy a bike, you will soon get to know the range variations for your use.

No reason to think a recent used bike will have a bad battery,

Bosch talk about storing them for months on part charge and if the bike has been used even occasionally the battery should be fine.

Of course, buying anything used carries a risk, so to be certain you should buy a new 2014 bike.

That is almost bound to have a fresh battery because they've not been making the new shape for long.

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
I'm close to making a decision but I could do with advice.

I've been offered an haibike fs rx xduro that retails at 3699. It's 2013 model and been used for about 6 months and done about 200 miles. I can have it for 1900 cash. But I've read that as soon as the 1st owner sells the bike then the warranty is void so I would have a very expensive beautiful bike but with no come back what so ever.

Or I can get a brand new cube reaction hybrid pro for 1630 cash from a cube dealer. This is a hard tail which I don't mind and fine for what I'll be doing with it most of the time and the 29 inch wheels would be great but.....

It's not the haibike. This bike looks gorgeous and rides beautifully.

£1900 for a bike with no return or warranty is a big risk in my eyes.

What do you guys think?