Haibike sduro hardseven SL or xduro hardseven RC?

Tigergreen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 25, 2016
Plymouth
I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
Having decided that the Cyclamatic power plus my dad lent me simply isn't going to cut it as my choice of ebike, I've been doing a lot more research into other options and have test ridden several bikes over the last few days - including hybrids and mtb's with either rear hub drives or crank drives.
Today I tested a Haibike SDURO Hardseven SL with the Yamaha motor and was very impressed (was my favourite so far.) The dealer then suggested I took out its stablemate the XDURO Hardseven RC with the Bosch CX motor to see how they compare (which I had initially dismissed due to its £700 hike in price over the SDURO I.e. £2600 compared to £1895)
Anyway, having been impressed with that too but unwilling to pay the additional premium, he said he would knock the price down from £2600 to £2000 for a cash sale!
He won't give any discount on the SDURO as it has been outselling the XDURO (presumably because of the large price difference), but would allow me to take it on interest free credit. If I want the XDURO on interest free, then I would then have to pay the full price)
On paper, provided I can get the cash together, I guess it should be a simple choice of going for the higher specced XDURO as it will only be £105 dearer than the SDURO - but both seem to have pros and cons.
I think I actually marginally prefer the way the Yamaha motor drives (it seems a little quieter and I like the initial surge it gives when first setting off) but the gearchange on the Bosch seems just a bit smoother and I much prefer the Intuvia display and control switches as its simpler to use and just looks better quality than that of the Yamaha . Also, I believe the Bosch system can have software updates carried out by the dealer whereas the Yamaha are factory set.
The Bosch battery is also 500wh compared to the 400wh of the Yamaha.
However,I can find plenty of reviews on the SDURO (all of which seem to be positive) but not many reviews on the XDURO - so if anyone has the XDURO can you let me know what you think of it, please?
Also, are there any reliability issues with either make of motor?
Will need to make a decision soon as once the last few have gone then the prices will go up as the next in will be the 2017 models.
Many thanks,
Andy

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Both have good motors,but an extra £100 for a better spec bike with that discount is a no brainier in the long term.:)

Reactions: Tigergreen

russmcp

Aug 6, 2016
Surrey
I have a 29 hardtail xduro cx. 500w v 400w for £100 more makes me think you should go for the cx.

I absolutely love my bike, it makes getting up those hills a breeze but I know I'm still working out.

22 miles the other night. No complaints yet. Fantastic product.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I agree there's not much difference in the motors.

The bigger battery on the Bosch for only an extra £100 or so would swing it for me.

Reactions: Tigergreen

Tigergreen

Aug 25, 2016
Plymouth
Thanks for all the replies.
I've made my decision.
It'll be no surprise that I have gone for the XDURO with the Bosch CX motor.
On the original road test, I thought the SDURO Yamaha had felt slightly more powerful than the XDURO Bosch.
What I hadn't realised, however, is that the XDURO I had used for the test, was last year's model with the standard Bosch performance motor which has only got 60Nm max torque compared to the CX with it's 75Nm max torque!
The CX will therefore feel just as powerful as the Yamaha.
Because of the £600 discount offered, the dealer will not allow me to buy the XDURO on interest-free credit but will allow me to buy it using a credit card.
So, I've paid him a £100 deposit to hold the bike and have successfully applied for a credit card which offers 0% on purchases over 27 months - so I'll get my interest-free credit that way instead!
It'll be a week or two before the card comes through, so it'll give me time to consider a decent lock, lights, new helmet etc.
I feel like a kid at Christmas and can't wait to finally get my hands on the bike..!!

Regards,
Andy.

Tigergreen

Aug 25, 2016
Plymouth
Finally picked up the bike at the weekend and thought I'd go out for a quick short ride to ease my stiff old body back into cycling and riding in traffic again.
What a laugh!!
Some 20 minute ride!
I didn't return home until 1 1/2 hours and nearly 20 miles later!!
I found myself cycling around Plymouth seeking out ever steeper hills to see how the bike would cope with them.
Needless to say, it coped brilliantly and the looks on the faces of a couple of youngsters on their lightweight road bikes as I breezed past them on one particular hill was a sight to behold!
Only negative was the antagonistic attitude of a couple of motorists who would overtake me and then immediately ease tight into the kerb so as to prevent me going up the inside in stopped traffic queues at lights etc.
Needless to say, a few choice words were exchanged!
Anyway, here's a pic of the bike.IMG_20161002_123700.jpg

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Finally picked up the bike at the weekend and thought I'd go out for a quick short ride to ease my stiff old body back into cycling and riding in traffic again.
What a laugh!!
Some 20 minute ride!
I didn't return home until 1 1/2 hours and nearly 20 miles later!!
I found myself cycling around Plymouth seeking out ever steeper hills to see how the bike would cope with them.
Needless to say, it coped brilliantly and the looks on the faces of a couple of youngsters on their lightweight road bikes as I breezed past them on one particular hill was a sight to behold!
Only negative was the antagonistic attitude of a couple of motorists who would overtake me and then immediately ease tight into the kerb so as to prevent me going up the inside in stopped traffic queues at lights etc.
Needless to say, a few choice words were exchanged!
Anyway, here's a pic of the bike.View attachment 15855
Good stuff.

I don't know how much road riding you've done, but experience is invaluable when dealing with motor traffic.

It's probably best not to offer on-road driving tuition to drivers, it's rarely well-received and if they lose their temper they have a much bigger weapon than you.

Going up the left hand side is also dodgy.

A bigger risk of being 'doored' because you cannot leave enough space, and a risk of being left hooked when the vehicle turns left without indicating.

That's more a risk with lorries which have caused several fatalities in London at left turn junctions.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing