Haibike unite with Yamaha to bring a whole new eBike range to Europe

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Guys,

Very excited to announce that Haibike have united with Yamaha to bring a whole new 'sDuro' electric bike range to Europe and the UK.

Expect a full press release on our blog shortly.

We are at the product launch today and I am personally speaking with the Haibike CEO, product manager and Yamaha product manager, I will release a full article shortly.

The new range will be focused on the younger generation and will introduce a whole new lower priced crank drive range.

Only a short post as I am on my phone at the moment so don't expect fast replies till I am back in the UK.

Check out our Facebook page for some sneak peak photos of the motor integration and the product launch conference.

Regards
Martin

Reactions: tillson

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
I've already posted a PDF with 2015 models. The Yamaha models without pictures but with prices in EUR. Prices for models with Yamaha motors are quite good. I think this has got to do with the Winora link.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
I've already posted a PDF with 2015 models. The Yamaha models without pictures but with prices in EUR. Prices for models with Yamaha motors are quite good. I think this has got to do with the Winora link.
Notice the Xduro Dwnhll on the Spec sheets you posted, Bosch motor & Yamaha display! Think that's probably a mistake.

I remember the Yamahas being mentioned a year or two ago but have heard little about them since. Looks like Haibike have taken the lead on bringing them to market.

Overall this has to be a good thing. Bosch currently really dominate the higher end eBikes & some healthy competition is generally good for the consumer.

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
There are other mistakes on the photo's; e.g. the brake discs when mentioned as SLX are o SLX discs.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
has anybody spotted a haibike treekking yamaha one yet??

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I remember the Yamahas being mentioned a year or two ago but have heard little about them since. Looks like Haibike have taken the lead on bringing them to market.
Giant are already using Yamaha motors in their e-mtb's.

If you haven't already seen one, they are the Full-E and Full-E +1
It is/was one of the bikes that I was considering as the next purchase to replace the BH, but I'm pretty certain that my money will be heading in the direction of KTM.

They are also using the system on other models in the line up.

I was looking at a Giant Prime e+ just a few weeks ago in Cycle Revival, and got to say that Yamaha make nice looking motor. Mind you, Giant make a nice quality, well finished bike as well.

So in respect of the above, Haibike haven't taken the lead on bringing Yamaha to the market.

Last edited:
Reactions: electric.mike

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
The Yamaha motors are lighter (3.5kgs), longer range (170km on Eco range) and cheaper. On the test rides that Haibike Arranged for its official UK dealers over the weekend at the product launch the motors performed faultlessly. Indeed yesterday morning the product manager for Sduro proudly announced they had just won the German ebike MTB championship. As with all of these things you have to ride it to understand it. The sduro s ship very soon and I will let you know when the bikes have arrived with us for test rides. As Felix Puello and Ingo the chief engineer explained at the launch this is all about getting a younger 20-40 year old demographic involved with faster and more competitively priced bikes. I can't give you a firm £ price yet but the entry level comes in at sub 2000 euros. Game changers !

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On first seeing the new Yamaha unit I thought it might be something special. Their first e-bikes back in 1999 were market leaders and put the opposition in the shade, but over time they failed to meet the fight back from others so by about 2005 they had dropped into obscurity.

They then made the mistake of closely copying the Panasonic unit, always a bad idea since it confirms the rival as the best, and that was only ever taken up by one little known e-bike maker with very limited sales.

So I didn't expect them to make such a mistake again, and from Spencer Ivy's post above it appears I won't be disappointed.

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
We were treated to a marvelous performance from Yamaha's CEO of Europe - Mr Gas, Gas - Full speed ahead...a really engaging and thoroughly passionate man who believes in power speed and performance...a great strap line for all 20-40 year olds who historically have left these machines to us oldies..of course they are all 250w same as all others. Yamaha have no plans to offer a S pedelec motor yet. (Interestingly enough I had a long chat to Felix Puello about implementing the US 20mph limit. Certainly we as members of BEBA have been conducting lengthy chats with UK lawmakers regarding the whole S area...expect some developments soon...The main engineer on the S project - Knuth - was at pains to point out during a technical seminar that the Yamaha motor data errs on the side of caution, not overstating the motor's abilities. Using the German industry standard "Extra Energy" testing circuit Yamaha / Haibike achieved the following results :- on HIGH setting 70km range, on STD setting 85km range and on ECO 170km. Both management teams are confident of these readings. The motor provides 100% additional power boost on ECO setting, 190% on STD and 280% on HIGH. Weight is 2.9kgs, after 700 charge cycles there is still 50% capacity. Battery cost is euros 600. THE ABSOLUTE KILLER MOVE FROM YAMAHA IS THAT THE BATTERY SLIDES OUT FROM ITS HOUSING TO THE LEFT...IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE LIFTED UP AND OUT LIKE THE BOSCH. THIS ALLOWS HAIBIKE TO OFFER FEMALE SPECIFIC FRAME SIZES AND GEOMETRY ON THEIR NEW RANGE OF TREKKING AND MTBs ...Over the course of the weekend we learnt that Haibike have elevated e-biking a level or 2. They have a bike for every situation, starting at euros 1900 and rising to the frankly astonishing £6000 Nduro. Speak to your dealer asap to arrange a demo / test ride...as Winoura's CEO Susanne told us everything from the Nyon displays to the Yamaha motors to the female-specific MTBs will make you say "wow" !

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Would be interesting to know what torque figures they are quoting. I am sure I read 60 or 70nm which would be on a par with its competitors.

Last edited:

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
Hi David, Knuth quoted 80nm..and the power is more or less instantaneous...no lag at all making hill stops / starts on Ventoux a breeze...

Reactions: flecc