Haibike Xduro FS - First Impressions

shep

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
Sarcastic remark time !!!!! My Tonaro Bighit you know the one fitted with the car "wiper blade motor" is going fine at just over 800 miles so far, and getting 50 miles out of a 10ah battery, which remarkably is now proving even more efficient than my Kalkhoff Agattu !!!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's brilliant Shep, good to hear how well it's going and that long range. New though they are, I think we'll be seeing very much more of the Tonaro name in future. Powerpedals seem to be on to a winner.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I suppose it depends how one views things and what one's requirement are.
I think that is the one nail that needs to be hit, the Haibike certainly meets my requirements and I knew it as soon as I saw it and read about it. As I stated in my OP I'd been waiting for an affordable bike of this genre a bike that could really be put to its intended use.

The Tonaro fails for me before I've even ridden it, based on its quirky looks, one of my requirements is to 'fit in' with the cycling community as much as possible, I fear the Tonaro would bring more ridicule amongst the mountain bikers I hang with than I would care to attract. However, I ride an electric bike which already marks me out as different and I accept that, it's part of the fun.

The Tonaro should be a worthy challenger if off-road mountain biking capability is what is being asked for and I am quite happy to take part. There are plenty of purpose built mountain bike areas around the UK and would be willing to travel to one at mutual convenience for a fun day out exploring each bikes capabilities. Any takers?

For an everyday road and light trail bike, both these bikes are capable and even I would question spending as much on an ebike when I could get the same capabilty for £500. But my requirements are different. Each to their own.

Last edited:

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I have to agree with eTim regarding quality mountain bikes - they just ride so much better than cheap ones. I have never regretted spending nearly 2k for my Specialized Epic so the Haibike does seem a good price for what you get. I can't believe I am seriously considering one to replace the Epic but it probably needs to be able to go a bit faster to satisfy me.
The main reason I originally bought the Epic was because it has a brainshock suspension system where the rear shock is locked solid until you go on bumpy ground when it automatically becomes active - it's brilliantly efficient.

shep

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
i was only being sarcastic. I would have a Haibike in an instant looks a great bike to me. I also completely agree regarding the quality issue as well. My Agattu is a real thing of beauty as regards quality, and in this respect is better than the Tonaro

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
I have to agree with eTim regarding quality mountain bikes - they just ride so much better than cheap ones. I have never regretted spending nearly 2k for my Specialized Epic so the Haibike does seem a good price for what you get. I can't believe I am seriously considering one to replace the Epic but it probably needs to be able to go a bit faster to satisfy me.
The main reason I originally bought the Epic was because it has a brainshock suspension system where the rear shock is locked solid until you go on bumpy ground when it automatically becomes active - it's brilliantly efficient.
great bike that epic....you going to put an e bike kit on it ?

regards

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I've had an ezee front hub on it for about 18 months. Used most days to go to work and off-road tracks at the weekend - very versatile. Recently I used it to go touring for a month in Morocco so I took the kit off and fitted a custom made rack and it was impressive for that too. The total weight incl a small 5Ahr battery (enough for 10 ish fast miles) is 20kg.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Have Haibike will travel

Top of Old Harry Rocks, Dorset

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Swanage pier in the background

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I used to scuba dive in Swanage. Happy memories. Now I've just sold my stab jacket to fund my next ebike project!

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I used to scuba dive in Swanage. Happy memories. Now I've just sold my stab jacket to fund my next ebike project!
I dived the Betsy Anna on Saturday, we had big swells, which made the transit out there interesting, with many a green face, one of our ribs aborted because they were all sick!! It's a lovely wreck and I will have to dive it again when the sea is calmer, today would have been a good day :)

Have you got any more kit for sale? I'm looking for a pony?

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
A couple more from today on the South Coast.....

Volunteer Coastguard at Peveril Point, Swanage

The photo flattens the steepness, my wife dismounted before trundling down this little bit, I had to lift our bikes over several stiles as this part of the path is footpath only and bikes are not strictly allowed :0

We made it to the swimming pool at Dancing Ledges, this is covered at high tide, it was hot and we could have done with a swim but we didn't have any gear with us, definitely next time....

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Impressive pictures...love them :)

Lynda

Apr 19, 2011
eTim how’s your rear tyre wear? Now having to fit new to demo bikes. I’m keen to find some good looking slicks - like the would-be motocross bikes run when don’t actually go off road – silly I know but it’s a great look and safer/faster/(cooler?) in city environs. Anyone have any ideas? (26 x 2.25)

James

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
eTim how’s your rear tyre wear? Now having to fit new to demo bikes. I’m keen to find some good looking slicks - like the would-be motocross bikes run when don’t actually go off road – silly I know but it’s a great look and safer/faster/(cooler?) in city environs. Anyone have any ideas? (26 x 2.25)

James
Hi James, I don't know how many miles you have done on your demo's but mine has probably only done 110-120 miles mainly offroad, I haven't noticed any discernable wear so far (and not had a puncture yet either). I like the Nobby Nics, nice and grippy off-road and pretty good handling on road also.

On other 26" wheels I have fitted these Conti's which I like for their low rolling resistance, puncture resistance and some ability on the byeways:

Continental Bicycle -TravelContact

As I was looking at the Conti website, I had to laugh at the seperate section for ebike tyres:

Continental Bicycle -Eco Contact & Eco Contact Plus

I have also fitted Schwalbe Marathon Extreme, which I like for comfort, low rolling resistance, puncture protection and better ability good off-road conditions:

Schwalbe UK

I also notice that Schwalbe are starting to brand some tyres for ebikes also.

I had a go at doing my own Aldeburgh steps the other day, nothing as extreme as your demo, it was great fun and a really satisfying achievement, but I take my hat off to your guys, that is some feat, not sure it could be done on a non-assist bike unless you have mountain goat legs and alot of technical skill (and bottle) ;)

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Some more photos....

Leaving Glasto (notice WW3 in the background)

On the beach in Devon

Can't beat a real fire

Stunning South Coast Path again, this time in Devon