Hailong battery help, possible controller fault?

Leewee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2018
Hi guys, I have this battery http://eclipsebikes.com/product_info.php?products_id=109
And im hoping it's just my charger thats given up (I'm waiting on a new one) but I'm making plans in case it isn't. Basically it stopped taking charge suddenly, and went from 3 led lights lighting up on the indicator to none at all, which is why I'm concerned it could be the controller.

Is there any part I can buy in the UK to repair the battery if its just the controller? I can't seem to find anything as I'm not 100% on what to actually search for.

Thanks in advance

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Check the fuses on your battery. Most have a charge and discharge one fitted on the outside. Some are inside the pack. If you don't have one, get a DVM, you will need one to find any fault with battery or charger.

Leewee

Aug 28, 2018
Check the fuses on your battery. Most have a charge and discharge one fitted on the outside. Some are inside the pack. If you don't have one, get a DVM, you will need one to find any fault with battery or charger.

I'm not sure I can see where a fuse would be on my battery unit, seems to be sealed with a socket for the charger, a usb port and a power switch. What type of fuse is it? I'll get it open and have a look

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Yes, they may be inside, usually the car-type blade fuses or inline glass type. The case should be screwed together from the base side. Take great care when opening it, they can be glued/siliconed together. Avoid shoving anything metalic inside the case. There may also be loose/broken wires inside. You may be better to contact Eclipse and ask thier advise.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Check the output voltage on your charger plugged in to the mains and switched on, if it reads 54.6v then it is ok.
The battery charge issue could be a charge fuse but might also be a low cell group, if the latter the BMS will not allow charging until the low voltage is above the lvc threshold.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The controller cannot influence the charging of the battery.

When you have charging problems, a simple test procedure will point you at where the problem lies. First, you measure the voltage on the charger jack, then you measure the voltage on the battery's charge socket.

It's a bit tricky to measure the voltage on the charge jack socket. It can be done if you're careful. One probe goes on the pin in the middle and the other on the blade on the side. You must not let your probes touch each other nor short between the blade and the pin, otherwise you'll see sparks and blow the charge fuse if there is one. A better way is to cut a Jack off a disused charger and spread the wires on it so your probes can make easy contact without shorting anything.

After this test, you will know whether you need to open the battery and what the likely cause is. You shouldn't open anything until you've done the test.

Leewee

Aug 28, 2018
Cheers guys, new charger came and charged the battery fine. It must have just been completely flat.
Thanks for you help though!