Halfords Carrera Crossfire E question

Wrongway

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2017
Cumbria
I have just joined the forum with the hope of getting an e-bike soon. I am not as fit as I was and my road bike has been unused in the garage for about 5 years now. It's all these nearby hills, but what more can you expect living on the edge of the Lake District.

I had a trip to Halfords last night after a bit of a browse on their website. I liked the look of the Carrera Crossfire E mens bike which is about in the right price range and seemed reasonably well specced. One thing niggled me though and I can't find a definitive answer from Halfords branch or their head office. The display shows Km/H and distance in Kilometres. Can this be changed to MPH. I don't know about everyone else but I have worked in MPH and miles all my life. The girl in the branch said yes it can, but other things I have read said it can't. Any ideas.
The price in the shop was £1200 but I believe they had a sale a few months back. Has anyone got a better deal from them recently. Mind, if I can't set MPH it's academic as I will have to look for something else.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

BornAgainCyclist

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Sanderstead
Ask the girl in the shop to show you how to do it?

The maths is X * 5 / 8 if you fancy a mental workout (it is linear). With 15.5mph = 25kph, which is likely to be the top speed, as an up and down pillar for man maths.

Wrongway

Jun 22, 2017
Cumbria
Ask the girl in the shop to show you how to do it?

The maths is X * 5 / 8 if you fancy a mental workout (it is linear). With 15.5mph = 25kph, which is likely to be the top speed, as an up and down pillar for man maths.
I was hoping someone who owned one here might have had a better answer. I didn't ask her to show me how to do it as I assumed she knew what she was talking about. It's only when I got home and looked deeper I had doubts. I can do the maths, but don't see why I should. I would probably be similarly disappointed if my car only showed Km/H.

• Agree

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
You're here now and you haven't bought a bike yet. Have a browse at what the traders on here have to offer and listen to their advice. You may find a bike to suit those hills, and your mathematical needs, a bit better.

I've lived abroad for years, in the past, and Km/H is still a constant pain to convert. :rolleyes:

You'll get all the answers you need soon enough. Welcome aboard. :)

Reactions: Gaz and Wrongway

Wrongway

Jun 22, 2017
Cumbria
On the "old" version of the screen (with Animals on) you are stuck with KMH.
On the "new" version of the screen (removable), press and hold the "i" key for around 6 seconds to switch between KMH and MPH.
Thank you for that :). Just need to see if I can get a better price now. The demo might give me an idea if they are up to date on versions.

Last edited:
  • Agree

BornAgainCyclist

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Sanderstead
You could join British Cycling for 10%, reserve and collect via quidco for cashback (3% ), pay using vouchers from zeek.me (around 10% discount) which are bought via quidco for cashback on top of any sale price.

Rolling Sly Stone

May 30, 2017
Hertfordshire
I've recently bought a Crossfire-e on cycle2work scheme and Halfords did it for £990 as I mentioned it had only recently been on sale. They also gave me an extra 10% off as a gesture of good will!

I've just ordered the female version for my missus (NOT through cycle2work) and they've agreed to do the same price on that one too!

• Useful

Wrongway

Jun 22, 2017
Cumbria
Just come back from Halfords and a very helpful chap this time confirmed the newer versions of the bike can be set to MPH. He even showed me on another model as the one on display was a demo bike with an older unit fitted. I am hoping to go back after the weekend to have a test ride on it which should answer a few more burning questions for me.

Pricewise he basically said hard luck. If on a cycle to work scheme I could get discount. However as I retired 9 years ago (64 now) it doesn't apply. I did get a bike on that scheme the year that it was introduced. It looks like the best I can do is to join British Cycling for £27 and get 10% off which is about £120. Zeek and Quidco is starting to complicate things too much with too many middle men to claim cashback from. Getting closer though. The main hill near here thats the biggest pain and it's about 600 yard long and goes from about 30feet to 150 feet over that length.

• Informative

BornAgainCyclist

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Sanderstead
Quidco should all happen automatically for click and collect, no harm in doing it. Zeek is an investment of time but for a hundred quid ...

British cycling also do children's membership should you have grandkids and they want to buy grandad a bike.

• Useful