Halfords Carrera e-Bike now only £799.99

doclatham

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 18, 2013
I've been following the various threads and reviews on the Carrera and was seriously considering getting one for me and the wife. When visiting Halfords yesterday I noticed a member of staff writing up "20% of all bikes" discount cards. I asked if this included e-bikes and he confirmed it would and the sale would start on Tuesday. The 20% discount is confirmed on their website this morning, the 19th July.

So I'm going to pop along with the wife for a test ride later today. They seemed to be a good deal at £1000, so at £800, surely I'd be mad to not get one?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, get one if you can. They are already very good value at £999.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Yes, great deal with the 20% off....
If that bike had been around three years ago, when i fitted a kit to a Carrera Crossfire, i would have bought that instead.
I notice that they're still saying 9amp/hr battery, when its really 11amp/hr.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

doclatham

Nov 18, 2013
Oh dear - it appears that Halfords aren't in the cycletowork scheme that my company operates. I might still be better off buying a more expensive bike elsewhere and saving the tax

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Can you derestrict the 15.5MPH limit?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Oh dear - it appears that Halfords aren't in the cycletowork scheme that my company operates. I might still be better off buying a more expensive bike elsewhere and saving the tax
Like a bike at £1000 minus 20% VAT? :p

Reactions: KeithMac

doclatham

Nov 18, 2013
Our cycletoscheme web site is saying I would say about £300 if I bought a bike for £800, and £418 on a £1000 bike, so it seems to be more than just the VAT I save.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
well spotted doclatham
just been to local Halfords t0 peruse , lots of bikes reduced,
a customer was picking up a bike and paid more than the same bike on offer at 20% reduction, he got a refund
my subway 1 was £215 a few days ago now £183.99 I too got a refund of £31 more beer vouchers for the hot weather.

doclatham

Nov 18, 2013
Enjoy the refund - if I have helped somebody collect some beer vouchers, that can only be a good thing. Off to Halfords at 16:00 as soon as I can sneak out of the office

doclatham

Nov 18, 2013
Well I've ordered 2 bikes, one for me and one for the wife. Pick them up on Sunday for a 2 hour trial ride. If we don't like them we don't need to keep them. Chap in the shop confirmed that extra 10% for British Cycling should be available.

One observation. The sample Men's bike they had in the shop had a couple of missing and damaged spokes on the rear wheel, so I could test it. Damage probably caused by other trial riders. However I wonder if this is a potential weak spot?