Halfords Carrera e-Bike now only £799.99

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you can run your fingers over the spokes and feel which ones are loosened.
it's a common problem with all the rear motor wheels. Loosened spokes will break. You need to take care of your spokes, sort them out or get them sorted right away when you hear them creaking or rattling.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Technical question,
Do loose spokes break?
Or is it the ones either side that have to take the extra strain?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Technical question,
Do loose spokes break?
Or is it the ones either side that have to take the extra strain?
Ouch my head hurts! Tough question. My vote would go for the spokes which have to support the extra strain, doing the work of two it would seem.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Be aware that the British Cycling discount only applies to in-store purchases, not via the website. DAHIKT!

Paul Tudor

Just Joined
Jul 20, 2016
UK
I've been following the various threads and reviews on the Carrera and was seriously considering getting one for me and the wife. When visiting Halfords yesterday I noticed a member of staff writing up "20% of all bikes" discount cards. I asked if this included e-bikes and he confirmed it would and the sale would start on Tuesday. The 20% discount is confirmed on their website this morning, the 19th July.

So I'm going to pop along with the wife for a test ride later today. They seemed to be a good deal at £1000, so at £800, surely I'd be mad to not get one?
I bought a Carrera Crossfire E bike a few weeks ago (at the higher price) and have enjoyed every moment on it. In a little over 2 weeks I have cycled 121kms. I noticed in another thread comments regarding distance and was quite surprised (well amazed) to see that someone suggested a maximum range of around 30 miles before the battery needs re-charging. Well this does of course depend on the power setting which the rider selects. I generally use the lowest setting (camel) and occasionally using higher settings when I need to (on an incline for example). I never use the higher settings for speed and cycle on the lowest setting at a steady pace, usually maximum of around 15km. Using the lowest setting gives me enough assist to make cycling comfortable and allows me to improve my fitness through enjoyable exercise. I am late 60's. On the flat the lowest setting is perfectly acceptable and I have carried out several tests to see what range I can get on using mostly the lowest power setting with occasional (1 to 3 minutes max) on the next higher setting. On the latest test (Sunday 18th July) I cycled 12.5km and used 10% battery power, mostly on the lowest setting and occasionally on a higher setting for a minute or so. On previous tests I had similar results and my conclusion is that the range can be around 125km from a full charge using the lowest setting and cycling at a leisurely pace (I go on canal paths, cycle tracks). The range will vary from person to person of course, but my advice would be to use the lowest setting for normal cycling. Higher settings eat up the battery very fast.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This is a 60 km ride I did last year and which I am planning to do again as soon as I get my 20 Ah battery pack together so that I don't have to pedal the last 5 km home... You are right, on the flat at a leisurely pace range can be in excess of 100 km but not where I live.
zarautz_st_jean.png

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Paul
You are correct the slower you go the less energy needed to overcome air resistance. And the flatter and smoother the way the better.
Our general rule of 2-3 miles per Ah of battery is good for the majority who travel at 25 kph with some pedalling. There are a few who don't pedal and live in hilly areas who get almost no range, and a few fitter types who get better ranges.
If I restricted my speed I have done over 120 miles in a day using no battery at all? But I was fitter then:(

• Agree
Reactions: trex and LeighPing

Moorlie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
Oh dear - it appears that Halfords aren't in the cycletowork scheme that my company operates. I might still be better off buying a more expensive bike elsewhere and saving the tax
Check the scheme your company is using. I was in the process of obtaining this bike through company cycle to work scheme, however the 20% discount on offer by Halfords right now (July 2016) along with 0% finance option worked out a better option for me. No "pay RRP", no salary sacrifice, no worry about pension impact, no HMRC end of hire payment to be made, no waiting for it to be signed off before the 2 week UK summer ends (okay, that may have been me ranting about red tape and your experience may be better).

doclatham

Nov 18, 2013
Two bikes bought today! A small and medium frame size for me and the taller wife.

My only concern from our test drive is that at certain speeds the motor seemed to be sometimes "tugging" me backwards, almost as if it was adding resistance rather than removing it. I think this was simply an illusion and the tugging was me occasionally feeling the full weight of the bike as the motor cut out, rather than actually resistance but it was disconcerting. I found that if this happened and I dropped down a gear, the effect seemed to go away, but I was then pedalling with a higher cadence than I would normally. i'd appreciate any feedback from you experts on if this is normal.

Here's a brief summary of the experience.....

Halford's were brilliant. After a quick visit on Tuesday evening they ordered in two bikes of the sizes we wanted. Very quick delivery, they could have been ready as early as Friday, but we weren't able to get back to the shop until Sunday.

We were allowed a TWO hour test drive of the bikes and they even lent me a helmet as I had forgotten mine

We only intended to ride a couple of miles to the nearest hill (more of a slope really) to get a feel for the bikes, but ended up doing the whole of the 21.5 miles Guild Wheel. A cycle route that circles our home town of Preston.

I am a keen and competent cyclist. In fact I have been put off getting an ebike as I would normally average over 17mph on a 40 miles ride on my road bike and therefore didn't think I would get much assistance from an ebike.

Well "Big Smile on My Face" this was great to ride. To be honest both my wife and I did the route with the controller set in it's lowest 'camel' setting, just occasionally switching up to higher levels to experiment or to negotiate short sharp hills. After accelerating up and around a narrow set of steep hairpins my wife has decided she would never use the top "mountain goat" mode as it scared her too much!

On the plus side: They were great fun. We only really needed the lowest settings (I'm sure we will use the other settings on our holiday to Devon). The battery on mine had 3 bars when I left the shop but dropped to 2 bars within 0.5 miles. After a further 20 miles it was still on 2 bars. My wife seemed to get largely the same performance and to be fair she is heavier and less fit than I am. My battery indicator seemed to stick at 36 (percent?) for 10 miles. Then dropped to as low as 29% after a small hill, then slowly climbed back up to 35.8% over the next few miles. Tomorrow I will do the 38 miles round trip to work (hilly) and see how that works out. Comfortable to ride. My wife initially complained that she would need to switch to her normal gel saddle, but actually after 20 miles she actually changed her mind.

CONS: They have definitely minimised any expenditure on extras. No mudguards, no bottle holder (nor any space to put a bottle holder). No quick release on the saddle height (but easily purchased and added myself). The computer doesn't seem to be removable and only works in KPH rather than MPH.

There are 3 chaps waiting in the office to try my bike on Monday, two of whom already cycle to work regularly, with commutes of 10-20 miles each way. So these aren't unfit people, they (like me) want to take the pain out of the hills, so we don't arrive at the office (with no showers) super sweaty.

Halfords have confirmed an extra 10% for British Cycling membership so these bikes will cost £720 each. They even offer 12 months interest free.

Why are you reading this - you should be down at Halfords buying one of these?

Reactions: LeighPing

doclatham

Nov 18, 2013
It's a fab buy at this price,
Quick update. Return trip to work. Probably 35 miles. Used two bars. One there and one back. Includes some long hills so good going. Reckon I've enough juice to get back in the morning and then recharge battery at work.

BAD NEWS. Bike just shut down whilst riding home on the flat with no bumps. Had to stop and then wait 10 secs and then I could switch on again. Definitely not overheated. I'm worried this is a loose connection issue.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Informative

Moorlie

Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
Well this does of course depend on the power setting which the rider selects. I generally use the lowest setting (camel) and occasionally using higher settings when I need to (on an incline for example). I never use the higher settings for speed and cycle on the lowest setting at a steady pace, usually maximum of around 15km. Using the lowest setting gives me enough assist to make cycling comfortable and allows me to improve my fitness through enjoyable exercise. I am late 60's.
Excellent post. I am new to electric bikes, really new. I have been riding like a push bike, it came set on ?? and when I am riding I just use the gears to adjust. Now I am wondering how to mix power settings with gears. When does a lower gear beat more power for maximum distance - same true for higher gear and less power.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
@Moorlie Welcome to the learning curve! We can't help you there, some things you have to learn by practice and experience

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Lower power and slower makes for longer range.
Several reasons. If your cycling then you provide a greater percentage of the drive so less power from battery required.
And slower uses less power to overcome wind resistance. Above 15 kph I believe it's the dominant factor.
The only time speed is better for range is when it's rolling and you go down hill very fast and climb the other side on momentum. I cruse down toone bit at 20 speed up to 40 at bottom of underpass and still at 17 when I hit the top.
Going slow I would have a short stiff climb. About a minute vs 15 seconds at speed.
As you get fitter your range increases.
It's all about efficiency, enjoy.
And Brooke's is best(for most)

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Excellent post. I am new to electric bikes, really new. I have been riding like a push bike, it came set on ?? and when I am riding I just use the gears to adjust. Now I am wondering how to mix power settings with gears. When does a lower gear beat more power for maximum distance - same true for higher gear and less power.
Take it up some hills and see what works best for you.

I discovered that, with 24 gears and 6 levels of power assist, the easiest setting was like pedalling fresh air. Level 6 (maximum power assistance) and gear number one on the bike, generally used for going up mega-steep hills.

Suseka

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2016
Norfolk
Our cycletoscheme web site is saying I would say about £300 if I bought a bike for £800, and £418 on a £1000 bike, so it seems to be more than just the VAT I save.
Can't comment on those savings -but it's not VAT but Income Tax deductions that are the 'savings'. Basically whatever monthly cost you end up paying through the 'salary sacrifice scheme' is deducted from gross. In my case I will save £241 against the £995 price tag. Definitely worth doing if you have a C2W scheme available to you :)

• Informative

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Just a thought. If doing salary sacrifice check how it affects your pension. If in a Final Salary scheme by reducing salary you may well reduce pension.

As I said just a thought.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

doclatham

Nov 18, 2013
Thought I'd provide a quick update. I've had the Carrera for 3 weeks now and have covered 450km. I'm very happy with the bike (especially at a cost of £700). The 'tugging' is a little frustrating, but I have learned to adjust my riding style accordingly. The 16 mile route to work now takes about an hour rather than a more typical journey of 1 hour 20 mins. I've had the battery cut out issue 3 times, but seemingly all bunched together within a hour, not a repeating issue so far.

As far as range, I easily manage 1.5 trips to work on one charge. So a total of 48 miles on one charge, by which point I am down to one bar. I think I could therefore easily get to 60 miles. However, although this route does include some proper hills (1100ft of climbing on the way to work) , on the flat, I am often cruising without the battery as I am over the 15mph cut-off.

I'd recommend this bike!

• Informative

dangis

Just Joined
May 8, 2015
Batteries based on li-ion chemistry last longer if you avoid fully charging/discharging them. Also you should minimize time when battery sits fully charged. I recommend maintaining your battery accordingly, for example charging it to 90% just before the ride and topping up when possible instead of discharging fully. Such strategy can prolong your battery as much as two times or more.