Halfords vengeance cutting out

Russ34

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2021
Teignmouth
Hi , I’ve recently bought a second hand Halfords vengeance , I’m really impressed unfortunately on my way back from a ride today it cut out a couple of times ! I had to hold the on button on the battery then it came back on but went off again , in the end it stayed on . Has anyone got any knowledge with these bikes at all please? Many thanks

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
If you use the forum search, you'll find it's littered with many Carrera e-bike owners having cut-out issues. There's plenty to read here, but IIRC no-one ever really came up with a permanent solution to the problem... and Halfords don't seem to have an answer either.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The shut down is likely an over sensitive BMS in the battery, it may use extra sensing/comms I believe to the controller/display.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nothing with the system it self as it is is a Suntour one which have had a few unresolved issues. Some have tried extra straps to stop the battery moving in case of a contact issue and some have tried extra ties for the motor cable joint claiming this is where the issue is at.
The reason why the screen turns off is a voltage/power supply issue so the motor cable issue I believe is a Red herring. The issue is somewhere between battery - controller - display.
Others have replaced the controller and display with generic available ones and reused the battery without issues.

bigarm

Just Joined
Jun 29, 2022
I had a problem with the battery cutting out. sometime error 33, sometimes just blue flashing lights. It seemed like a handshake problem with the battery and canbus, its proved to be the battery holder had moved a little. Where the key is for the battery there is a cover and screw, remove that. Then under there are 2 screws, adjust screws and position of top end until battery fits snug with moving, solved my problems anyway. good luck.

Reactions: chrisw101

Tabascojoe

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2022
I followed these steps and noticed how much tighter the battery fit after! It had a fair bit of movement before but now no movement at all while clipped in. I hope this works!

chrisw101

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2023
I had a problem with the battery cutting out. sometime error 33, sometimes just blue flashing lights. It seemed like a handshake problem with the battery and canbus, its proved to be the battery holder had moved a little. Where the key is for the battery there is a cover and screw, remove that. Then under there are 2 screws, adjust screws and position of top end until battery fits snug with moving, solved my problems anyway. good luck.
Thanks! Followed these steps and problem solved. Manual provided is useless.