Hall wires in sparta ion hub motor

blu joe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2023
I have a sparta ion 40nm rear hub motor, i need to add the hall wires to the controller, i remove the inbuilt controller from the hub and added the 3 phase wires, but i am unsure of the wiring sequence for the 5 hall wires

There are 5 small wires coming from the central axel in the hub, they are:

Red
Brown
Orange
Green
Yellow

Which wire are the 5v power wires and which are the sensor wires, how do i check?

Please see attached 2 pic of both sides of the hub motor5688856889

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Does it really matter which colours you use so long as you get the right connections to the controller?

The fella in this video made a new harness, but if you want red, black, blue, yellow and green wires you can always buy a new harness, or maybe thread in some 6 core alarm cable To replace your existing sensor wiring.

blu joe

Oct 6, 2023
My controller is sensored, i need to know the colours on which is the power wires so not to blow the hall sensors

blu joe

Oct 6, 2023
I also have another hub motor i do not know the hall wire sequence, here in this pic56894

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I woulds start with a google search for a pinout diargam of the motor to controller connection, and connect up accordingly, you may need to trial and error the 3 signal wires for the right sequence but as long as the 5v and ground are clearly identified the only thing that should get fried is your nerves when the wrong sequence is applied in testing..

blu joe

Oct 6, 2023
Hall wires:
So from other information i have figured out the phase and hall sensors colours match (brown,white,grey) ,

the thick sleaved black wire is ground,

the orange wire is +5v,

and the green wire is unused, or a thermal sensor, or speed sensor, hoping its a speed sensor as my kt controller has a wire for this

blu joe

Oct 6, 2023
How can i translate these 5 hall wires into standard colouring? Red, brown,orange,yellow and green?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Are the other ends connected ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks like one is missing a pcb board on one side with the Hall connections, the halls aren't radially fitted as on a std geared hub.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
View attachment 56944
This is this the other side, the 5 wires go into the axel, then where?
Aren't those wires for the control panel and/or pedal sensor? Your controller was in the motor, so it doesn't need any wires going through the axle to control the motor.

Here's how I see it: The motor is a direct drive sensorlesss motor with the controller inside the motor. If you want to run it with an external controller, you should use a sensorless controller, then you only need to connect the three phase wires through the axle. A speed and/or temperature sensor would be optional.

if you want to run with sensors, you need to install the sensors first, which is a little tricky, then you should use a controller with self-learning so that it will figure out the correct timing sequence.

Theres something about how to run it with an external controller here (use Google translate). I'm not sure whether the guy had success. It's quite complicated:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
The hall sensors are mounted on a pcb that has been removed, there are six of them. This video shows the circuit boards for the original components, about one and a half minutes in.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH