Hallo All. I hope you are all well and safe.

TooOldForThis

Just Joined
Aug 29, 2023
A bit about me. i'm old. but keen. I'm new to ebikes (pedelecs) and want to learn more... Particularly repair and sourcing of parts to complete /enable repairs.
I live in the UK (Oxford) and E-bikes are practically the only decent choice around this city since the introduction of LTN's. With more and more bikes on the roads, we will need more and more spares. Feel free to drop me a line with any advice, tips and suggestions and just a chat if you like.. Also if you spot any bargain price potential salavageable bikes/parts.

Thanks and have a great day! :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most EAPC's you won't get spares for as the parts are mostly OEM , for this you will need to be a dealer and deal with China suplliers direct.
Closed system bikes/locked in system bikes forget it and don't go near them, your market will be OEM type generic china bike systems.
Again likely the same with Torque asssit bikes with the torque assist bottom brackets steer clear as they are OEM and rely on controller compatibility.

With compatibilty you will find vey little will be except for std wiring on most hub motors.
Displays form one brand will not be compatible with controllers of another brand and vice a versa as thy will all have differing firmware and protocols.

The main issue will be getting hold of controllers or compatiable displays again OEM moslty, so the option is to replace said parts with easily sourced parts , this means either KT (Kuenteng ) controllers and displays or Brainwave cheap and cheerful systems.

PAS sensors , brake sensor and speed sensors are easy one can use any of them as long as the wire sequence is connected correctly.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Hello and welcome from the east end of town, gotta say at least the cowley rd is flat these days.. New to ebikes myself just having recently added a rear wheel kit to my sit up n beg cycle..

If you want to see a basic kit build and issues ive had (minor), and perhaps test ride it( leave me your first born credit cards and passport and perhaps..) Im in town 2-3 times a week atm and am generally thirsty.

There a far wiser voices in here than mine for advice if you have specific questions and problems. And they're
a friendly lot too, just don't expect to have the nicest bike.. ;)

Reactions: TooOldForThis

TooOldForThis

Just Joined
Aug 29, 2023
hi Neal. thanks for the reply and tips! Much appreciated!! :) Some of the vernacular i am not familiar with. EAPC i presume to be electrically assisted pedal cycles? (which is what is required by law .. plain motor only powered is bsically a motorbike and needs the full accompaniant of requirements to be road legal .. insurance, MOT, rider headwear, license, CBT etc etc etc etc etc.. so pedal assist is what i'm going to be mainly interested in. i'm hoping to bring the second hand market to be a little bit more affordable so as to get people using the things, particularly the folks who are having problems with public transport (social or cost) and keep their independance. there are some stubborn and some highly unable to afford these things. RE: Closed system bikes/locked in systems... can you please elaborate? is it a microsoft /apple/linux type of scenario? i really dont know the intracies well at all.. but am learning fast! Thanks again. oh. also.. what is PAS sensor? Thanks :)

TooOldForThis

Just Joined
Aug 29, 2023
Hello and welcome from the east end of town, gotta say at least the cowley rd is flat these days.. New to ebikes myself just having recently added a rear wheel kit to my sit up n beg cycle..

If you want to see a basic kit build and issues ive had (minor), and perhaps test ride it( leave me your first born credit cards and passport and perhaps..) Im in town 2-3 times a week atm and am generally thirsty.

There a far wiser voices in here than mine for advice if you have specific questions and problems. And they're
a friendly lot too, just don't expect to have the nicest bike.. ;)
Heya. i'm also OX4.! thanks for the welcome, and the reply :)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
is it a microsoft /apple/linux type of scenario? i really dont know the intracies well at all.. but am learning fast! Thanks again. oh. also.. what is PAS sensor? Thanks :)
Yes for most ebikes apart from the cheaper Chinese ones. Some used ebikes are only good for growing peas.
Pedal Assist Sensor. It tells the controller when you're pedalling. Two types: One checks that the pedals are turning; the other checks the force on the cranks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The closed /locked in systems use CANbus or similar comms , these systems use comms for connectivity during charging and discharging so battery, controller & display are linked and need dealer/brand software to diagnose and update. Fiddle with the systems and one ends up bricking/locking them to often become useless.
So most big brands Bosh, Brose, Yamaha, Steps , Giant and other niche brands, Halfrauds Suntour is another.

One suspects your market will be generic china hub drive bikes., which are a plenty. LBS or ebike shops won't touch them because one they don't sell yhem and two they have no knowledge on how to fix them. The ones who do or try and fix them seem to be cowboys who rip the public off.
For most the simple case is a £40 - £100 upgrade of the control system if the controller or display fails. Some times a motor Hall sensor may need replacing so one will need some mechanical skills (opening hubs) and soldering skills.

Battery wise most of these generic bikes will use any generic two wire battery of the correct voltage available on ebay.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The best option if you want to repair bikes is to keep the control system simple and stick to using one type of system and tbh that system is a generically freely available one made by Kuenteng aka KT , the parts are widely available from online market places and stores mostly direct from china.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Seems a bit weird to list conversion kits when the OP is wanting info on bike repairs and parts to enable such repairs.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Seems a bit weird to list conversion kits when the OP is wanting info on bike repairs and parts to enable such repairs.
Easiest way to repair broken locked proprietary system is to replace it with a new kit (assuming frame would allow that). If not, then there are plenty of batteries and spare parts on those websites for OP to browse. It is up to him to decide if something is worth buying or not.

Reactions: PC2017

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Easiest way to repair broken locked proprietary system is to replace it with a new kit (assuming frame would allow that). If not, then there are plenty of batteries and spare parts on those websites for OP to browse. It is up to him to decide if something is worth buying or not.
Yes, I was thinking that if the original broken ebike had a hub motor, just treat it as a donor bike, l guess not really possible with a mid drive

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In #1 the topic is spares to repair eapc's (to which I read generic type cheap bikes ) and not a complete kit swap for a locked in system.
Reading along the lines I think the OP is thinking more along the lines of a community project or setting up a EAPC repair service rather then buying bikes to repair, plus most locked in systems are mid drive which makes them pretty much very unsuitable for a new kit.
A locked in bike will almost certainly mean a new battery if a kit can be fitted so doesn't make much sense in the terms of a quick or easy repair.

Overall though I think there is enough info for him/her to mull over .

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
A bit about me. i'm old. but keen. I'm new to ebikes (pedelecs) and want to learn more... Particularly repair and sourcing of parts to complete /enable repairs.
I live in the UK (Oxford) and E-bikes are practically the only decent choice around this city since the introduction of LTN's. With more and more bikes on the roads, we will need more and more spares. Feel free to drop me a line with any advice, tips and suggestions and just a chat if you like.. Also if you spot any bargain price potential salavageable bikes/parts.

Thanks and have a great day! :)
You've caused a lot of confusion because you haven't given us a clue what you want. Please spell out in simple English what you're trying to achieve and what specific advice you want.