Hamerite friend or foe

Swinswin25

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2011
Leicester
I have a silver powabike with lots of scrapes I've looked at the proper way to do it a new colour but hamerite red or black would be fine, thing is has anyone been as lazy and cheap as me to use the paint and brush. The bike is about 7 years old.
Thanks for any replies Paul

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Definitely a friend .I used Hammerite Satin black to touch in parts of the frame on my 1982 Suzuki X7 Motorcycle. I used a half inch brush and it blended so well you can`t tell the difference . Keep the paint thin and apply quickly .

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Hammerite can be very useful for the purpose you are describing providing you follow this precaution:

Test it on a small, out of sight, unnoticeable area of the frame first, as I have experienced problems with hammerite reacting with old paint underneath it and the whole lot becoming a wrinkly mess. Hope this helps

hallii

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
I have used it many times, but in it's original form i.e. solvent based and found it excellent. Then they changed it to a new eco friendly formulea, it's rubbish, no better than houshold paint.

There are some things that just have to be enviromently unfriendly, and this is one of them.

Hammerite gives a "hammered" effect and "smoothrite" gives, yes you guessed, a smooth finish. Both are best applied from a spray can.

Swinswin25

Jun 1, 2011
Leicester
Thanks dint know about the new Eco one as only used the old hammered Finnish sadly my woes go from bad to worse as I now need front wheel rim replacing and back wheel replacing as both have cracks and not to sure if the throttle is working right so my cheap £100 eBay bargin is not so cheap after all. I will start new thread but any one know about removing the back wheel and replace with shop one thanks

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

My recommendation is buy another model off the same bike on eBay and a new set off battery's about £70

Then you can make one good bike and have spares to keep it going for years

Frank

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
. Then they changed it to a new eco friendly formulea, it's rubbish, no better than houshold paint.
They've done the same thing with car paint which is why bird droppings with their resin affect it so badly now and any chip starts flaking off to the bare metal underneath.

I'm all in favour of eco thingy but it needs to be fit for purpose.

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
I have used it many times, but in it's original form i.e. solvent based and found it excellent. Then they changed it to a new eco friendly formulea, it's rubbish, no better than houshold paint.

There are some things that just have to be enviromently unfriendly, and this is one of them.

H
A neighbour of mine's daughter used to work for Hammerite* and he has a load of the stuff in his garage because she could get it as part of her contract.

* The factory is only about 5 miles away from where I live.

Swinswin25

Jun 1, 2011
Leicester
going to do it hammered finish red, if not blue, just want to get the old good stuff i did a old cast iron table stand in 16 years ago and it still looks great but its grey, so willin if its old stuff and paint on not spray red or blue send me a pm and we can do a deal thanks
see ya

bike riders do it out doors

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Apparently the xylene in "old" hammerite has been replaced by acetone or similar "less nasty" solvent and I've seen a fair few net sources claiming the new stuff is better off applied with a spray.

I'm not sure if you can get "old formula" metal paint from other sources though. It would be an interesting bike to look at though in the new colour..