Hammerite my bike

Swinswin25

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2011
Leicester
Well I've got the paint it's smooth as they only do this colour in smooth Finnish. I've got lots of small gags to put parts in as the come off my powabyke and all will be cleaned and lubed b4 putting back I wil post pics when done but if any one has ant tips please pop them down for me thanks Paul

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
This old Raleigh Moulton MK3 (1973) is my town bike and I wanted it to look less desirable so I can park it up anywhere without fear of it being nicked. It has 16" wheels and is fully suspended.

Before

After

The rear and front forks have been hammerited black and the rest of the frame cleaned and laquered to protect it from futher rusting. Before hammeriting I rubbed the frame parts down with a light grade sandpaper to give the paint a key to hold onto.

I spent months rebuilding/fettling it and could probably have brought a brand new one for all the cost and effort lol

That said, I learnt a lot about bike maintenance and building in the process. Back then frame construction was pretty impressive.

Side by side with its modern day equivalent a 20" wheeled Moulton TSR2, again fully suspended with a modern belt drive and updated S/A 2 speed kickback hub"

I even tried it in an "E" configuration for a while too.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
P.S. You might want to consider getting it powder coated if you have it all stripped down.

Armourtex Ltd : Cycles

Its not a lot of money and will transform your bike :p

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Swinswin25

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2011
Leicester
Great pics, thanks for advise, the bike was cheap eBay job st I can test out ebikes. I've started paint job now I used 120 grade paper and I allso went to local DIY and got some cheap bolts to put in holes to protect thread, the only thing that won't come apart and off was the crank spindle it's seased in solid had a bike shop try it but no luck so will just pack as well with grease as can, I will have pics up as soon as it done that's pre Christmas lol all the best paul