Happy Commuter!

MCX

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 13, 2015
Ahoy one and all.
I had been frequenting this forum for a few months prior to purchasing my new wheels (and registering) and have found it to be a great resource - Many thank you's to everyone who (unknowingly!) contributed to help me make my decision.

So as a complete non cyclist, I recently found myself in a position where I could cycle to work, a total of around 5 and a half miles each way. The only issue is that the my house is at the bottom of a rather large (to me) 750ft hill and work is a the top.

This is where this forum comes in!
So after researching E bikes thouroughly, I concluded that this could indeed be a viable method of transport.
One thing was for certain-there was not a hope in hell I could (or would want to) tackle that hill everyday on a standard bike as I certainly did not fancy arriving to work in a pool of sweat/vomit/etc.

So I found myself with 2 options to navigate this route. The road way is a category 3 hill climb and was used on a stage of the tour of Britain (https://www.strava.com/segments/689005) the other essentialy just under a mile of 10% incline on rocky path followed by some off road which includes some sections of graded (red/blue) purpose built MTB trails.

Well after much deliberation I chose the lycra free path and decided on the off road option and after trailing a few bikes from the excellent crew at Bikemotion in Exeter I decided on a model: a Haibike Nduro RX26.

Wow. What a transformation this has been to my life. I actually enjoy cycling on this thing and (fingers crossed) it saves me some money (in the long run of course) and gets me fitter.
I have to say that the rocky hill would be a hell of a test for any cyclist and this thing takes it in it's stride. I am just under 14 stone and it just cruises up-leaving me with a big old smile on my face. However where it has really excelled is on the way back home...Holy caramaba! it just floats over the rocks, bumps and roots. I have even begun exploring different routes for the return journey as I have since found that the area is a bit of a local mecca for MTB users....That reminds me I must buy a full face helmet and Pads...

So If anyone finds themselves on the line about wether to take the plunge and get an Ebike- Do it!!- At a bare minimum give one a trial. It won't take long for that smile to creep up on your face...

Ride safe all.
Max

Reactions: D C and Geebee

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Welcome to the site, all I can say is you have found your dream and I am sure you wish that !!!!!!!!!!!
you found sooner.:D

Reactions: MCX

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome,
Nice bike and a short review in their too.
Most here are already converts but come to the lycra side;-)
The run to Exeter should be on your list when the weather,s good.

Reactions: MCX