Hard tail or full sus

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Not sure weather to buy a hard tail bike or full sus. I don't want to part with £2000 on a good hard tail only to regret it a few months later. I have a "normal" hard tail and full sus and I much prefer the full sus for ironing out the rough bits. I probably won't be doing any MTB red or black trails with my ebike, as I would be too wary of crashing off such an expensive bike, as I have done in the past. I will mainly be using the ebike to help with the hills, but still want to enjoy the rough stuff. Any thoughts.

D

Deleted member 4366

What about getting a £700 hard-tail, then you can go nuts and not care?

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
Not sure weather to buy a hard tail bike or full sus. I don't want to part with £2000 on a good hard tail only to regret it a few months later. I have a "normal" hard tail and full sus and I much prefer the full sus for ironing out the rough bits. I probably won't be doing any MTB red or black trails with my ebike, as I would be too wary of crashing off such an expensive bike, as I have done in the past. I will mainly be using the ebike to help with the hills, but still want to enjoy the rough stuff. Any thoughts.
40 years of biking - mainly off road and I've never had a full sus bike. I have ridden some and don't like them at all, don't seem to climb as good on steep undulating tracks and the general feeling of bouncing do nothing for me. May be good for quick downhill runs though.

I would spend my money on a reasonably specced hardtail but don't go overboard with top line stuff - it's not necessary. 160mm suspension etc. are really over the top on an ebike and are aimed at 'look at me!' type riders.

My thoughts only.

• Dislike
Reactions: Streethawk

Eckythump

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
If you like riding reds and blacks on a full squish then get a full suss ebike to ride on them.
They can take a battering just the same if not better than a carbon analogue bike and are more than capable of dealing with the trails.
Mine has taken a few tumbles without issue....

Reactions: Kristoffer Hansen

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
As has mine..... full sus all the way for me and my Haibike is more than capable of dealing with some of the red/black trails.
I also pump up my tyres lock out the suspension front and rear and road ride sometimes, you don't always need a road bike.....

Reactions: Kristoffer Hansen

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
FS far more capable and comfortable at speed. Go for 140mm trail or better. As for any FS maintenance is higher and more expensive, but pleasure factor is higher than HT. The FS definitely comes into its own at higher climb speeds.

Bosch and Yamaha displays are vunerable in crash and Bosch small chainring is pain especially in mud. Brose or Shimano are well protected, with eMTB mag reviews rating Shimano better all round drive.
Budget on around £4000 for well spec bike, try for SRAM EX1 drive will give more range and lower maintenance cost in long run. I have XT 11spd and CX drive eats even ebike spec chains.

A good HT alternative is Merida Big Trail. Capable of handling anything a 140 FS can except big jumps.

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
If you like riding reds and blacks on a full squish then get a full suss ebike to ride on them.
They can take a battering just the same if not better than a carbon analogue bike and are more than capable of dealing with the trails.
Mine has taken a few tumbles without issue....
The OP stated he won't be riding red and blacks.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
If the roads are as bad as they are here then he'd need a FS ;). Maybe a hybrid then ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
Be very aware before spending a lot of hard earned money on a top spec full sus bike it will not automatically turn you into a good rider. Most top competitive riders use hardtails, unless in downhill events where full sus does help, but for climbing and versatility a top rider on a hardtail will win every time.

A full suspension may give you comfort but that's about all.

When I used to enter local races it amused us that riders that turned up with top spec bikes, huge suspension travel etc. were usually in the last few to finish.

Last edited:

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

My new EBike will be one of three I own. And the missus will kill me if I spend £4000 on another bike, although she has 3 horses !!

I have the hard tail for general cycling and a bit off road, the full sus I use when doing the rough stuff, or going to MTB centres and know I am going to need the suspension travel or expecting abuse or falls, I really like it.

I was just looking for a good Ebike as now I am in my late 50’s I find the hills are my problem especially when trying to keep up with the younger guys at work. The Ebike will be used for off road stuff and cycling on mostly tracks and forest roads, I have a few places I really want to explore but after 20 or 25 miles of uphill climbing you don’t feel like you want to head any further into the forests, but with an Ebike I will have more energy to go that bit further, hopefully.

Just as an aside question, how do these bikes feel when the battery is flat and you no longer have assist, being heavier are they a pig to cycle home with no battery.

Thanks again, I appreciate all opinions.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just as an aside question, how do these bikes feel when the battery is flat and you no longer have assist, being heavier are they a pig to cycle home with no battery.
On the flat, you'll forget about the extra weight after 10 minutes. On hills, it's a different matter.

Eckythump

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
40 years of biking - mainly off road and I've never had a full sus bike. I have ridden some and don't like them at all, don't seem to climb as good on steep undulating tracks and the general feeling of bouncing do nothing for me. May be good for quick downhill runs though.

I would spend my money on a reasonably specced hardtail but don't go overboard with top line stuff - it's not necessary. 160mm suspension etc. are really over the top on an ebike and are aimed at 'look at me!' type riders.

My thoughts only.
The OP said he would not use his ebike on red & blacks on the grounds he would be worried about crashing an expensive e bike on themeven though he enjoys riding that kind of trail, he also said he was concerned he would regret not buying a full suspension bike later on.
My reply was based on he should buy a bike to suit the trails he enjoys riding and does the most to avoid the later inevitable regret.

Eckythump

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
Be very aware before spending a lot of hard earned money on a top spec full sus bike it will not automatically turn you into a good rider. Most top competitive riders use hardtails, unless in downhill events where full sus does help, but for climbing and versatility a top rider on a hardtail will win every time.

A full suspension may give you comfort but that's about all.

When I used to enter local races it amused us that riders that turned up with top spec bikes, huge suspension travel etc. were usually in the last few to finish.
As far as ebikes are concerned, on technical climbs a full suspension bikes are much more capable as traction can be maintained where a hardtail bounces & looses grip. In short, you will ride where the hard tail XC boys push or carry.

Reactions: argoose

Eckythump

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
That leads to the inevitable question of why you chose you FS bike over your hardtail for your trip up the Alps if a hardtail is so much better for climbing.
The photos you have posted so far have trails that look reasonably smooth and well suited to a hardtail?

And what does the best of the best in the XC world ride (Nino Schurter)? Oh yes, a FS Scott Spark.....

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That leads to the inevitable question of why you chose you FS bike over your hardtail for your trip up the Alps if a hardtail is so much better for climbing.
The photos you have posted so far have trails that look reasonably smooth and well suited to a hardtail?

And what does the best of the best in the XC world ride (Nino Schurter)? Oh yes, a FS Scott Spark.....
Not that it is any of your business, but the reason that I took the FS eMTB to the Alps, is because I am taking delivery of a new hardtail at some stage over the next week. Had the new bike of been here, I would have taken that instead!

Why are you comparing the average eMTB rider with Nino Schurter? :rolleyes: So tell me then, exactly how many years has Nino been riding an FS bike in XC? Also for your information, like other world class riders both male and female, he selects and rides between the two designs, and locks the suspension out on the climbs. Oh,and Nino also isn't adverse to getting off and running with the bike when the occasion demands it, so what was your point again?

As you say, smooth conditions ideally suited for a hardtail, that would cause zero problems.

To the Op.

Plus points of hardtail ownership.

• Ideally suited for the 8 months of the year, when conditions are wet and muddy.
  • Easier and quicker to clean and maintain.
  • With no rear suspension, there is zero bushes/bearing to wear out, with no annual rebuild.
  • In the case of one brand, no bolts that work loose and have to be replaced.
  • No rear shock to have rebuilt every X amount of hours.
  • Cheaper to maintain given the above points.
  • They weigh less, and this point is certainly valid when a climb becomes too steep or wet to ride up, or you have to lift the bike over a gate etc.
  • There is zero squat from the rear end, something that even locking the suspension on an FS bike doesn't give.
  • The zero squat allows for faster sprinting up smooth steep inclines, and with total efficiency.
  • You also know exactly what the rear wheel is doing, and going to do. A point that is invaluable for technical climbs.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant ride down that on a ht ur ass will be on fire for weeks :D

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

Related Articles

Advertisers