Has anybody tried the S06P integrated controller?

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
The S06P integrated controller:

http://www.bmsbattery.com/controller/578-36v-s06p-integrated-controller-for-new-bottle-case.html

seems interesting, due to dimensions (BMSbattery has told me it has a diameter of approx. 8cm).

The idea would be to buy it independently from the bottle battery which is supposed to be fit with (BMSbattery support has told me the controller can be bought independently):

http://www.bmsbattery.com/aluminium-alloy/620-bottlle-battery-case-for-cylindrical-cell.html

and to try to do the following:

Buy a cheap decathlon water bottle such as the following:

http://www.decathlon.es/bidon-15l-aluminio-id_8300664.html

1.5l, aluminium, not isothermal, with 8cm of diameter and 31cm length. Cut the base. Put three levels of 18650 batteries (e.g. a 3-4-3 distribution; I know who can sell me these cells), for 30 cells in total for a 10s3p configuration. Height is 19.5cm, so probably it fits. Also in diameter it should fit.

The problem is the controller. A standard, box-shaped controller would probably not fit. But the controller quoted above could be the substitution of the bottom we have cut before, once the cells are put inside the bottle.

Of course, this sounds great, but in practice is not obvious if it could be done.

I believe this is the same controller as the one included in:

http://www.bmsbattery.com/36v/571-bottle-ebike-battery.html

So, could anybody with this battery tell me how the controller is anchored / screwed to the bottle? Is it conceivable to use this controller as the bottom of the decathlon bottle linked above? (as said, diameters fit, but it is not clear if screwing would be possible, or possibly better gluing).

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi Arbol,

A though occurs - whilst on heigt you are fine. 3 x 18650 cell packs laid end to end is 19.5cm in theory but in practice it will be at least another cm or 2 but the time you've finished putting weld/solders and insulating layer bewteen the cell packs.. I'd factor that in in at least

On width it is looking very tight indeed. 1.8cm (cell width) x 4 = 7.2cm

as you've got 8cm to play with it seems on on surface but it is assuming absolutley perfect packing of the cells together with no space whatseoever and also that the cells really are 1.8cm exactly. Sometimes just the wrappers seem to add a few more mm. Not on each cell of course but on the pack overall

Finally that 8cm is likley to be the external diameter rather than the internal of the bottle. Ok the difference wont be epic but i think you are probrably dealing with very tiny margins of error on the width - a few mm extra battery width and few less mm bottle diameter and it may well not fit

just a thought anyway

Reactions: Arbol

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I believe this is the same controller as the one included in:

http://www.bmsbattery.com/36v/571-bottle-ebike-battery.html

So, could anybody with this battery tell me how the controller is anchored / screwed to the bottle? Is it conceivable to use this controller as the bottom of the decathlon bottle linked above? (as said, diameters fit, but it is not clear if screwing would be possible, or possibly better gluing).
The flat, round base contains the charging port, the output port, switch and fuse.
If you order with controller, the base is swapped for one with integrated controller.
The middle silver section contains the cells. The black domed top contains the BMS and capacity indicator. Everthing inside is glued with white silicon.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Hi Arbol,

A though occurs - whilst on heigt you are fine. 3 x 18650 cell packs laid end to end is 19.5cm in theory but in practice it will be at least another cm or 2 but the time you've finished putting weld/solders and insulating layer bewteen the cell packs.. I'd factor that in in at least

On width it is looking very tight indeed. 1.8cm (cell width) x 4 = 7.2cm

as you've got 8cm to play with it seems on on surface but it is assuming absolutley perfect packing of the cells together with no space whatseoever and also that the cells really are 1.8cm exactly. Sometimes just the wrappers seem to add a few more mm. Not on each cell of course but on the pack overall

Finally that 8cm is likley to be the external diameter rather than the internal of the bottle. Ok the difference wont be epic but i think you are probrably dealing with very tiny margins of error on the width - a few mm extra battery width and few less mm bottle diameter and it may well not fit

just a thought anyway
I am concerned more about width than height. I agree in theory everything fits, but in practice, I am not so sure. I will buy one of these cages, I will open it and I will make real measurements, especially in width.

In theory, this solution is the best I have been able to come up with, in order to fit batteries and controller inside a stealthy and secure cage. I will try to do my best.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
The flat, round base contains the charging port, the output port, switch and fuse.
If you order with controller, the base is swapped for one with integrated controller.
The middle silver section contains the cells. The black domed top contains the BMS and capacity indicator. Everthing inside is glued with white silicon.
How is anchored the base with the middle silver section? Is it screwed? Especially, I am interested in knowing if you believe the base could be anchored / screwed / glued to a different bottle (with 8cm diameter) than the middle silver section?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
base to silver section: 3 x M3 bolts, domed top to silver sections: 3 x M3 bolts.
The black base and black top are easy to scavenge and re-use, in fact, shanshan sell the empty casings to the trade, if you can buy one (trade price in China with fittings around $20), you only have to throw away the silver section and replace with yours but I can't see much of a point doing so, because the bottle mounting bracket only fits the bottle like it is made.
PS: use 3D printing to make a cool U shape bottle that wraps around the down tube and re-use the mounting bracket and lock?

Last edited: