Has anyone ever removed a DIY Conversion Kit?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I know it seems to be an odd thing to ask as I've not even fitted the kit yet, it's ordered but yet to arrive.
I believe I will have to file the front fork drop outs to fit the slightly wider axle and I was wondering if anyone has experience of removing the motor wheel and replacing the original wheel again, in fact, can this be done or is the fork then no longer reusable again with the original wheel and axle.
The reason I ask is that I may well want to remove the kit in the future and return the bike to standard, then fit the kit to another bike and buy an additional kit for a different bike.
Dave.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
In that case don't file the forks to fit the axle, file the axle to fit the forks.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Obvious, really - But I don't think I've seen that suggested before..
That's because it takes a lot longer to file a hardened steel axle rather than soft alloy forks (or cro-mo steel forks). You don't have to file the whole length of the axle though - just a small slot where the forks will sit - and it's only about .8mm off. An hours filing should do the trick.

And on super high power motors you don't want to file anything off an axle - but with the low power set ups we use in the UK (inc Bafang BPM's) it's not a concern.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Obvious, really - But I don't think I've seen that suggested before..
I'd love to think I could do that as it would be so much easier but I should think it would void the warranty along with compromising the strength of the axle.
Dave.

D

Deleted member 4366

I swap kits and forks round regularly. It's no problem to put a normal wheel in afterwards whether you file or not. You could also fit a rear motor, where the same applies.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I swap kits and forks round regularly. It's no problem to put a normal wheel in afterwards whether you file or not. You could also fit a rear motor, where the same applies.
Thanks for that, it's just the answer I was hoping for and makes things much easier.
Dave.