has anyone switched to a road bike after using the elecs?

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
For me powered and non powered co-exist quite happily together.

My non-powered cargo bike gets used almost daily for short shopping trips and my PCS is used for leisure rides. I'd be nervous leaving my PCS in my town centre in case it got pinched.

Some of the rides I do require a journey of about 8 miles to get to the start point and one of my favourites has a 200m high climb to the hills overlooking my town. Before I got my pedelec I'd more often than not put the bike in the car to get there. Now it's easy to just cycle there.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Similar to most concerned about the distance or speed which I could first complete my commute to work. HapPy I now complete the commute in the same time I could drive it. Except each day I save four pound in petrol.

Now looking at a simple fixed wheel bike to use on small trips around the city as the ebike is great for commutes but to big and heavy for short trips with no real hills in the city

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I have had my Tonaro Enduro for a little over a week now and use it mainly for my 43km round trip to work. Before that I used my TREK Lexa SL racing bike.

With the TREK I used to make the one way trip in about 55 minutes but it was a hard slog at 5am in the morning and with a couple of nasty hills thrown in for good measure.

With the Enduro I make it in about 45 minutes but with a fraction of the effort. It is not all about speed. The other plus factor is that I can now vary my routes to work and while it has been sunny this week I have even extended my rides home.

The Enduro is not getting me any fitter but I do ride ride it to work every day, where as with the TREK I would leave it at home a couple of days in the week.

Having an electric assist bike is just making my commute a lot more pleasurable.

I will still continue to ride my TREK and of course it will be harder than the Enduro but it is a totally different form of cycling.

Steve

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
I have to say I've been considering getting a non elec bike to use, between walking everyday and using Wilma (with and without the power on) more as I've sold my car, I feel a whole lot fitter, we have a couple of very steep banks very close to home which I have avoided when walking as I'm usually feeling light headed and very breathless by the time I crawl to the top, however I did a test the other day and though it was a struggle I made it without a lot of lasting effect which pleased me immensley. I do switch the assist off on Wilma and pootle along I was just thinking a lighter non powered bike might be handy when it's tipping it down (I worry Wilma will conk out in a deluge).

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
This is quite interesting. I have been testing my no e-bike Trek 6000. I have changed the tyre's from MTB to Schwalbe Cityjet's and put Shimano spd's on. I have just come in from a short test up my local very steep and very long hill. I was down to 3.7 - 4.1 mph on the very steep sections but did make it to the top. The locking forks made a difference. On flat I am up to 17.5 - 20mph with no great effort. However to get up the hills I do work up a sweat. I am waiting to try a Daahub kit on it, after Eddio's experience. I think the main difference will be the work rate needed on the hills. I think it will turn the use of the bike as a pleasure rather than total effort. In the future if my fitness dramatically improves I may look for a second 'road bike' for fun and keep the E-bike for commuting to golf.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I don't think i could go back to 'normal' cycling again, The thought of standing on the pedals slogging up a long drawn out hill......errr, no thanks. I'm having too much fun with electricity.