Have been stolen... again!!!

C

Cyclezee

I saw a report on TV prior to the Olympics about Romanian pick pocket gangs coming over to London from Barcelona because the foreign tourists would be rich harvest for them.

Incidentally, my wife had her handbag stolen in Barcelona a few years back,............it still didn't put her off anything faintly Gaudi-esque[FONT=arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]

boyced

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2012
A, A
if you have an iphone highly recommend installing find my iphone and then also enabling restriction so that gps cannot be turned on.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The chain looks a good idea, but anything that makes it difficult for a mugger to make a quick steal is likely to get you a thumping, or worse: If they want it, they are going to take it, one way or the other.

Another thought - is the chain long enough to reach youre ear? Could be a case of Cleckheaton Cramp every time you answer your phone :p

(For those of the younger persuasion, Cleckheaton Cramp is caused when you accidentally get the bottom button of your No dad (waistcoat - Jim Davidson) fastened to the top buttonhole of your fly.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'm quite careful but I believe that in London, there is load of opportunity for thieves. Especially in the center. I have many friends that have been robbered......
You left two laying around and dropped the third, I wouldn't call that careful. I also wonder if you made it a bit easy for the pick pocket.
It takes a while to adjust to London, I had a few things pinched from my bike when I first started riding in.

thunderblue

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2009
Manchester
I am on Giffgaff - no contract and it is the cheapest way of using a mobile But you need a phone that will work with O2 network. Morrisons sell a very basic Samsung phone, brand new and unlocked for £15. It wouldn't attract many thieves either. I can send you a giffgaff sim preloaded with £5 credit if you are interested - just pm me your address.

Elaine

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm trying to be careful but there are always time where I just leave it for few minutes out of my sight... and phone get automatically stolen. It's like there are thieves everywhere in london...

Elaine, thanks for your proposition but I think I'm going to get the samsung S3 and lock it to my belt with a chain lol. Would be safer and no chance to loose it ;)

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
As we're SO far off topic, here's another one....

My ancient Nokia 6210 (work) has just been pensioned off (I've got a nice new Nokia 6310i - brand new unused straight out of the box).

The old one had a 'feature' no modern phone has - when you leave it on the train it comes back - three times in the ten years I've used it.

The Company phone number was clearly marked on the back - and no-one wants a 'brick'. I expect the 6310i will have a similar 'feature'. So far it's untested.

In case you haven't realized - the 6310i is of similar construction and was new in 2002....

Rog.

C

Cyclezee

I would probably still be using my old 6310i today instead of keeping it in a drawer as a backup, there is even a cradle in the armrest of my car for it so I can use it hands free and charge it at the same time. I used to be with Giffgaff too.

The one niggle I had with the 6310i was that the keypad doesn't lock automatically like even the cheapest Nokia

The problem is that now I 'need' mobile access to email, satnav and all the other features of a smartphone, so I have become dependant on it, how can I escape?

I guess with a smartphone it is a case of what you never had you never miss, but I have got it and would miss it:(

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I guess with a smartphone it is a case of what you never had you never miss, but I have got it and would miss it:(
You and me both John :D

Lynda :)

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
no way for me to go back to the old phone. Smartphone are so convenient... or maybe I'm too much of a geek lol

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
no way for me to go back to the old phone. Smartphone are so convenient... or maybe I'm too much of a geek lol
I agree - I've got so used to a smartphone now it would be like losing a computer. It's just so damned useful.

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
I agree - I've got so used to a smartphone now it would be like losing a computer. It's just so damned useful.
I'm rocking a junk phone and an ipad for work at the moment. My phone contract ends next month so I've got to decide what I want to do. To smartphone or not to smartphone, that is the question.

I'm tempted to get an iphone which will sync with desktop and ipad, and I'll still only need to carry one charger with me.

It seems like everyone is recommending android os but two things are stopping me. I have never had a problem with the ipad. That is such a big deal for me (being a killer of laptops). The second reason being the wife is happy with her iphone and it will keep life more simple if we have the same phone for accessories, chargers etc.

I still want a Galaxy s3 though to see what all the fuss is about though.

Favourite pda? Psion series 5, the keyboard was genius. I could touchtype on that easily. My ipad doesn't even have integrated diary which has access to my contacts. I remember 10 years on a palm pilot I could search for a contact and see every appointment I'd had with them, every phone call i scheduled. I have yet to figure out a way of doing that on the ipad/iphone. I carry around a full size bluetooth keyboard now as well as I find long typing on anything less a real pain. I think combined the tablet, cover and keyboard weighs close to if not more than a macbook air.

Now I'm cycling more, it just makes it so much easier if my Brompton S bag is lighter. Like the waistline, it's a constant struggle to keep down the weight of my every day carry.

James

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'm rocking a junk phone and an ipad for work at the moment. My phone contract ends next month so I've got to decide what I want to do. To smartphone or not to smartphone, that is the question.

I'm tempted to get an iphone which will sync with desktop and ipad, and I'll still only need to carry one charger with me.

It seems like everyone is recommending android os but two things are stopping me. I have never had a problem with the ipad. That is such a big deal for me (being a killer of laptops). The second reason being the wife is happy with her iphone and it will keep life more simple if we have the same phone for accessories, chargers etc.

I still want a Galaxy s3 though to see what all the fuss is about though.

Favourite pda? Psion series 5, the keyboard was genius. I could touchtype on that easily. My ipad doesn't even have integrated diary which has access to my contacts. I remember 10 years on a palm pilot I could search for a contact and see every appointment I'd had with them, every phone call i scheduled. I have yet to figure out a way of doing that on the ipad/iphone. I carry around a full size bluetooth keyboard now as well as I find long typing on anything less a real pain. I think combined the tablet, cover and keyboard weighs close to if not more than a macbook air.

Now I'm cycling more, it just makes it so much easier if my Brompton S bag is lighter. Like the waistline, it's a constant struggle to keep down the weight of my every day carry.

James
The charger is one of the complaints I've heard about the iPhone5 (or 4 maybe) as it's changed and is proprietary. You might want to check before buying if carrying one charger is important to you.
Almost all of my gadgets charge from the same standard Micro USB adapter no matter what manufacturer they are from, Apple stuff doesn't despite them instrumental in creating that standard so that's another reason people tend to be all or nothing with Apple products.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
I would probably still be using my old 6310i today instead of keeping it in a drawer as a backup, there is even a cradle in the armrest of my car for it so I can use it hands free and charge it at the same time.
Stick it on ebay they go for good money. The last of the real phones that is it just a phone no more no less. Popular for back packers etc as can charge and leave in bag switched on and in a months time still make a five hour call