Have bike, where to cycle?

Zetto

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 17, 2017
Uk
Thanks for previous advice, after renting e-bikes in France last year we are now the happy new owners of a pair of folding Byocycle bikes, a Boxer 24" for OH and a Chameleon LS 20" for me. I'd really like some insider help on finding traffic free/ cycle path/ old railway type of rides. We have done a tiny bit of the Thames Path in SE London, and I have found the website for the Cuckoo Trail. We can get free and reduced rate train travel all over the country so open to all suggestions. Thanks for any help.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
From Three Bridges ( Crawley ), Victoria to Brighton line.
From there about 1 mile ride to the start proper of the Worth way which is 90 - 95% off road, with a couple of road transit sections. Approx 20 miles to nr Groombridge heading East. Though in general the ride experience is as dull as dish water.

From Guildford as above 90 -95% off road on the Downs Link right in to Shoreham ( 38 - 42 odd miles ) and is a much better cycle route. It follows the Wey with exsisting old St at Bramley, South of Cranleigh you pass Baynards Station now a lovely restored private residence. The only other St partly intact is at West Grinstead with platforms, signals intact and a carriage used a a visitors center.
An all day ride on a nice sunny day, take a picnic or sandawich's eyc with you.

The South Downs Way offers good scenery and views on a nice day. Lewes to Devil's Dyke is reasonable ride without to many hard ascents for a casual ride.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'd really like some insider help on finding traffic free/ cycle path/ old railway type of rides... We can get free and reduced rate train travel all over the country so open to all suggestions.
I find this is invaluable for identifying old railway routes that are now converted to cycle paths all over the country:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Atlas-Smith-Keith-Turner/dp/0711036950/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522615142&sr=8-3&keywords=railway+atlas+then+and+now

Also, most County Council websites now often list with quite good route detail, maps, and photos all official cycle paths (of all descriptions) within their own county boarders.

Oh, and of course, the Sustrans website: https://www.sustrans.org.uk/

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Although I'm sure nowhere near as good as your book, here is a PDF map of disused railway lines that might be of interest:
http://www.systemed.net/carto/new_adlestrop.html
That's a nice map - a true labour of love it seems. The Atlas though highlights which of those old/dismantled railway routes has now been converted into proper cycle tracks, and where old stations still extant on those routes have been renovated and/or converted into B&B's, cycle hire, and/or cafes en-route (which is useful). Here's the old Station at Reepham alongside the old track now a cycleway, heading North out of Norwich: It does cycle hire, has a full camp site, a coffee shop, toilets, and does a mean Sunday Lunch too in it's licensed function room (beer on tap)...

Edit: Forgot to add the picture!

Reepham Station.jpg

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
From Three Bridges ( Crawley ), Victoria to Brighton line.
From there about 1 mile ride to the start proper of the Worth way which is 90 - 95% off road, with a couple of road transit sections. Approx 20 miles to nr Groombridge heading East. Though in general the ride experience is as dull as dish water.

From Guildford as above 90 -95% off road on the Downs Link right in to Shoreham ( 38 - 42 odd miles ) and is a much better cycle route. It follows the Wey with exsisting old St at Bramley, South of Cranleigh you pass Baynards Station now a lovely restored private residence. The only other St partly intact is at West Grinstead with platforms, signals intact and a carriage used a a visitors center.
An all day ride on a nice sunny day, take a picnic or sandawich's eyc with you.

The South Downs Way offers good scenery and views on a nice day. Lewes to Devil's Dyke is reasonable ride without to many hard ascents for a casual ride.
The South Downs Way route from Guildford to Shoreham is magnificent, we caught the train up from Dorset to Guildford last summer, rode that route down to the airport at Shoreham (for afternoon tea, beautiful building), and caught the train back home. Long day (we were on non powered hybrid bikes), but a fantastic ride, stunning scenery, one of my all time favorite rides, highly recommended

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Thanks for previous advice, after renting e-bikes in France last year we are now the happy new owners of a pair of folding Byocycle bikes, a Boxer 24" for OH and a Chameleon LS 20" for me. I'd really like some insider help on finding traffic free/ cycle path/ old railway type of rides. We have done a tiny bit of the Thames Path in SE London, and I have found the website for the Cuckoo Trail. We can get free and reduced rate train travel all over the country so open to all suggestions. Thanks for any help.
Oh, try the Kennet and Avon canal route, you can get from the Thames cycle route west to Reading, have a stop over there (or catch the train to Reading from London ) and perhaps another in Newbury. Have a night in Bath and then train back. Bit muddy in parts at this time of the year (we did it the opposite direction in Sept last year), but fine in the summer for the whole route I would imagine. Stunning scenery, and great to see all of the canal boats, a real trip down yesteryear

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/sites/default/files/images/files/migrated-pdfs/KAcycleguide.pdf

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
have a go at that, just make sure you have a bell to get the humans out the way so you dont land on them ;)

Zetto

Sep 17, 2017
Uk
Thanks so much everyone.

Nealh, thanks for making me giggle about the ride experience being as dull as dishwater ;-) I kinda hope for that in these early days, no scraped knees or even worse scraped mint bike ;-)

Cyclebuddy, thank you for the link to sustrans, what a nice website! And I love the 'traffic free routes' section. My husband would love that Railway Atlas, I will see if I can find one at the library. Reepham looks lovely, that's exactly what I'm looking for, danger free cycling with tea and a cake along the way ;-)

Danielrlee, thanks for that brilliant map! I have saved the link, indeed a labour of love, and very handy too to see for example the proper train station needed to get to a historic line for an outing.

Egroover, yes the South Downs Way is definitely on our list and we love airports too so would love to go to Shoreham for tea. The Kennet and Avon Canal Route would make a lovely weekend trip.

zetto

Zetto

Sep 17, 2017
Uk
Soundwave! That should come with a warning haha.Good to see what I should be aiming for ;-) Right now I panic a bit if I see a kerb and always dismount to cross a road ;-) My finger is always hovering near the bell, my OH knows if I ding twice it's an emergency ;-) Seriously, that was a very enjoyable watch, altho I'm a bit queasy now!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer