Having a faster e-bike in the UK

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the insurance will mainly depend on how the type approval testers view the KMX and the classification they want to put on that. If they classed it as a three wheeler without reverse as I suggested they might, the insurance should not be a big problem since there's a class to drop it into and the third party risks it presents would be very low.

For the KMX though, it's very much more new territory than it would be for an e-bike, since the latter conforms to many well understood precedents like the cyclemotors and autocycles. They are basically just electric versions of those.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Cedric Lynch and Agni Motors - The Legend (w/Video) | Electric Vehicle News

This vehicle is a (no) joke! However, it's got a top speed of 60, range of 150 at 50mph. It's all electric and it's road legal. That top speed and the Agni motor mean it's probably licensed as a full motorcycle, not a moped or learner.

Now. Let's take a properly fast recumbent with a full or substantial fairing. And then add 1000w or so of electric motor and a couple of 15AHr Li-Poly batteries. We should have no trouble hitting 45-50mph and falling legally somewhere in the Learner Motorcycle range. I figure we'll have to use a chain drive motor to get the gearing right as hub motors aren't going to give us the speed. eg Electric bicycle DIY kits kit NuVinci Electric bicycle DIY kits kit NuVinci Electric bicycle DIY kits kit NuVinci Electric bicycle DIY kits kit NuVinci Electric bicycle DIY kits kit NuVinci Electric bicycle DIY kits kit NuVinci Electric bicycle DIY k With a recumbent, the chain line is going to make a dual freewheel motor fairly easy to link to a derailleur rear. Or you run a rear hub with a sprocket cassette on both sides. The batteries can be slung underneath the 'bent keeping the weight really low.

I'd love to have a go at something like this. It's not really cheap though any more is it? :( Experimental E-Assist stuff is expensive and so are 'bents. Anyone know of a second hand Bacchetta?

BTW. Westminster Council's evil motorcycle parking charge is waived for registered electric motorcycles.