HEAD PROTECTION

Rod Fuller

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
In one of the messages it seems that to wear or not to wear is debatable. The typical head protection worn by some cyclist, I query that they are of any use compared with a motorcylist bone dome. I do not like the idea of wearing head protection, but if do, I need to be re -assured that my expensve purchase does what it is intended to do.

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need an expensive purchase. Get yourself a BMX or snowboarding helmet for better protection.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You don't need an expensive purchase. Get yourself a BMX or snowboarding helmet for better protection.
Rod I agree buy one and become a dude.

Reactions: Deleted member 4366

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Hit my head on a hanging basket this week, and some branches, and two months earlier on a low-hanging building. The difference was this week I was wearing a helmet and so didn't get a month's concussion and stitches! Result [emoji5]

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
you don't need to spend a lot on a lid for it to save your bonce.
The boy at work (23 years old) ihas started training for a Triathlon and brought a £25 lid with his new £300 bike.
Anywho part of his circuit takes him through Salcey Forest along a straight open road, it was along here this Wednesday that the only motorist on the road deliberately passed at high speed so close that his wing mirror knocked the boy off his bike.:mad:
Arm and leg road rash along with a flat spot on his lid with bits of grit imbedded in it, that could have been his head :(

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
"When I read stories like that I want front and rear cameras."
You want a camera, I want a gun.:mad:

Worst thing was, he heard the car but assumed it would pass wide as there was no other sole on the road.
I also like to ride quiet lanes, when I here a car I'll check its approach in my mirror and deliberately look over my sholder so the driver knows that I know he's there. It wouldn't stop determined attack but I won't get caught by surprise.

C

Cyclezee

OMG, here we go again.
I along with D8veh are in favour of helmets.
The boy at work (23 years old) ihas started training for a Triathlon and brought a £25 lid with his new £300 bike.
Anywho part of his circuit takes him through Salcey Forest along a straight open road, it was along here this Wednesday that the only motorist on the road deliberately passed at high speed so close that his wing mirror knocked the boy off his bike.:mad:
Arm and leg road rash along with a flat spot on his lid with bits of grit imbedded in it, that could have been his head :(
Salcey Forest is a bit of a Mecca for cyclists and I have frequented it my self on occasion, but the long straights do seem to also attract car drivers that think they own the road and have no consideration for other car users.

I'm with D8veh when it comes to helmets, but the snowboard variety is not great in hot weather like we have been having recently.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
My helmet is a total fucktard job,it's like a normal racing helmet but three times the size,and in a stupid white and red,God bless it does the trick though.

D

Deleted member 4366

Whatever type you get, make sure the wasps can't get in. The thought of a wap buzzing on your head while negotiating a busy junction makes my spine shiver. When I had a normal cycle helmet, I had wasps in twice.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
They could get into your shorts just as easily. I wear lycra padded shorts under a pair of rugby shorts so I’ve got the happy tackle protected anyway.

Reactions: baldylox

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Whatever type you get, make sure the wasps can't get in. The thought of a wap buzzing on your head while negotiating a busy junction makes my spine shiver. When I had a normal cycle helmet, I had wasps in twice.
The only time I ever 'dropped' my (motor)bike was when I got a wasp inside my (full face) helmet. It must have flown in under my chin and was buzzing around in front of my eyes trapped beneath the visor. I panicked and couldn't get my helmet off fast enough, fortunately there was no one around to see me being a complete idiot so pride intact the only real damage was some superficial (though not inexpensive) done to my Tenere.[emoji21]
Don't like wasps so I usually wear a thin liner cap under my helmet ( also so I don't get tan marks through the vents).

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I've just pulled the debris out from between the outer shell and the foam liner, and what I hadn't spotted, was the outer shell now has quite a crease in it from where I must have hit a stone. Time for a new helmet.
The sixsixone, has been a very good helmet in many respects, and certainly based upon performance last night, but it has been an annoyingly noisy helmet as well. I'm currently leaning towards replacing it with a MET Parabellum Helmet. edit.. Met Parabellum now ordered up. :)

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton

Quick update!
A woman has come forward to the police saying " I think I may have hit something last Wednesday"
The police will be prosecuting for failing to report an accident within 24hrs and leaving the scene, and that's just for starters ;)

Reactions: EddiePJ
C

Cyclezee

I've always worn one, and this evening proved the point of wearing one.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-people-are-using-there-e-bike-off-road.15780/page-34#post-268724

I was also wearing a new set of safety glasses, which were scrapped to hell. That could have been my eyes/face.

The impact of the crash, separated the shell from the foam.

Hi Eddie,

On the positive side, far better to have a busted helmet than a busted head.

Helmets and glasses can be replaced, heads are not so easy.

Reactions: EddiePJ