Heads Up to Stolen Bike

C

Cyclezee

Response to questions from eBay seller.
"Hi this bike was left outside are work shop we reported it to the police who told us to keep it for a month to see if it was claimed if not it is ares to keep this was around 5 month ago I can tell you what police station we reported it to if that helps to give you pease of mind"

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We are of the same mind John, I got the same answer back. I also asked the impertinet Q about the serial no, he said he will get back to me. Very much sounds like the stolen KTM.
P.S no intention to bid just curious, police just a waste of space.

C

Cyclezee

We are of the same mind John, I got the same answer back. I also asked the impertinet Q about the serial no, he said he will get back to me. Very much sounds like the stolen KTM.
P.S no intention to bid just curious, police just a waste of space.
Hi Neal,
My instinct tells me the seller may well be genuine, the problem is who is the legal owner since the police seem to have washed their hands of the issue?

I also have no intention of bidding and would have liked to see the bike returned to it's "rightful" owner....if he still wants it.

I guess that is now unlikely to happen and imagine highlighting it here will get more people interested in buying.

Reactions: lessped

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Agree John sounds genuine location is East Sussex, if I were SRS I would try it on especially if recipts and serial are kept a decent type of person may well let him have it !! Or guess if any member wishes to bid contact SRS see if battery and charger are available for sale a bit cheeky, however if SRS does not want to try and cliam it back at least he can recoupe some funds for his inconveineance

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
My understanding is that you can never become the owner of stolen property and it will always belong to its rightful owner.
Just tell the Police the location of the suspected property. They have authority under the case R v Chic Fashions to 'arrest' any property they reasonably suspect to be stolen.

Reactions: Cyclezee
C

Cyclezee

Agree John sounds genuine location is East Sussex, if I were SRS I would try it on especially if recipts and serial are kept a decent type of person may well let him have it !! Or guess if any member wishes to bid contact SRS see if battery and charger are available for sale a bit cheeky, however if SRS does not want to try and cliam it back at least he can recoupe some funds for his inconveineance
I agree Neal but hopefully SRS will see this or someone could contact him or the local police to get there 'spin' on it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The bike is worthless is at is, but doesn't appear to have been butchered.

SRS has the battery, keys and HMI display.

If he could get it back, he could sell it as a decent, legit bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
"P.S no intention to bid just curious, police just a waste of space."

May have to eat my words here as things may be happening. SRS will update the forum with the outcome in due course, lets hope he gets his KTM back.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
"P.S no intention to bid just curious, police just a waste of space."

May have to eat my words here as things may be happening. SRS will update the forum with the outcome in due course, lets hope he gets his KTM back.
Cripes, how exciting.

I feel like I'm living an Enid Blyton Famous Five story.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Actually I think the legal owner would be the insurance company who paid out for it.
Perhaps someone should tell them.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I had my wife`s brand new push bike stolen, back in the 1970s. I later saw someone riding it in town, and called the police. They told me that this guy had probably bought it from the thief, and that he had a better right to it than I did!

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I've been keeping a little quite over this since the original Jonathans find as I have been busy trying to find its location.

I knew from the photos immediately that this was the KTM stolen from me.

I reported the finding to the Police and was told to make an appointment for the following day and talk to a detective. Expressed concern that this is urgent, just fell on deaf ears. I was told to take the appointment or get out of their station.

A 2 hour interview with a detective the next day. They were to contact E bay for his address. Takes some days if you are lucky.

Cut a long story short, I traced the guy through Ebay messaging. After a few to and fro's I hedged my bets that he was the finder and his story of reporting it to the police was true.

Told him it was stolen and originally mine. Well, I and the police now know where it is. The insurance company has also been notified of its whereabouts.

It was actually his mate that found it but makes no difference to my story.

The finder is to keep it until the insurance company can make a decision on it. I may be able to buy it back. If not, I should be able to get my accessories back.

Where is the original thief? Well we will never know because the police have lost the only CCTV footage showing his face. Really you say, yes, really!

They have been using my closed case for training and lost or deleted it. Still it doesn't matter because they don't seem to care either way anyway.

As for the Ebayers story of him reporting his find to the police, it is true.

The bike was stolen sometime night 15th or early hours the 16th January.

The Ebayer found it outside his works the next morning on the 17th January.

He had reported it that day to Newhaven police station, 0.5 miles round the corner from him.

I could have had this bike back the very next day if the police were not Kin useless. The really do not give a Fkk about cycle or any other so called minor crimes.

Anyway thanks for every ones input on this one.

I'll post the hopefully final chapter as soon as I know its ending.

Reactions: Wicky

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I wish I could argue with your remarks about the police, but sadly they are spot on.

The finder/ebay seller doesn't appear to be a criminal, but if it was me, I would be offering you the bike for nothing.

OK, the insurance company own it, but it's up to you to inform them it has come back into your possession.

As the finder, I would be pleased to reunite someone with their property.

Reactions: SRS

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Nearly three grands worth of property and they can't be arsed to do a bit of internal googling. Bunch of Ar&"£e

D

Deleted member 4366

The day that that Ebay advert appeared, I informed the seller that the bike was stolen and I showed him the picture of the serial number. I asked him to get in touch with SRS through this forum so that he could get it back. It seems that the seller is not quite as honest as he's making out.