heavy duty locks? chains? d/u? other?

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Along with the new bike it is a good idea to check the security.

I'm thinking 4 locks is enough to get someone to move on.

1- Dutch style frame lock around the back wheel or maybe front depends on mounting- axa defender/abus ampero
2 - kryptonite D and cable set
3 - heavy motorbike chain and lock set
4 - disc brake lock for annoyance factor

I'm finding mixed reports on how tough things are but I think varied brands and types can't be a bad idea.

Any advice for the chain? I don't know much about chains and know some look tough but can be awful. It can be heavy as you like as it will be left at work.

Any I should swap? The kryptonite ones are ok?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
That's a lot of kilos of security !

You missed alarm or two though :)

Like this

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=390620154725

Seriously though Ive never seen any bike locked up that securely ! Might even attract attention possibly ?

You could be better off with a little less £ on locks and buy good insurance instead? No lock is perfect after all.

I believe abus and kyrptonite are trusted brands and lots of reviews online......but you generally gets what you pays for with locks.

I've got an upper end kyrptonite d lock and still got bike (touch wood and all that ) But could be just lucky.....

D

Deleted member 4366

If you look at any of the Youtube videos of thieves nicking bikes, you'll see that they use pliers, side-cutters, a hacksaw or bolt-croppers to cut the lock, so you only need to lock the bike with one that will resist those tools to something immovable like a lamppost, thick railings etc, and you'll be reasonably safe.

If you've got a £4000 Haibike, and you park it in the same place every day/night, no locks will protect it, but if you want to park it outside Sainsburys while you nip in for some provisions, then it's the opportunists you need to worry about. This lock is pretty cheap, but resists those tools mentioned above and is long enough to lock your bike to something solid:
Oxford Barrier Bicycle Bike Cycle Armoured Coil Spiral Cable Lock Smoke 1.5m | eBay

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Or there again have you thought about a trailer with a German Shepherd on board ? :D

I agree that 4 locks might persuade someone that your bike is worth pinching, I tend to go with one lock and the knowledge that its insured, as I found life gets too stressful if you are constantly worrying about getting something stolen, so Ive trained myself to chill out over it :cool:

Plus my bike is heavy enough without carting 4 chains around on it.......:(

Lynda :)

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Here is what they would be I guess.

Rahmenschloss DEFENDER RL schwarz [Misc.]: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors - I can't find the exact one I found but a similar type to this that was £15, black bike so shouldn't be too obvious.
Kryptonite Bike Lock & Flex Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors - cheapish but a good make?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-932434-Motorcycle-Disc-Lock/dp/B004P3XW8K/ref=sr_1_69?ie=UTF8&qid=1372803433&sr=8-69&keywords=motorbike+chain - a cheaper version from ebay is like £2-3, don't expect it to stop much but it would be annoying if anything
LOCMAMSS01 - Bike It Mammoth Hexagon Lock and Chain 1.8m: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike - something like this to be left at work

The wheel lock thing and disc lock shouldn't weigh lots, a normal D lock and cable again not much. The big chain won't move from work so weight isn't an issue. £80 or so?

The alarm idea seems good, might look into that.

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
Under the heading 'other' and considerably lighter that the options already listed, don't forget the Pitlock skewers. Mine secure both wheels and the seat post. Having searched the internet high and low, they seem only to be defeated in a workshop using heavy tools.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
D8veh, really? Wow - that 18quid chain can do that ? Seems to cheap to be true

Perhaps an expensive d lock was a mistake then as I've seen them opened with carjacks on youtube

D

Deleted member 4366

Every lock has it's own weakness. If you park your bike in the same place every day with the same lock, and somebody wants it, they can study it, do some research, and come back with the appropriate tool.

The lock I linked to can resist the normal tools that the patrolling bike thief would be carrying. I'd be surprised if you could crack it with a car jack because it's too floppy. There's no perfect solution, but considering, cost, risk, protection and convenience, this one scores highly. It also has the added advantage that it can be looped through the handle of removable batteries.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
D8veh, really? Wow - that 18quid chain can do that ? Seems to cheap to be true

Perhaps an expensive d lock was a mistake then as I've seen them opened with carjacks on youtube
That's why most of the more expensive ones are smaller. Depending on what you plan to lock up against pick the right size. Here bike racks/hoops are common so I would be happy with smaller even if I can't go around lampposts.

Are them pitlocks not just hex key locks? I have a sort of hex key thing to replace the quick release on my old mountain bike now but the key/tool looks rather common.

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
If you look at any of the Youtube videos of thieves nicking bikes, you'll see that they use pliers, side-cutters, a hacksaw or bolt-croppers to cut the lock, so you only need to lock the bike with one that will resist those tools to something immovable like a lamppost, thick railings etc, and you'll be reasonably safe.

If you've got a £4000 Haibike, and you park it in the same place every day/night, no locks will protect it, but if you want to park it outside Sainsburys while you nip in for some provisions, then it's the opportunists you need to worry about. This lock is pretty cheap, but resists those tools mentioned above and is long enough to lock your bike to something solid:
Oxford Barrier Bicycle Bike Cycle Armoured Coil Spiral Cable Lock Smoke 1.5m | eBay
This person seems to quite rate them and a few quid cheaper if you don't mind their tax avoidance - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000R593BK

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Pragmasis do heavy duty chains which we sell. Well reguarded but more money and quite heavy.
Pragmasis Protector Chains Review - BikeRadar

Also lots of good D Locks we sell two types including Squire. We suggest people go for sold secure locks as this is needed for insurance purposes. Locks should be rated to the value of your bike in most instances this would be silver (less than £1500) or gold (more than £1500) for e bikes. Does not have to be expensive as sold scure gold locks start at around £30.

Good luck!

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I agree with electrifying cycles, I would go for a gold rated sold secure d lock either a squire or a kryptonite. That on its own will put off most thieves